Popular Tags: [View All]
JH
United States
Albany
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've trimmed down the excess plastic on my unassembled minis, but I have had little experience with this sort of project so I want to be sure I won't mess anything up going forward. So a few questions:

1. Would it be better to paint the bases before gluing on the figures, or after? Seems like plastic-paint would be a weaker bond than plastic-plastic.

2. How important is it to trim down the lighter mold lines along the edges of the figures? Some run over very detailed areas that I don't want to flatten out.

3. Anyone have a good solution for changing out Barker's two weapons? I've seen some involving magnets and drilling holes for them (for Hurley, too), but I'm hesitant to damage the model for this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G G
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Glue everything before painting. It gives you something to hold onto and work with.

2. Mold lines will show under paint, so there's no really good answer.

3. Make the gun you like better, and call it a day. If you want to play the other, it simply "counts as" the other gun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JH
United States
Albany
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
But then I've got this useless spare plastic gun noooooooo!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Niemann
Germany
Hagen a.T.W.
Niedersachsen
flag msg tools
www.spielträumer.de
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ooh! Ooh! I have questions too!

Since some of the delicate parts are bent quite a bit, would you recommend the hot water treatment *before* gluing? I mean, if the pieces even fit (I have not tried – I need to finish Dreadfleet finally before I start on SW).

And regarding the resin casting residue: wash before assembly?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JH
United States
Albany
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can answer those! On the Studio McVey blog, it's recommended to reshape the pieces first — try it with just the smaller one and reshape to fist the larger one (so if an arm/gun combo isn't lining up with the body, dunk the gun).

And yes, wash first (at least, that's what I've seen recommended).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Rose
United States
Linden
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sarcasmorator wrote:
3. Anyone have a good solution for changing out Barker's two weapons? I've seen some involving magnets and drilling holes for them (for Hurley, too), but I'm hesitant to damage the model for this.

I used magnets on my Lights Out Barker (only one I painted so far) and a little bit of sheet metal from a metal base. It really was not hard, I used a file instead of a drill. I'm pretty sure I posted pictures of what I did somewhere in this forum
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Rose
United States
Linden
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This topic shows my effort:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/917266/opti-camo-figures...

Jake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G G
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Daniel666 wrote:
Since some of the delicate parts are bent quite a bit, would you recommend the hot water treatment *before* gluing?

And regarding the resin casting residue: wash before assembly?

The Grendlr body halves and mouth *must* be heated and reset before gluing, no other way about it. If you have other bent part, you should heat set them as well while you're at it.

Resin casting residue shouldn't be a big deal, but it wouldn't hurt to wash it off first.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JH
United States
Albany
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My Grendlr actually fit together reasonably well out of the bag, though I'll be heating it anyway just to ensure the best fit.

Jake, I think your post there was the one I originally saw for using magnets. What size magnet did you use?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G G
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had like 1/16" gap OOTB, but heat-set gave a *perfect* fit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JH
United States
Albany
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I ended up doing that for the Grendlr and yeah, I'm glad I did. Perfect fit now. Fixed a wonky Scythe Witch fing-longer, too. I'm going to do it with all the female Samaritans as well, because the arms don't seem to match up quite right on most.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.