Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
8 Posts

Wargames» Forums » General

Subject: Best Books on American revolutiofnary War from a Grand Strategy Persepctive rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Karl Kreder
United States
Nuevo
California
flag msg tools
Founder of the The Wargame Bootcamp (https://www.boardgamegeek.com/guild/962)
badge
My hero Grumpy Bonaparte
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry if others have asked this, I couldn't find any in here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Brandon
United States
North Bend
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really enjoyed Barbara Tuchman's "The First Salute"

http://www.amazon.com/The-First-Salute-Barbara-Tuchman/dp/03...

Quote:
"Narrative history in the great tradition . . ." Chicago Tribune Two-time winner of the Pulitzer Prize and bestselling author Barbara W. Tuchman analyzes the American Revolution in a brilliantly original way, placing the war in the historical context of the centuries-long conflicts between England and both France and Holland. This compellingly written history paints a magnificent portrait of General George Washington and recounts in riveting detail the events responsible for the birth of our nation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael McCalpin
United States
McKinney
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RogCBrand wrote:
I really enjoyed Barbara Tuchman's "The First Salute"

I quite agree: it takes the Revolution out of the familiar continental US and shows it as part of a larger war.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iain K
United States
Arvada
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
I have Liberty by Thomas Fleming and though I haven't read it cover to cover (yet) I have found it delivers solid and well written coverage of the war at both a strategic and more tactical level.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Heaney
United States
Quincy
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Manages to really get at the big, strategic issues for all sides and then gets down into the details of their execution (or failure), year by year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Daniels
United States
Montgomery
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
theaney wrote:

Manages to really get at the big, strategic issues for all sides and then gets down into the details of their execution (or failure), year by year.

I am reading this now and finding it quite enjoyable and informative. It was recommended to me here at the geek!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christina Kahrl
United States
Unionville
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ferling's book is superb, can't recommend it strongly enough.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Parkin
United Kingdom
Sunderland
Tyne and Wear
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A Few Bloody Noses brings the French/British struggle into focus and is a very readable history.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.