Popular Tags: [View All]
Severus Snape
Canada
flag msg tools
Pascal said, "The eternal silence of these infinite spaces terrifies me."
badge
"The heart has its reasons which reason knows nothing of."--Pascal
mbmbmbmbmb
In particular, think of the military history, campaigns and battles. And don't forgot to say why you like, what you like.

A bibliography from the designer/design team would be appreciated.

goo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Garland
United States
Charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
Dukes we despise, Kings we cannot be, Gamers are we!
mbmbmbmbmb
I've read and reread Gillingham's Wars of the Roses over the years since it was first published in '84. It's my go to text. Used Lander (same title) in grad school--older, and consisting of linked primary accounts rather than narrative, but it gives good flavor. Ross' Thames & Hudson volume (again, same title--damn that Shakespeare!) is a readable illustrated narrative. His bios of Edward IV and Richard III are the best out there (despite my research project director's love for Kendall's RIII bio when I was doing work on Tricky Ricky as an undergrad. Kendall is just too romanticizing about Richard). The English Monarch volume on Henry VI is quite readable as well. I've got Goodman's military history of the wars, but haven't gone very far in it yet.

Never could get into Weir's writing, so can't talk about hers. The newer works by Hicks and Royle look interesting, but haven't gotten to them yet. Whenever I'm in the mood, I sit down with the Henry VI plays and read 'em back to back.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerald Clarke
United States
Rockaway Park
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I read Costain's Last of the Plantagenets as a kid and got with it a full measure of the period's adventure and romance, then, a few years later, Josephine Tey's The Daughter of Time, and soon after that I first heard of the Richard III Society, so imagine my surprise all these years later when I read Alison Weir's The Princes in the Tower which makes a compelling case for Who else is more likely to have been the villain than is Richard? Now I've begun her book on the whole war, called simply enough The Wars of the Roses. I'b be interested to hear from the BGG community what your opinion is in general on good narrative reads for the period and on the guilt or innocence of Richard in particular.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerald Clarke
United States
Rockaway Park
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Belated apology for my above response not directly pertaining to your specific request for military history and battles. Not much of that, sorry to say, in my recommendations.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christina Kahrl
United States
Unionville
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I really couldn't get into Weir either, but I definitely enjoyed Sarah Gristwood's "Blood Sisters: The Women Behind the War of the Roses." It does a great job of documenting the strategic roles of both Margaret Beaufort and Margaret of Burgundy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.