Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Fraker
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmb
Hey everyone,
I've just recently downloaded and read the quickstart rules, scenarios, etc, and I'm really intrigued by your game, J.D. I've been reading and rereading the rule set and example play alomst constantly for the past few days. I'm a little confused by something. I'm not too familiar with airplane aerodynamics, so I'm having a hard time grasping turning and banking. I can see that if you're banked right (right wing lower than the left) that you can make "clockwise around compass rose (N -> NNE)" turns (like the superelevation on highways during curves). If you roll right again do you then become inverted rigt banked? And if so, can you still make "clockwise around the compass rose (N -> NNE)" turns or do you start making "counterclockwise around the compass rose (N -> NNW)" turns?
I hope the question wasn't too confusing.
Ex: I'm flying with level att. and level bank. My heading is N. I want to change facing to NNE. So first I bank right. Now I start and finish my facing change. Next turn I'm lvl att. and right banked. My heading is NNE. Then I roll right again to become Inverted Right Bank. Now if I change facing again will I be facing N or NE?
Thanks, everyone for reading this and your input.
-mike

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.D. Webster
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi There and welcome. You should join us on the main Yahoo groups site and play a game by email with other beginners.

To answer your question - Keyword is bank direction. If you are in a RIGHT bank, you can turn right. If in a left bank, you turn left. Whether the bank is upright or inverted doesn't matter with regards to horizontal turns.

Being upright or inverted comes into play when you want to change nose attitude and must decide to push or pull the nose around.

Hope this helps. In both your examples you would continue to turn clockwise.

JD

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Fraker
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmb
Hey J.D.
Thanks for the quick reply. Last night I joined the yahoo group and sent a message to join the QS8 group as an observer. When QS9 opens I hope to be apart of it.
And just one more quick question while I got you:
rolling right: LVL -> RB -> IRB -> ILVL -> ILB -> LB -> LVL
is that correct?
Thanks again for your great user support.
-mike

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.D. Webster
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
That's all correct.

Now for that inverted upright stuff. A "Pull" transition always means pulling the nose up relative to the pilot. A continuous pull around the pitch circle would describe a loop.

LVL > SHC > STC > VC > ISTC > ISHC > INV >
ISTD > ISHD > VD > STD > SHD > LVL

A "push" goes the other way.

Tell your airplane interested friends about us!

:-)

JD

We're always friendly when recruiting new targets!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Dieringer
United States
Schenectady
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Wow, I need to get a hold of the QS rules now!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham Smallwood
United States
Santa Ana
California
flag msg tools
badge
TWO Equals in an "if" statement!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
JD's session report made me printout the QS rules and try pushing a plane around my desk (boss was out). His attention to threads like this just made me put in an order for the whole game. I'm not shilling or anything; I just love well put together small printing games. (Caylus is not actually the only game printed, btw.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.D. Webster
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the complement, hope you are satisfied, and hopefully you have more than a passing interest in WW2 air combat.

JD

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.