Hide
5 Posts

DungeonQuest (third edition)» Forums » Rules

Subject: Catacombs Experience and Questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jason Davis
msg tools
Before I begin I should mention I am playing Challara solo while using an otherwise standard ruleset. So, I decide to enter the Catacombs for the first time. I enter the Catacombs and immediately draw a Exit Event card from the Catacombs deck. It reads "If you wish, you may exit the Catacombs." I chose not to exit since it seems I had the choice and I had just got there. I should probably mention my strategy was to see if the Catacombs are a better way to shoot to the Treasure Room. Here is my first question: Am I allowed to exit later with this event card? If I choose to remain I assume my chance to exit vanishes once I draw another Catacombs card since it represents me moving further into them.

The second catacombs card I draw is a Hole In The Roof Event that asks me to test agility and if I pass I *may* exit the Catacombs. I choose again not to exit the Catacombs. My second question is: If I fail the Agility test, must I test again? I presume that I can move on and draw another Catacombs card instead of testing a second time since I am not interested in leaving just yet.

I draw my third Catacombs card. I draw a Treasure Chest loot card. Given that I chose not to exit the Catacombs both times I had the chance I assume I must continue on deeper into the area until the next exit presents itself.

I draw my fourth Catacombs card and it is a Bane Spider threat card. I keep it and draw a Vampire threat card as my fifth Catacombs card. Oh boy! I test armor, fail, and place a wound token. I have 11 wounds on Challara at this moment. I advance the sun token and Challara dies. I had no chance to save myself since I had no unstable potions to use earlier and I am fairly sure the 1 wound/turn effect takes place before I can roll for an unstable potion anyway. Basically what happened was the giant centipede hit me VERY hard earlier, Ferrox followed, and the Vampire did the rest. Failing to ward off the vampire is pretty much a delayed death warrant even without Ferrox.

Given that Challara's special ability cannot be used in the Catacombs, it may not have been a good idea to stay as long as I did or to even have entered at all given my damaged state at the time. heh! Dying has never been so much fun though! I am starting to grow a strong liking for deadly games. Died on 10th turn this time. (Catacombs and Challara do not seem to mix, but I am always looking for new experiences.) (Still had a lot of fun.) Answer my questions if you have time and I apologize for the long post of what may be full of perhaps obvious stuff.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cadu
Brazil
São Gonçalo
Rio de Janeiro
flag msg tools
badge
Spectreman fan!
mbmbmbmbmb
Silentglade wrote:
Here is my first question: Am I allowed to exit later with this event card? If I choose to remain I assume my chance to exit vanishes once I draw another Catacombs card since it represents me moving further into them.

Yes, you are right. I think "Catacombs" like a deep darkness place that makes very difficult to find de same way if a hero decides to come back.

Silentglade wrote:
My second question is: If I fail the Agility test, must I test again? I presume that I can move on and draw another Catacombs card instead of testing a second time since I am not interested in leaving just yet.

Yes, you are right again. Even when you succeed at first time, you can choose still on catacombs instead of leave.

Silentglade wrote:
I draw my third Catacombs card. I draw a Treasure Chest loot card. Given that I chose not to exit the Catacombs both times I had the chance I assume I must continue on deeper into the area until the next exit presents itself.

Ok. This chest could be the first card on catacombs, isnt'it?

Silentglade wrote:
I draw my fourth Catacombs card and it is a Bane Spider threat card. I keep it and draw a Vampire threat card as my fifth Catacombs card. Oh boy! I test armor, fail, and place a wound token.

Its always happen...

Silentglade wrote:
I have 11 wounds on Challara at this moment.

Ops...

Silentglade wrote:
I advance the sun token and Challara dies.

Again... its always happen...

Silentglade wrote:
I had no chance to save myself since I had no unstable potions to use earlier and I am fairly sure the 1 wound/turn effect takes place before I can roll for an unstable potion anyway.

Unstable potions are... unstable. If you had a healing rune...

Silentglade wrote:
Basically what happened was the giant centipede hit me VERY hard earlier, Ferrox followed, and the Vampire did the rest.

Man... Are you cursed? Ok, the game is hard, but this...

Silentglade wrote:
Failing to ward off the vampire is pretty much a delayed death warrant even without Ferrox.

Exactly.

Silentglade wrote:
Dying has never been so much fun though!

Yes. Dungeonquest is amazing when you win, and when you lose.

Silentglade wrote:
Died on 10th turn this time.

You did it so far...

Silentglade wrote:
(Catacombs and Challara do not seem to mix, but I am always looking for new experiences.)

Challara is strongest at dungeon due her ability. Catacombs is not a good idea to her.

Silentglade wrote:
(Still had a lot of fun.)

Our sessions too.

Silentglade wrote:
Answer my questions if you have time and I apologize for the long post of what may be full of perhaps obvious stuff.

I hope your questions were answered. Have fun.

Cadu.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafal Areinu
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yup, yup, if you decide not to leave you have to go on until you find exit card. It's even more fun if you meet Naga(though our group met her like 2 times, but both times it was hilarious. And sad. Sad for the player, hilarious for everyone else).

I usually leave catacombs on my 1st occasion, even if my "plan" was to go little further. Especially Hugo and Dwarf have to beware, because all monsters in catacombs are "surprise attacks" that deal you as many wounds as you failed luck test by... And they have 3 luck.

But there's nothing better than going into catacombs on 1st turn, finding that gem for 4000 gold, then never finding the exit

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
Areinu wrote:
But there's nothing better than going into catacombs on 1st turn, finding that gem for 4000 gold, then never finding the exit

I get dismayed every time I find that Diamond. For me, it's always an omen - finding the diamond is an omen saying NOW YOU WILL NEVER GET OUT, FOOL!!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafal Areinu
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sigmazero13 wrote:
Areinu wrote:

I get dismayed every time I find that Diamond. For me, it's always an omen - finding the diamond is an omen saying NOW YOU WILL NEVER GET OUT, FOOL!!!!

It's really ominous. Once I took out that Diamond out of the deck and it still showed up. True story.

Spoiler (click to reveal)
Apparently my girlfriend put it back.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.