Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: wrong_game [+] [View All]
Charles Park
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So I went ahead and bought High Bohn Plus expansion. But this raised couple of questions.

First: The Green Bean Buildings that cost 3 and 4 coins. Is this considered overpowered? Anyway downfall to it?

Second: Cognac Building that cost 3, which basically takes a coin from those that harvest their bean stew. Now my friends and I argued about this building. What happens to the coins that is placed underneath the building as the rule specified? Does it count in the earned coin stack or no? My friend said no due to the fact that it harms the productivity of the other people doing the work. And for me, I thought it was to prevent players from using the taxed bean coin from being used for anything else but money count.

Third: When someone harvest their bean stew, can they choose which beans they will harvest or does it have to be at random? I realize that my friend took advantage of it by utilizing the bean stew to gather beans he needs for future building usage while discarding the one he does not want like wax and coffee.

Fourth: Can you trade coins for beans?

Fifth: For the Bean Stew field(s), I'm guessing it's implied that all the three fields can be used for bean stew. Is that right or just one?

Sixth: Also, my group and I decided that we cannot upgrade buildings when you buy them. I'm not 100% sure if this is right, we figured that it'll make people slightly more wary and want to make it count. Am I wrong or right? Can I go ahead and buy the one coin and slowly make my way to upgrading? Thanks

Appreciate answers to this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tootsie Roll
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
I came. I saw.
badge
I lost miserably.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm assuming this is not for the base game? I'm not familiar with buildings or stew.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Park
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, sorry it isn't. I tried looking around in the High Bohn Plus forum, not many clarifying answers. Figured I can try asking someone that is familiar with the game and figured it out or something.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Chaffer
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
Grand Rapids Area Boardgamers
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You should probably edit your subject to indicate you are talking about High Bohn Plus.

MusicalMan wrote:
First: The Green Bean Buildings that cost 3 and 4 coins. Is this considered overpowered? Anyway downfall to it?

I think it is a very useful ability, but most of the 3 and 4 coin abilities are pretty great. I have not noticed imbalance, personally.

MusicalMan wrote:
Third: When someone harvest their bean stew, can they choose which beans they will harvest or does it have to be at random? I realize that my friend took advantage of it by utilizing the bean stew to gather beans he needs for future building usage while discarding the one he does not want like wax and coffee.

It doesn't matter, since the bean stew harvest cannot be used to buy other buildings. From the rules:
Quote:
When a player harvests a bean stew field, he uses the beanometer on the 2 or 3 saloon card he owns. He places the thalers so earned under the saloon. Thus, he may not use such thalers to buy buildings or a 3rd bean field.

MusicalMan wrote:

I'm not aware of any rule or power that lets you do this. Trades are beans for beans (or beans for nothing).

MusicalMan wrote:
Fifth: For the Bean Stew field(s), I'm guessing it's implied that all the three fields can be used for bean stew. Is that right or just one?

As many as you want. However, once you plant the second bean in a field, you have committed to your plan and are stuck with it until you harvest that field. From the rules:
Quote:
The owner of a 3 or 4 Saloon may choose to plant o n e bean each of different types in one or more of his fields.

MusicalMan wrote:
Sixth: Also, my group and I decided that we cannot upgrade buildings when you buy them. I'm not 100% sure if this is right, we figured that it'll make people slightly more wary and want to make it count. Am I wrong or right? Can I go ahead and buy the one coin and slowly make my way to upgrading? Thanks

The rules don't say anything about upgrading. You need to make your choice of which building to buy for a given bean. Remember that when all but one players have purchased a building for a given bean, no more of those buildings are available, so you may have to hurry or miss out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Benson
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
...and I'm back in the game!
mbmbmbmbmb
MusicalMan wrote:
So I went ahead and bought High Bohn Plus expansion. But this raised couple of questions.

There are ways to counteract this which I'll mention in the other answers.

MusicalMan wrote:
Second: Cognac Building that cost 3, which basically takes a coin from those that harvest their bean stew. Now my friends and I argued about this building. What happens to the coins that is placed underneath the building as the rule specified? Does it count in the earned coin stack or no? My friend said no due to the fact that it harms the productivity of the other people doing the work. And for me, I thought it was to prevent players from using the taxed bean coin from being used for anything else but money count.

The coins placed under the saloon may not be taken out and used for anything during gameplay and only come out at the very end for scoring. For example, if you have the Red Bean building where you earn points for having coins, those get counted in that. By the way, this Cognac building is a great way to slow down the player making bean stew. In our last game of High Bohn, it was a game-winner.

MusicalMan wrote:

I believe you can choose which beans get turned into coins. However, coins earned from bean stew are not placed in your earnings stack. They go under your saloon and you are not allowed to use them to purchase buildings.

Furthermore, if you're playing High Bohn, you shouldn't be using the Wax or Coffee beans. Any bean not represented by a building should be removed from the game (regardless of the number of players). I suspect this is why the Bean Stew feels overpowered. With so many bean types out, it's easy to get eight different beans. With only nine, bean types, it's much trickier.

MusicalMan wrote:

No. This is expressly forbidden in the rules of the base game.

MusicalMan wrote:

You can make bean stew in any or all of your bean fields (except for a bean field that says you can only plant one type of beans). For example, there's a Chili Bean building where you can only plant Chili Beans. We play that you can not make a bean stew on these fields.

MusicalMan wrote:

This is correct. Once you buy a building of a bean type, you may not buy another building corresponding to the same bean type, and you may not upgrade your building by trading it in and adding a coin. You are stuck with it as they say. Part of the game is deciding when to buy a cheaper building and when to hold out for the more expensive (and more powerful) buildings.

MusicalMan wrote:
Appreciate answers to this.

You're welcome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Park
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I appreciate the responses!
I really do. Mostly cause of the hunches that we did play it wrong and that there was something amiss with the bean buildings for it felt so powerful.

The only reason we went along with this was due to the overwhelming demands from the other players that this was so. I didn't have my rule book and was my fault for not going through it thoroughly before introducing it.

Thank you guys!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.