Popular Tags: [View All]
Dom D.
Canada
Chateauguay Valley
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi!
I've been agonizing for quite a while about adding CC:E or some other wargame to my collection.

Before going forward I would like to try it on VASSAL (I know you are supposed to own a copy of the game to play it on VASSAL but I'm very reluctant about paying 70$ for a game without knowing if I'll like it or not). However, there are no digital copies of the scenario book which contains, from what I've heard the simpler scenarios, like Fat Lipki. That said, I'm wondering if one of the two bonus scenarios on GMT's website would be suitable for complete newbies to test-drive the game before purchasing. Are they too complicated? Is the only way forward to take the plunge and hope for the best?

Thanks in advance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cindy Nowak
United States
Kenosha
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GreyKatana wrote:
Hi!
I've been agonizing for quite a while about adding CC:E or some other wargame to my collection.

Before going forward I would like to try it on VASSAL (I know you are supposed to own a copy of the game to play it on VASSAL but I'm very reluctant about paying 70$ for a game without knowing if I'll like it or not). However, there are no digital copies of the scenario book which contains, from what I've heard the simpler scenarios, like Fat Lipki. That said, I'm wondering if one of the two bonus scenarios on GMT's website would be suitable for complete newbies to test-drive the game before purchasing. Are they too complicated? Is the only way forward to take the plunge and hope for the best?

Thanks in advance.

So long as one of the players has a copy of the game, that's all that's really required to play on Vassal. Is it possible to find an opponent who does?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dom D.
Canada
Chateauguay Valley
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
scoutmom wrote:
So long as one of the players has a copy of the game, that's all that's really required to play on Vassal. Is it possible to find an opponent who does?

Sadly no. I want to try the game with a particular friend since he'll be my most likely opponent and also wants his opinion on the game. If what I'm proposing is plainly illegal/unacceptable I'll just refrain from doing it but will probably pass on CC:E.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott
United States
Redding
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are tournament scenarios that are freely downloadable on BGG.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dom D.
Canada
Chateauguay Valley
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hank__hill wrote:
There are tournament scenarios that are freely downloadable on BGG.

And are those simple enough for newbies?
I ask because I had heard that the first CC:E scenarios were ideal to learn the game since they didn't have too many squads, terrain types, etc... as opposes, for example, to the first scenarios of CC: P.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stacey Hager
United States
Charleston
West Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
VASSAL does not do it justice. It's an awesome game, just buy a copy and if you don't like it, ebay it....or wait until it's between print runs and then ebay for even more money.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Dennis
United States
Newbury Park
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would have to agree with Stacey Hager. VASSAL is fine as an alternative when there is no other option, but the game really shines in face to face play. As for not buying because it is $70, a used one with extra trays PLUS tuckboxes for the cards just sold two days ago for under $30 on eBay (see the eBay listings on the game page and select "Complete").

I personally have had few games grab my attention like the Combat Commander series. In one month (after 5 plays) I went from owning the CC:Europe module to owning the entire set of available modules (only paratrooper eludes me and I am on the P500 for reprint).

I think if you look through the comments others have provided on the game system, I think you can quickly come to the conclusion that a $30 risk on Combat Commander is the easiest (and best) decision you'll face for a long while....

My 2 cents worth...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon J
United States
Eagan
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Print and Play Gamer
mbmbmbmbmb
I was reluctant at first to buy this game as well--as the price is a little steep to take a chance on it.

But If you like WW2, if you like Band of Brothers (or the Pacific) HBO series, or any other war movies (Saving Private Ryan, etc....) If you like card driven games, if you like narrative in your game and the chaos that war is represented by random events and other things that happen in this game that makes it unique every time you play it, then GET this game.

As a warning, it does, at least to me, take a few plays to get comfortable with all rules and the flow of the game and what you are supposed to do as the Attacker or Defender--though I would suspect this isn't any different than any other medium difficulty game.

My favorite WW2 game used to be Memoir 44, but CC:E has blown that out of the water. I have a lot of fun with this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Lind
United States
North Chesterfield
Virginia
flag msg tools
My favorite response to anyone's question about how something happened.
badge
Really, Mom, I was just sittin' here mindin' my own business!
mbmbmbmbmb
If you don't want to pick the game up used somewhere for a reduced price then check around and see if there's a group of wargamers near you or a club and go there to play it.

Otherwise you could always attend PREZCON or WBC or something that has a game library where you guys could check it out and play a few scenarios.

I understand the issue of having a limited number of opponents (I have only 1 also that I can depend on for regular play).

Given how much I've enjoyed the game despite only being able to play it now and then with my friend I figured the cost per hour of play for EVERY CC game and expansion (yep, have them all) works out to maybe $1.50-$2.00 per hour. Compare that to a trip to the movies for $20.00 for an hour of entertainment and CC is dirt cheap.

I would recommend CC:Europe first. That's all you need to know whether you'll like the game or not.

Oh, and I agree that face-to-face is THE best way to enjoy the game fully. VASSAL is fine but it ain't FTF.

What other games to you and your friend like? That might help us determine whether it's a good choice for you both.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Gibson
United States
San Diego (Scripps Ranch)
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"My favorite WW2 game used to be Memoir 44, but CC:E has blown that out of the water. I have a lot of fun with this game."

I also agree with Patton55. I think it's fair to say that if you'd like a little more that what you've experienced with M44, then this is it. I really enjoy M44, but getting CC was a very good decision! The game mechanics are unique and easy to understand.

Now if the $$ of Mediteranean Expansion would drop a bit, then I could add that to my CC:Europe.cry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dom D.
Canada
Chateauguay Valley
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Aardvarkius wrote:
What other games to you and your friend like? That might help us determine whether it's a good choice for you both.

We like all kind of games. I do not have a big collection but play various kind of games including multiple RPGs.

As explained in this thread over on the ASL SK#1 forum, I'm looking at adding a classical hex and counter WW2 wargame to my collection. At this point I've narrowed it down mostly to two candidates: Combat Commander: Europe and Advanced Squad Leader Starter Kit #1. Regretfully ASLSK#1 has been out of print for a while and I must turn to the third starter kit which is more complete but less newbie friendly.

I've been eyeing CC:E for quite a long time, never ready to make the jump. The price of the game (for paper maps) and the uncertainty whether I'd like the card activation mechanic or not are what have kept me from buying it. Yes it can be had cheaper on ebay but when you factor in the cost of shipping to Canada (if they ship worldwide at all) it's not that far off the retail price.

So that's the story. I cannot try ASLSK on VASSAL since the rules aren't available online and I had hoped that I could find a simple scenario to try CC:E with my friend before buying.

Thanks for your help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Makowsky
United States
Rhinebeck
New York
flag msg tools
Dom,

Is there a gaming group in your area? Maybe you can find someone with the game to let you borrow it or to bring it over and teach it to you and your friend?

CC is a perfect game for a non-traditional wargamer. The card activation system provides a decision framework and focuses your actions. The negative side of that, is that you are not free in your actions but must use the cards. (Some wargamers truly hate this).

CC creates the best game narrative, if you keep your mind open, those random events and the cards you don't get are telling the story of the actions of those units. It can be very fun.

So good luck finding a way to play. If I was closer I would bring my game up and let you play.

Bob
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott
United States
Redding
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would suggest just getting the one that interests you most. CC:E is probably easier to get in to. Both games will hold there value, and you should be able to trade one of them for something you want if you ended up not liking it. Another option is finding a first edition CC:E which probably goes for less. There is one on BGG for $35. Both are very different, and a big step from what is on your game list. Don't let that scare you though, I went from axis and allies to full ASL. I was motivated by interest, otherwise I would have never learned the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.