Popular Tags: [View All]
John E
United States
Cary
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm kind of stunned and disconcerted by the sheer number of miniatures-based projects on Kickstarter just in the last month or so.
Already closed:
Torn Armor
Arena Rex
Zombicide Season 2: Prison Outbreak

In progress:
Myth
Galaxy Defenders
Guardians' Chronicles
Robotech RPG Tactics
Krosmaster: Arena
Teramyyd: Earthsphere
Zpocalypse: Aftermath – Z-Team Alpha

I like miniatures as much as the next guy - heck I've got a bunch of half-finished Descent minis ready for paint on my desk right now. But the level of enthusiasm for these projects is a whole other level. The level of overfunding some of these games get is legendary.

Are these companies really all putting out terrific games? Surely some are trying to ride the Kickstarter wave and strike while the iron is hot with all these miniatures projects? I guess I can't blame them - if I had a way to get people throwing money at the game I've always wanted to make I'm sure I wouldn't turn it down.

Guess I'm just a grumpy curmudgeon that can't afford all these kickstarters, doesn't have room for them all, and doesn't have time to paint it all anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Miniatures gamers in general run with a higher Disposable Income than other tabletop geeks, and generally have a larger 'collector' ratio among them. It doesn't even matter if the game is junk if the minis are cool enough.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J T
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Shadrach wrote:
Miniatures gamers in general run with a higher Disposable Income than other tabletop geeks, and generally have a larger 'collector' ratio among them. It doesn't even matter if the game is junk if the minis are cool enough.

Wow - doesn't everyone just look super excited and happy to be there shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Kearns
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
Silence is golden.
badge
Your sea is so great and my boat is so small.
mbmbmbmbmb
Just wait till next month. Gonna be EPIC!!!11!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Val Teixeira
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Morph Mode wrote:
I'm kind of stunned and disconcerted by the sheer number of miniatures-based projects on Kickstarter just in the last month or so.

Missed a few:

Already closed:
Drake: The Dragon Wargame
Spinespur
Mutant Chronicles Warzone Resurrection

It's worse/better than you thought.

You should consider yourself lucky and be happy if you can afford ANY of these kickstarters.

I wish I had those kinds of rich people problems... like wondering where I'm going to park my 5th Ferrari.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jeffcuetis wrote:
Shadrach wrote:

Wow - doesn't everyone just look super excited and happy to be there shake

If you're having fun whilst playing Warhammer, then you're doing it wrong!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Di Ponio
United States
Lake Orion
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Shadrach wrote:

The guy on the left just realised that they are suing 5th edition rules and codexes and his armies are not complient.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Millis
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I confess that I started warhammer for the miniature painting first and then tried the game later.

The game was horrible! I was lucky to have been able to sell off my collection for a pretty decent price, but it's interesting to see if the upcoming miniature games are more about about game play or just miniatures with dice rolling thrown in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B.
United States
Groton
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So far they seem to have some of the best stretch goals compared to other games. Getting extra or exclusive minis makes it worthwhile to get in on the early kick starter instead of an extra card or alternative artwork.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wesley M
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
Greatest Game Ever
mbmbmbmbmb
Theres something about them obviously..Just look at all the peopel willing to plop down 500+ dollars on kingdom death...Which I can only assume will be the a great disappointment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Morph Mode wrote:
I'm kind of stunned and disconcerted by the sheer number of playing cardsminiatures-based projects on Kickstarter just in the last month or so.

My take on it. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
darksurtur
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Miniature games largely substitute robust IP development for art design. If KS spending on games is zero-sum or diminishing, this means miniatures rob gamers of novel designs (in terms of both breadth and depth) for physical expansions of a single unproven game system, which increases the overall risk of backing projects. In addition, the level of mania (monetarily and socially) shown for fanservice T&A sculpts reflects poorly on board gamers as a whole via spillover association.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Robert
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Follow me for wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
I've missed many great opportunities in the past. I'll miss many great opportunities in the future.

Buy into whatever you desire. Enjoy the games that take off that you were able to get in on the ground floor, and don't regret the ones you missed.

Just have fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
That's kinda the thing. If you're a big fan of miniatures, and especially of painting them, you can safely buy one of these games much more than a fan of euro games can safely buy one of those. If a Euro sucks, it sucks and no one's going to want the crappy pile of cardboard.

If a minis game sucks, presumably you still bought it because it looks nice and gave you neat looking things to paint.

I'll kickstart anything with good looking dwarf miniatures.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
darksurtur
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
scifiantihero wrote:
That's kinda the thing. If you're a big fan of miniatures, and especially of painting them, you can safely buy one of these games much more than a fan of euro games can safely buy one of those. If a Euro sucks, it sucks and no one's going to want the crappy pile of cardboard.

If a minis game sucks, presumably you still bought it because it looks nice and gave you neat looking things to paint.

But a) isn't it hard to know how the final minis will actually look, given the state of development when many mini KS projects are launched, and b) isn't mini design incentivized to be distinctive in some way as a form of product differentiation, which makes transferring them to alternate uses more difficult?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brook Gentlestream
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Compared to the Bones kickstarter awhile back, all miniature kickstarters have been a disappointment.

Though Galactic Defenders has piqued my interest a little.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Hope
New Zealand
Auckland
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I already have 3 miniature games that need painting, and I realised after I had pledged for a couple of the above games that I was just getting caught up in an addictive fad. I don't actually NEED all those mini's, I'll never get around to painting them, and I don't really think that most mini based games coming out these days are anything special.

I subsequently cancelled all of my pledges. The way companies like CMON set up KS projects is designed to get people sucked into thinking that getting 200 pieces of plastic will improve their game. Nope, I don't buy it.

I've decided to try other game types that I haven't explored instead, and have commissioned a painter to paint 2 of my games

Just my opinion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
darksurtur wrote:
scifiantihero wrote:

But a) isn't it hard to know how the final minis will actually look, given the state of development when many mini KS projects are launched, and b) isn't mini design incentivized to be distinctive in some way as a form of product differentiation, which makes transferring them to alternate uses more difficult?

I wouldn't pledge for soemthing that didn't have some examples of the product or at least the sculptor's work, so I'd be avoiding A, hopfully. Ususally they start showing WiPs of stuff at some point during the campaign.

I don't think all minis go out of their way to be super distinctive, though some do (like rivet wars.) But part of my point was that the alternate use is the hours spent modeling/painting. Certainly not everyone would feel that way, but it's a group that's there that doesn't really have a similar group in other types of games. (Collectors in CCG type games, maybe, but I doubt many of those are too hot on kickstarter. Haha which I think is a shame!!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernd Caspers
Germany
Mönchengladbach
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe miniature gamers just seem to have more disposable income because they invest more into a few games rather than a little bit into many different games...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
darksurtur
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
scifiantihero wrote:
darksurtur wrote:
scifiantihero wrote:

I wouldn't pledge for soemthing that didn't have some examples of the product or at least the sculptor's work, so I'd be avoiding A, hopfully. Ususally they start showing WiPs of stuff at some point during the campaign.

I don't think all minis go out of their way to be super distinctive, though some do (like rivet wars.) But part of my point was that the alternate use is the hours spent modeling/painting. Certainly not everyone would feel that way, but it's a group that's there that doesn't really have a similar group in other types of games. (Collectors in CCG type games, maybe, but I doubt many of those are too hot on kickstarter. Haha which I think is a shame!!)

But then why wouldn't you just buy some dwarf minis a la carte from a dedicated minis company?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Taylor
United Kingdom
Epping
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chubber911 wrote:
darksurtur wrote:
Miniature games largely substitute robust IP development for art design. If KS spending on games is zero-sum or diminishing, this means miniatures rob gamers of novel designs (in terms of both breadth and depth) for physical expansions of a single unproven game system, which increases the overall risk of backing projects. In addition, the level of mania (monetarily and socially) shown for fanservice T&A sculpts reflects poorly on board gamers as a whole via spillover association.

This is quite an eloquent rant.

I consider it the opposite of eloquent. I've read it 3 times now and still have no idea what he is saying.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
darksurtur wrote:
scifiantihero wrote:
darksurtur wrote:
scifiantihero wrote:

But then why wouldn't you just buy some dwarf minis a la carte from a dedicated minis company?

Well I would! A lot of them use kickstarter. Great one right now going called . . . something.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
piemasteruk wrote:
chubber911 wrote:
darksurtur wrote:

This is quite an eloquent rant.

I consider it the opposite of eloquent. I've read it 3 times now and still have no idea what he is saying.

He's saying that there's only so much money and time, and that if you're spending it making sweet looking minis (many of which have big tits and asses, which makes boardgamers look bad 'cause apparently we don't like big tits or asses in real life . . . I do . . . )then you can't be spending that time making awesome well tested rules.

Not sure if it's true or not. Or eloquent or not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
darksurtur wrote:
Miniature games largely substitute robust IP development for art design.

Like Warhammer, or Malifaux, or Infinity, or numerous other Miniature games with robust IPs?

darksurtur wrote:
If KS spending on games is zero-sum or diminishing, this means miniatures rob gamers of novel designs (in terms of both breadth and depth) for physical expansions of a single unproven game system, which increases the overall risk of backing projects.

Whilst the total spending power of people, in general, is finite, Miniatures gaming has it's feet in two worlds - the miniatures world, and the gaming world - this means it draws from both these sources, and so the drain on the potential income sources for other games is minimal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
darksurtur
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
scifiantihero wrote:
darksurtur wrote:

Well I would! A lot of them use kickstarter. Great one right now going called . . . something.

The key phrase there is a la carte. What kickstarter lets you order specific minis a la carte (without a large base pledge)? Besides, dwarf minis are not rare. Why pledge and wait in indeterminate amount of time when you can easily find cheap, and what look to be aesthetically pleasing, figures right now?

EDIT: Sorry, I wasn't aware of the Oathsworn project. But that's a pure minis project, not one with a game bundled in, which is a separate thing entirely that I didn't mean to include in my comment (although I wasn't precise about the wording). The point remains, though - you can get dwarf minis now or pledge, pay significantly more, and get them at an indeterminate time in the future.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.