Popular Tags: [View All]
Severus Snape
Canada
flag msg tools
Pascal said, "The eternal silence of these infinite spaces terrifies me."
badge
"The heart has its reasons which reason knows nothing of."--Pascal
mbmbmbmbmb
I want to thank the "design team" for the help its fine members have provided in answering my many questions. In the interim, get some rest for there's more to come.

goo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Smith
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Severus, I don't know if you have a chance to play this face to face but when I did all the rules and terms snapped nicely into place. The game does have a form of consistent logic with very few exceptions. I loved the way the rules, such as combat, had some interesting subtleties built in and the way allies are handled I thought was very clever and lead to some real decision making.

We ended up really enjoying it and the play time sped up greatly once we got a good handle on the game. So I do hope you hang in there. Also when you are ready I would love to see one of your reviews on this.

Anyway just think of this post as a word of encouragement although you may not need it

EDIT: I do feel over time this game will grow on people and become very popular.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Severus Snape
Canada
flag msg tools
Pascal said, "The eternal silence of these infinite spaces terrifies me."
badge
"The heart has its reasons which reason knows nothing of."--Pascal
mbmbmbmbmb
Jack, thanks for your support, both for the game, and for my efforts to learn and play the game. What I have in mind is a keen group of high-school students who are quite sharp, but who can devote two hours after school, one day a week (meaning we either have to find a secure place to store the game, or record where we are in the game). I fear that it will take a couple of hours to go through the gist of the game before we can begin playing. If it were a group that could stay for hours, it would not be the same "issue."

I think the nuances of the game demand repeated playings--a plus. But I do feel the rules could have been explained better, with things simplified--a minus, but typical of complex games. The playbook could have been improved, but it looks like a rush to publication.

goo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Bernatz
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As always - we're here to help!

-K
co-developer, CoR

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Smith
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
bentlarsen wrote:
Jack, thanks for your support, both for the game, and for my efforts to learn and play the game. What I have in mind is a keen group of high-school students who are quite sharp, but who can devote two hours after school, one day a week (meaning we either have to find a secure place to store the game, or record where we are in the game). I fear that it will take a couple of hours to go through the gist of the game before we can begin playing. If it were a group that could stay for hours, it would not be the same "issue."

I think the nuances of the game demand repeated playings--a plus. But I do feel the rules could have been explained better, with things simplified--a minus, but typical of complex games. The playbook could have been improved, but it looks like a rush to publication.

:goo:

When I first played we just got on with it as we prefer to learn as we go (with me having read the rules) but this may not be suitable for you. We all have different tolerance levels with rules though, I hate FFG rules with a deep passion and always struggle with them.

I did find the rules well written and easy to reference but I did not fully appreciate the game concepts properly until I played. As an example the heir charging is great fun and we discovered that you DO get a type of progression on the map despite the wintering. That was one of my main concerns I was happy was not an issue. Also the way the allies are all different rather than very similar tells me the designer did not take short cuts.

As to putting away the wintering phase may work for you. You could put the blocks and cards etc in separate containers and there is no need to mark block locations then as they are reset.

The playbook is not the best and that was admitted. It would be nice if someone could rewrite it with a focus on WHY a decision was made as well as covering the mechanics. However I suspect this is not easy to do well.

If I remember you also like Unhappy King Charles! and I actually find that game more complex (although still one of my favourite games)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.