Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Get on it.
http://www.plaidhatgames.com/news/236

The highlights:

One player (or a team of two) plays the conservative, traditionally ruling Founders faction, while the other player or team leads the vicious Vox Populi revolution.

Win by getting to 10 victory points. Points are earned by holding control of the six territories that make up the game board and by being the first to meet goals that appear from a deck of cards each round.

Each player gets one major special ability for the game, courtesy of one of four leaders of their faction. Each player also has their own full, unique deck which is full of unique cards that distinguish the Vox Populi from the Founders. Each has their own strengths. 5 cards are drawn for use each round.

Each card has a special ability of some sort, plus three numbers representing the card's strength for influence, combat, and silver eagles (money).

Players can upgrade all their cards of a certain type by increasing their value in one of the three aforementioned areas, or, sometimes, unlocking the cards' ability. (Some cards' abilities are unusable until they're unlocked.) Cards are upgraded by payment, by winning a battle, etc.

During a round, players decide to use their cards either as influence to push that round's World Event in their favor, as strength in battle, or as money for structures (tokens) and units (miniatures).

During a player's turn, that player can move up to four units one space each. If the units need to get around faster, they can cruise around on the Sky-Line as far as they want, but if a dice roll shows the Sky-Line move went bad, the player has to either lose the unit or discard cards. The Songbird and Airship miniatures can move up to two spaces along the Sky-Line without risk.

Battles are very straightforward, and can be against Booker, the other player, or early on, against the other hostile forces in Columbia. Each player plays cards for their combat values and effects, and rolls a die for each unit in the battle (better units roll better dice). The loser loses one unit and must move the rest of their units involved in the battle to one of their bases, while the winner holds the space and gets a free card upgrade.

Booker and Elizabeth, both non-player characters, move around the board and progress along three possible story paths in their adventure in Columbia, with both players taking advantage of and being disrupted by their impact on the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Walton
United States
Ada
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow! I love Plaid Hat, and I love Bioshock but I just don't typically enjoy dudes on a map games so I've been a bit hesitant to pull the trigger on this one. But now that I've read the rules I think I might just have to preorder this.

Upgrading your cards is so cool! I love the idea that you start out with a deck of cards that's pretty good but you can actually change how good each individual card is. It's a neat new twist on deck-building where instead of pulling out the bad cards and putting in better ones, you just make the ones you have better and better, and you get to choose how! Plus it's obviously very thematic to the source material so I think it's a great way to emulate that part of the video game.

I'm also a fan of the fact that nobody gets to play Booker. This way noone has to fight over it at the beginning of the game. A handy solution to a problem that many licensed games could easily fall into. Well done sirs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ioticus
United States
Harrisonburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After reading the rules I'm very interested in this game -- it looks like a lot of fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yeren Shafigov

Almaty
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules are very interesting & simple. This game is awesome! But there is still one feature that I don't understand: what the point of controlling Elizabeth?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Sterling
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It probably has to do with the victory point cards. I'm guessing it also slows down Booker since he'll have to jump there next?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yeren Shafigov

Almaty
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hectarion wrote:
I'm guessing it also slows down Booker since he'll have to jump there next?

It makes sense but rules says nothing about moving Elizabeth on the board by player. She moves only with event card, if I'm understanding it right.

So, I'm controlling Elizabeth & Booker will always wreak havoc in my locations? Doesn't seem fair enough. shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corvin the Raven
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I hope the silver eagles will be metal or at least plastic tokens, not cardboard.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Beck
United States
Beavercreek
Ohio
flag msg tools
The Electronic Eremite
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
eRen4ik wrote:
The rules are very interesting & simple. This game is awesome! But there is still one feature that I don't understand: what the point of controlling Elizabeth?

I think there may be action cards that give you benefits and VP cards. Also, if you look at the Elizabeth track, there is a point where, if the Founders control Elizabeth they can immediately destroy the airship or if the Vox control Elizabeth they get control over the Songbird for a turn!

EDIT: OMG! I just noticed there are MULTIPLE Elizabeth timelines! So that means that other timelines may have much different results for controlling Elizabeth.

This game just OOZES theme!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Magdzinski
United States
Matthews
NC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you draw 5 action cards to start the game? Doesn't say so in the set up and I can't tell if you intentionally have no cards to start.

I'm curious how the Booker movement rules play out; it seems (thematically accurate) that the moment you control Elizabeth in her space, it's very likely Booker will attack you next turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Connellan
United States
Binghamton
New York
flag msg tools
badge
I am the white void. I am the cold steel. I am the just sword.
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know if this question can be answered here, but: will the board game be as racially charged as the video game? One of the huge elements in the game was the severe racism of the Founders and how Fitzroy used that to galvanize her people into extreme violence. I know some places (like the Hall of Heroes) were extremely bigoted, but they were amazing set pieces and those elements would be missing from a BG translation. Of course, it's a fine line to tread.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray Greenley
United States
Harleysville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Greetings Commander
mbmbmbmbmb
ScubaSteveKzoo wrote:
Do you draw 5 action cards to start the game? Doesn't say so in the set up and I can't tell if you intentionally have no cards to start.

Interesting. I would guess it's an oversight. The way the turn structure is set up, it seems unlikely that they would intend you to start with an empty hand. But I suppose it is possible they mean for the first round to be played without cards in hand.

After reading the rules, the game definitely sounds very interesting. I really like how they handled Booker/Elizabeth.

I also think the idea of upgrading your cards sounds very fun. You really can customize your deck, but it doesn't pad it out like traditional deckbuilding.

It's too bad they couldn't come up with a more elegant way of combating a runaway leader problem, though. Just capping upgrades at 3 more than your opponent should keep things from getting out of hand, but it feels a little forced. And I can see how having Booker always 'vote' with the losing player might seem arbitrary. I doubt I can think of better solutions, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Arthur Ellis
United States
Ashland
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, it was an oversight. The file has now been replaced and now says during setup that each player should draw 5 cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray Greenley
United States
Harleysville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Greetings Commander
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent! So now the question is... which file will make it to the printer?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Magdzinski
United States
Matthews
NC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
joepinion wrote:
Yeah, it was an oversight. The file has now been replaced and now says during setup that each player should draw 5 cards.

Thanks for the clarification.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Papa
Philippines
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Still no info on the mechanic of the promo handyman mini from the premium/songbird editions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JH
United States
Albany
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The promo mini is just a mini, from what I can tell. No mechanic. I guess you could play with an extra blue Handyman if you wanted.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas Osterhoudt
United States
Bow
NH
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My guess is that you do get to move Elizabeth when you have control of her and you can use her to have Booker attack your opponent. Also keep in mind there are three Elizabeth timelines with a lot of text that we haven't seen. They will probably explain her use in the game a lot more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Tierney
United States
Greensburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules seem really interesting, definitely worth checking out.
The one thing that comes across as a minor annoyance is the thematic disconnect between your plastic units and your cards. You could have your Songbird figure attacking one side of the board, and play your Songbird card in combat the other. It's a small quibble though, and overall this game looks really fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Picioccio
United States
Bellevue
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Man, they had a perfect justification for a turn limit to end the game...

(MAJOR game spoilers)

"After X rounds,
Spoiler (click to reveal)
the war ends because at the end of Bookers' and Elizabeths' journeys, Columbia never existed.
"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.