Hide
10 Posts

Mage Wars Arena» Forums » General

Subject: Enough cards to built the 4 books? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ben
msg tools
Does the game (withtout the expansion), come with enough cards to build the 4 recommended mage books without the need to change cards between play. In other words, can I have the 4 spellbook, at the same time, with the base game?

If not, will buying tome 1 and 2 will enable me to do this?

thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Vanden Heuvel
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Gaamessz... need more Gaammesz...
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, you can build 4 decks with many cards to spare using the base set.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Compulsive Completist
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You won't have enough cards to make up the four recommended starting decks though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Vanden Heuvel
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Gaamessz... need more Gaammesz...
mbmbmbmbmb
Hockey Mask wrote:
You won't have enough cards to make up the four recommended starting decks though.

?? yes you do. That's why they are the recommended starting decks. They aren't all that great though... but that's a different question.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Hjelme
Norway
Arendal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In the frist printing of the game only two of the recomended stàrting decks cold be buildt at once. In the second printing, Thea re-did the cardlists so that all four could be buildt at once. The 2nd printing spellbooks can be downloaded no the website or in the files section here om bgg.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marshall LaFleur
United States
Burlington
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The 2nd version of the starter spellbooks are much better than the originals anyway. It is great for demo purposes having all 4 of the sample ones pre-built so I can just have each person trying it pick one and go with it. Right now though I have two apprentice spellbooks and 3 full on-custom made spellbooks put together with my core+ Warlord vs Forcemaster set.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Samson
msg tools
Is it worth buying multiple core sets, or are you better off getting the seperate expansion packs?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marshall LaFleur
United States
Burlington
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
2 core sets can be good if 4 people are playing from one persons collection. Really each person should just have a core set. The ideal way to expand it into 4 players is buy the seperate set of action markers and maybe just make your own board or use someone elses if you can. The other expansions do a better job of giving you all of the cards you could possibly need for cheaper, but it can be good also to get those extra mana tokens.

In short, no not worth it unless you have money to blow and just have to have lots of stuff for lots of players who won't buy their own.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Samson
msg tools
If you have 4 people playing from 1 set, would it be worth getting multiples of Core Spell Tome & Core Spell Tome 2?

I am considering buying 2x Cores and 1 of each of the expansions. Is that a good way to go?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marshall LaFleur
United States
Burlington
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Relic07 wrote:
If you have 4 people playing from 1 set, would it be worth getting multiples of Core Spell Tome & Core Spell Tome 2?

I am considering buying 2x Cores and 1 of each of the expansions. Is that a good way to go?

probably only one or the other. Granted it can be nice to have extra copies of leather boots and gloves for more flexibility. I'd say getting both is a waste of money though.

I own just the core set and the Forcemaster vs warlord expansion. Right now I have 2 apprentice spellbooks and 3 custom made normal spell books with plenty of cards left over.

If you want to be able to play very competitively as well as having components for 4 people to play then get 1 core set, 1 of each spell tomb, forcemaster vs warlord (only ever get one copy of that because it has more than enough of everything in it) and the set of yellow and green action markers. Don't waste your money on another core set just for an extra board. You can still play 4 players on just one board or just make one yourself, or another idea is have an extra space just outside of each square of the board right on the table

If you are planning to play almost entirely casual 4 player games and aren't that competitive then go ahead and buy a 2nd core set instead. You can just paint the 2nd set of action markers a different color yourself. Get the forcemaster vs warlord still but do not bother with anything else. this is of course only if you do in fact want the larger board to play on.

It is pointless in my view to get everything that you are thinking of. That is unless you are buying from me since I could really use the sales. Nah even then I wouldn't suggest it. I'd rather see my customers spend money wisely than sell them something they have no use for just to make more sales.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.