Popular Tags: [View All]
Richard Andersson
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GAME 8
Date: 2013-04-11
Length: 180 minutes? (didn't keep track)
Spoilers: Pack 1-3, Pocket 1: 3 Missiles
Packs/pockets opened during game: -

PLAYERS (FACTION AND POSITION)
Richard (Saharan Republic in Western Australia)
Linus (Mutants in Ontario) WON!
Andreas (Die Mechaniker in Brazil)
Jon (Imperial Balkania in Great Britain)
Mattias (Enclave of the Bear in Afghanistan)

DESCRIPTION

A rather long game with many potential winners, finally ended with Linus' first victory; no more starting VPs for him!

Mattias started out with an all-out attack which took Jon and most of us by surprise, annihilating all the Imperial Balkanians in Great Britain, stealing 2 resource cards in the process. Then Mattias threatened to conquer a third HQ and also succeding in the starting mission; to conquer an entire continent, or to collect resource cards and trade them in for a VP. Mattias didn't go for victory directly, but rather tried to take Europe and move his HQs into better defendable positions. Later, Mattias had his chance, both one and two times, but was stopped in a combined effort of the other players, or rather he was stopped because of many of their heavy bombs. During the end of the game, Mattias tried to hit Andreas' fortified HQ in Brazil for 3 turns, but left with only slight damage to the fortifications.

Richard started in Western Australia, however progressed very slow as he didn't dare to take the continent and loose it to Mattias (as that would be a sure win). After some turns, as he conquered Sosaria, stood against the attack from Mattias, and had 4 resource cards to trade in, he did that for one VP, used the sneak attack to conquer the Bear Enclave HQ in Russia, and went for Europe to try to take the former Balkanian HQ and win. However, he was stopped predictably by a combined effort of dice and missiles. Later, Richard tried to stop Andreas' winning move by taking his Sosarian forces into Middle East and killing of some of the attack force. However in doing so, he let Sosaria open for the Mutant attack.

Jon didn't have the most joyful start, as he started his first move in Central Africa with 3 troops and no HQ. After occupying the mercenary in Madagascar, he slowly began to grow. As soon as he had grown to a reasonably strength, he got caught in the Fallout zone, wiping out all of his army, except for a single merc survivor. As soon as he had grown to a reasonably strength, he got caught in the Fallout zone, wiping out all of his army, except for a single merc survivor (sic). (Exactly the same incident happened twice!)

Andreas started in his major city in Brazil, and got quite the start with lots of population boosts, and a fortified event that gave him a fortification in his major city. He started out by keeping a good defence for any possible attacks by Mattias. After some time, he went north towards the mutants in North America. At the end, when all missiles had been fired, he had what seemed like a must-win situation, after he got to switch the mission card via an event to the amphibious assault mission card, traded in lots of troops, and was heading towards Northern Europe and to the HQ in Ontario via Greenland. However, he fell just about short somehow, mostly due to the defending dice being on fire.

Linus started out in North America, which he didn't get to hold for any round. He held out in about the same spot for the entire game, fighting with Andreas mostly over resource cards, while trying to stop Mattias and later Andraes from winning. At the end game, he got a free passage into Sosaria, claiming the HQ in Western Australia, and claiming a mission card, which together with his starting VP and HQ earned him his first victory.

INGAME CHANGES
Fortification (Cali II)
Fortification attacked for 3 points
Tore 2 Fallout cards
Tore Fortify Card

ENDGAME CHANGES
Continent named: Småland (Europe)
Resources: Central Africa +1 (2), Peru +1 (2), Scandinavia +1 (2), New Guinea +1 (2)

BOARD AFTER 8TH GAME

Risk Legacy Campaign - Current Modification Summary. SPOILER!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Andersson
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It was a hard decision to leave Sosaria for Linus, while trying to stop Andreas from winning. I was uncomfortable in having to stop one player from winning, while handing the victory over to another player. Andreas had still a great chance to win even though my interference, but given the outcome, my move was essential in stopping Andreas. If he'd also had the troops I removed, he would have won. But even so, my chances of winning was zero, since Linus got to face an undefended continent the turn after.

I am not sure how to think in these situations. I'm against favoring one player before the other, so giving that, the move I should have made is to simply sit back and wait without attacking Andreas, but preventing Linus from winning as well. At least, that's how I would like other players to play against me, if I were in Andreas' position.

Ok, this is often how Risk games develop, one player is stopped while the next players sweeps in and wins, but in this situation it was obvious from the beginning what would happen if Andreas was stopped. Simply arguing that Linus should win, since he had fewer victories than Andreas is not an argument I like and think is fair. But for this time only, I guess it could be a valid argument, because it made Linus less of a threat, since now he will not start with an extra VP in future games.

However, given the same situation in the future, I will try to NOT interfere against one player who's going to win, if it most certainly leads to another player winning instead - even though the first player has more wins than the second one. I don't know what other Risk Legacy players think about this, please let me know. Of course, often it's hard to analyze the chances for other players but the strongest one to win, so what I'm referring to is the more obvious situations.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Washington Irving
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think beating up on the meta leader (person with most wins) is a legitimate strategy during the opening 15 games. Though everyone should come into the game looking to win for themselves.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mar hawkman
msg tools
For all have sinned and fallen short of the glory
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, Risk is best played with "King of the Mountain" rules. Whoe ever is ahead is the one people should beat on most.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.