♪ Isaäc Bickërstaff ♫
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Entropy Seminar:
badge
The results of a five yeer studee ntu the sekund lw uf thurmodynamiks aand itz inevibl fxt hon shewb rt nslpn raq liot.
mb
I'm going through my collection, looking for things to offer for trade, and a few of my games seem to be calling out to me to be traded. Either I've had them for a while and they were never played, or they were underwhelming to me, or they were bought to play with family, but never seem to make it to the table. Some of them were obvious, but I have a few that I'm waffling over:

Exxtra
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/357

This one I'm leaning toward keeping, for some reason. I had wanted it for a long time, and managed to score one from a BGGM seller for MUCH less than I had seen the game on eBay.

Pros: Fun and colorful; hard to find; I'm the only person in the group with a copy of the game; clever mechanics.

Cons: Mechanics force players to push farther than they want to, or give the win to whoever's in the lead; more of a "fun" game, which doesn't endear it to the rest of my group; random.

Pirate's Cove
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/2987

I've only played this game once, and then, it was when the game was only available in German as Piratenbucht. We played the rules incorrectly, and it was early in my days as a Geek, so I was less discerning in the games I enjoyed. I received the DoW edition of the game through a trade, but it's never hit the table, and I've had it for about a year now.

Pros: Nice bits that can be used with other games; possible family game; could play it with teens, if I knew any.

Cons: Just doesn't get played; guys in the group aren't won over by it; too many rules for playing with family; still haven't played it correctly.

Razzia!
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/12589

Back when Ra was a grail, and after I had sold it off for a nice chunk of change, I picked up Razzia!, since it was Ra with cards. It took me a while to track down a copy, but when I did, I was happy with it. It still hasn't been played, though.

Pros: Portable; it's Ra lite; clever theme for the game mechanics.

Cons: Can't get it played; people would prefer to play Ra, since Razzia! doesn't have disaster tiles; I own the reprint of Ra.

So, help a Geek out and make the case for these games. Keep? Trade? You be the judge!*

*NOTE: Final judgment will be with me. I'm just trying to be clever here, OK?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Montero
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I'll take Manhattan in a garbage bag. With Latin written on it that says "It's hard to give a shit these days"
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't trade Pirate's cove, burn it in a bonfire, give it as a gift to an annoying coworker, or a bad neighbour. Please, don't unload this on someone who might be expecting a good game.

Razzia, on the other hand, is a good game that I'd keep. A more portable version of Ra can always come in handy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pirate's Cove is simply not that good. If you can get anything decent for it, trade it in a heartbeat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb

Exxtra

KEEP, KEEP, KEEP...There is always room for a quick game of Exxtra, if nothing but to dump you head after a long meaty game.

Pirate's Cove

Trade. PC is a yawner.

Razzia!

Keep, I found that non gamers and lite gamers found Razzia! more accessible. But that Gamers picked Ra 10 time out of 10. Razzia is fun, i keep it around for everyone else.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobby Warren
United States
Glendale
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
La cheeserie!
mbmbmbmbmb
Exxtra is a winner. It is a push your luck game, but often the winner is someone who played a slow and steady strategy.

Pirate's Cove is much better than the original. I would wait until you have had the chance to try it before giving up on it.

Razzia! is one I own that other's have played, but I haven't. The price wasn't that high and it is portable, so I plan on keeping mine until I play it. If it is a dog, then I will ditch it, but I expect I will be keeping it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♪ Isaäc Bickërstaff ♫
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Entropy Seminar:
badge
The results of a five yeer studee ntu the sekund lw uf thurmodynamiks aand itz inevibl fxt hon shewb rt nslpn raq liot.
mb
Bobby4th wrote:
Pirate's Cove is much better than the original. I would wait until you have had the chance to try it before giving up on it.

There's the rub; I can't get it played. Granted, I haven't tried very hard to get it played, but a lot of the guys in my group have a low-ish opinion of the game, and the few times it's been suggested, it's been dismissed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mrbass
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pirate's Cove is a family game to play with kids. It's good for that. I could never imagine playing that with a gaming group of adults.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon David Faeth
United States
Hilliard
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
You should send Razzia! to me, free of charge.

Seriously though (and perhaps slightly off topic, I'm not sure), when it comes to the issue of to trade or not to trade, I have everything in my collection listed as "for trade" because theoretically there's an offer that someone could make to take anything off my hands, even if some games are more likely to stay than others.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.