Michael Hopcroft
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My care assistant and I have had the ongoing project of reorganizing the shelf in my apartment where most of my boardgames and RPG books are stored. It's better than it was but I still see problems.

If I can get enough money, I'm thinking of trying to track down a professional to do it. It should be about a 1-2 hour job for someone with the right skills. What sort of business does that sort of thing, and how much would I have to pay?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Walker
United States
North Andover
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
So many douchebags, so few bullets.
mbmbmbmbmb
Michael Hopcroft wrote:
My care assistant and I have had the ongoing project of reorganizing the shelf in my apartment where most of my boardgames and RPG books are stored. It's better than it was but I still see problems.

If I can get enough money, I'm thinking of trying to track down a professional to do it. It should be about a 1-2 hour job for someone with the right skills. What sort of business does that sort of thing, and how much would I have to pay?

You're going to pay someone to put games on a shelf?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bat Profile
United States
Sandworms USA
Plateau of Leng
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pffft, i reorganize mine every time i get a new game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Hopcroft
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hatemachine wrote:
You're going to pay someone to put games on a shelf?

A decade and a half ago I did something similar to the huge videotape collection I had at the time, and the entire apartment. The idea was to make everything completely organized and easy to find.

It's more than putting games on a shelf, just like stocking a library is more than putting books on shelves. One of the problems I have with my current layout is that I fear knocking things over when I take things down. Some of my older games don't have labeling on the box side that faces the front. Printed out PDFs in binders have few if any identifiers at all. Books do not always stand up. That sort of thing.

It's not decided, but the idea of having it done and getting it done in such a way that it will work for a long time, even when I buy new games, has a certain appeal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Unless your system is "arrange in order of acquisition date", as soon as you buy one new game, your system goes out the window and you have to re-organize again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Austin
United Kingdom
Solihull
West Midlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I just plonk them on the shelf in size order, I find that at least 30-40% of all my games are all 'ticket to ride' sized. - Easy enough -

Also, make sure your games aren't stacked to high , otherwise the ones at the bottom will either get squashed or you'll have difficulty pulling them out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Austin
United Kingdom
Solihull
West Midlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Only you know the order that you want them, nobody can dictate that to you. Why not list of your games down on your computer and then put them in the order you want... then your caregiver could just take your list and order them as you've listed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alison Mandible
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would google "professional organizer" and see if you can find someone near you-- I only know this profession exists because a friend of mine is one, so I can't tell you much about it, but my impression is that these are people who regularly make house calls to help people organize their stuff.

As with any private contractors, they might have a minimum job size, or specialize in something other than what you need, but it's worth a try.

I have no idea what you should expect to pay.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bella
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Your profile shows you have 37 games. If that's still correct, it may make more sense for you to come up with logical grouping/stacking plans on your own, since it is not a huge number (relative to many BGG game addicts, that is!).

If however you are unable to physically move the games around easily, then having your care assistant, a friend or relative, or if necessary a paid organizer do that part makes sense. Just make sure that the chosen arrangement allows you to access these games (and put them away) yourself afterwards if possible. If you are very busy with other work/projects (or just don't like organizing that much), and have the extra money to pay an organizer (even if you could do it yourself), that is certainly a reasonable choice for you. (For some people on BGG, reorganizing their games is nearly as much fun as playing them! And for some, paying a professional for this kind of work just isn't in the budget). If it's what's best for YOU, then that's what counts. Look under "Organizer-Professional" or "Organizing Services" in your local yellow pages, and call them to compare prices.

If you have even more $ to spare, there are many closet organization companies that could build you a whole new shelf system specifically designed for games!

Remember in any case to leave space for more games!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.