Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Horm
United States
Renton
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was thinking about playing Carson City on the forums, but nobody was on there. This game could work well, but needs some sort of visual to help with gameplay. I created a webpage to help facilitate Play By Forum games. I wanted to share it with you guys so you can provide any usability feedback.

I wanted to create a simple board to place Round Token, Cowboys, Properties, Buildings, and Roads. There is no turn marker, no point marker, no rotating buildings. That can be kept track by players, as well as keeping track of number of cowboys, guns, and money.

Here's the bare board:
https://googledrive.com/host/0B6M8DLE3hrp9TXlObXZtM3Bubjg/in...

The site uses JSON to define what goes where. Here's a sample JSON that I used to test out the edges.
Quote:

{
"round":1,
"actions":[
{"id":0, "cowboys":[{"color":"orange"}]},
{"id":3, "cowboys":[{"color":"white"},{"color":"green"}]},
{"id":4, "building":"mine", "cowboys":[{"color":"orange"},{"color":"brown"},{"color":"purple"},{"color":"green"}]},
{"id":5, "building":"ranch"},
{"id":6, "building":"drugstore"},
{"id":7, "building":"hotel"},
{"id":8, "building":"saloon"},
{"id":9, "building":"mine"},
{"id":10, "building":"ranch"},
{"id":13, "cowboys":[{"color":"orange"},{"color":"brown"},{"color":"purple"}]},
{"id":14, "cowboys":[{"color":"yellow"},{"color":"white"},{"color":"brown"},{"color":"orange"},{"color":"purple"}]},
{"id":20, "cowboys":[{"color":"orange"},{"color":"brown"},{"color":"purple"},{"color":"yellow"}]}
],
"parcels":[
{"x":0, "y":0, "property":"green", "building":"bank", "cowboys":[{"color":"orange"}]},
{"x":7, "y":0, "property":"yellow", "building":"church", "cowboys":[{"color":"green"},{"color":"brown"}]},
{"x":0, "y":7, "property":"brown", "building":"prison", "cowboys":[{"color":"yellow"},{"color":"green"},{"color":"purple"}]},
{"x":7, "y":7, "property":"purple", "building":"mountain", "cowboys":[{"color":"orange"},{"color":"brown"},{"color":"green"},{"color":"yellow"},{"color":"white"}]},
{"x":4, "y":3, "building":"house"}
],
"roads":[
{"x":0, "y":0, "horizontal":true, "vertical":true},
{"x":4, "y":3, "horizontal":true, "vertical":true},
{"x":5, "y":3, "horizontal":true},
{"x":4, "y":4, "vertical":true},
{"x":8, "y":7, "horizontal":true},
{"x":0, "y":8, "vertical":true}
]
}

You can upload a file containing that content to Google Docs, and then publish the file. Here is a sample of a published JSON file: https://googledrive.com/host/0BxkrMryLtee_Qzk4ZmZYZlZBb1k/te...

And then you can pass the file to the site by adding a ?url= between the two URLs.

https://googledrive.com/host/0B6M8DLE3hrp9TXlObXZtM3Bubjg/in...

I didn't want to tell you the details of how to setup the JSON file because I wanted to know if it's intuitive given the sample above.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Wasson
United States
Erie
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess if I don't even know what a JSON file is, intuitive or not, this will not be of much use to me. The board does look good though!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Christiansen
United States
Mount Pleasant
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
OOK! OOK! OOK!
mbmbmbmbmb
This might need to be simplified for the average user.

The Moderator program being used by PBF for Terra Mystica is a good example. Anyone can learn to input moves. Even numbskulls like me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francis Siefken
Netherlands
Utrecht
Utrecht
flag msg tools
mbmb
FYI there is a Carson City Vassal module.
http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Carson_City

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.