Leonard Moses II
United States
Hixson
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
---Only A-----------(Bad)---------Equal AB-----------(Bad)---------------Only B---
Lots of points......................Lots of points................................Lots of Points

Does this remind anyone of any game they have played in the past? Did it play okay with two, say 60% combined between best and recommended plus?

I apologize if this thread would fit better into the Game Design forum. I don't want to design a game to try out this idea though. I just want to play something that exists.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Speaking generally, that sounds like a game that rewards specialization rather than diversity. Although not to the extreme, Stone Age rewards specializing in one area, to a degree.

In Roll Through the Ages: The Bronze Age, it seems best to focus on either developments OR monuments, although it's hard to avoid at least dabbling in the other area.

In San Juan, there are 2 main directions, and usually players strongly focus on one or the other.

I think Terra Prime rewards specialization (after the initial ramp-up phase), but honestly I have never really felt like I have gotten a good handle on strategy in that game.

I suspect designers shy away from extreme specialization because it would end up with the players each in their own corner, not really competing with each other.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nelson
United States
Draper
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
darkestoceans wrote:
---Only A-----------(Bad)---------Equal AB-----------(Bad)---------------Only B---
Lots of points......................Lots of points................................Lots of Points

I'm lost on what is goig on in that diagram..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clinton Coddington
United States
Woodbury
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
peakhope wrote:
Speaking generally, that sounds like a game that rewards specialization rather than diversity. Although not to the extreme,

See, looking at the post I thought it was just the opposite of that.
I have to say I agree with the post above mine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leonard Moses II
United States
Hixson
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well the idea is that you want only A. The closer you get to that then you get more points. Or you want 50% A and 50% B. Which is the middle. So you'd get the same amount of points as only A. Or you would want only B.

The closer you get to only A, 50/50 AB, or only B the more points you would get. You decide as you go which of the 3 paths is your goal. If you more closely achieve your goal then you do better. You specialize in the perfect blend of 50/50, towards A as much as possible, or towards B as much as possible.

75/25 in either direction and you fail. Horribly.

No one has played a game with that kind of scoring? And there's thousands of them? There is some sort of flaw in this that would make it not work?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nelson
United States
Draper
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Diamonds Club is the only one I have played that feels this way; not that it is anything like that, it just feels like it.

Agricola might work this idea if you use the cards (non-family version).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Oops. I correctly read 7/8 of the diagram. I missed the center "lots of points". I think in my head that one was "loss of points".

Yeah, that scoring system seems even odder than one that would promote pure diversity.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
He's looking real sharp in his 1940's fedora. He's got nerves of steel, an iron will, and several other metal-themed attributes. His fur is water tight and he's always up for a fight.
badge
He's a semi-aquatic egg-laying mammal of action. He's a furry little flat-foot who'll never flinch from a fray. He's got more than just mad skills, he's got a beaver tail and a bill.
mbmbmbmbmb
2019: The ARCTIC

So, in this game, during the game you mine for stuff. And if you turn in sets of the three different things you can mine, you get lots of points (rewarding diversity).

At the end of the game, you get more points per platform you have out of each type... so you want to have specialized platforms in order to get the most points (rewarding specialization).

My familiarity is too low to know if that is going to fit your diagram perfectly or not, but it's the game that reminds me most of it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl von Laudermann
United States
Unspecified
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
So basically, this is equivalent to: "your score is whatever you have the least amount of, but if you have 0 of something it doesn't count against you".

A number of Knizia games satisfy the first half, but not the part about zeroes not counting. E.g., Ingenious and Tigris & Euphrates. Lost Cities kind of feels like it satisfies the second half, in that you aren't penalized for a color that you have played no cards of, but as soon as you play one your score for that color could potentially be negative. But there's no incentive to even out your colors, so it doesn't satisfy the first half.

Offhand I'm not aware of a game that satisfies both parts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Galaad Maal
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The scoring for gems in Ys maybe? That varies a lot depending not only on how much you have of any given colour, but also on how many other players have - and again on the overall value of different colours by the end of the game. Which is a horribly imprecise description... if anyone can say it better - please do!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.