Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
12 Posts

Federation Commander: Romulan Border» Forums » General

Subject: Release Date? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Thee Insidius Doktor Glaze & His Sidekick Donut Boy with the Amazing Monkeytime Dancers Ooh!
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
I_have_heard_the_mermaids_singing,_each_to_each. I_do_not_think_that_they_will_sing_to_me... We_have_lingered_in_the_chambers_of_the_sea By_sea_girls_wreathed_with_seaweed_red_and_brown Till_human_voices_wake_us,_and_we_drown
mbmbmbmbmb
I seem to remember hearing that this was expected to be available before Origins. Does anyone know if the June timetable is still the target?

I'd love to see the Romulans enter the game as soon as possible: they are the classic adversary in any Star Trek game. Two words: Cloaking Device.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Taylor
United States
Lake Forest
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Last I heard, this was still on for Origins. The latest Captain's Log is almost done and will be shipping soon, there will probably be an update about it in there. I don't expect any changes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Blank
United States
Unspecified
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, they are in the process of printing this as I type for release at Origins this year, so barring any great catastrophe like all their printing equipment exploding and being unrepairable, it is on schedule. The maps and countersheets they have, they are printing the rulebooks, and they either have or are in the process of printing the laminated ship cards. They are putting all new mounted maps in this set that were printed by anther company, they look (from the pictures Steve Cole put on line) to be much better than the earlier ones.

He showed a stack of maps that were randomly picked from those for the new romulan set that all line up perfectly without any grey lines, unlike the first set's maps that only mostly lined up, and only after Steve Cole sorted out and threw out the really bad ones.

These are the maps they intended for the first set (klingon border), but that printer deal fell through at the time for some reason, hence the lower quality maps from another printing company. Great to see they were able to go back to them for Rom Border.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Taylor
United States
Lake Forest
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's been released.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom McThorn
United States
Newark
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My question: Has anyone bought/played it? I'd like to know how the plasma rules will work. I always liked playing the Gorn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Astoria
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Starfury wrote:
My question: Has anyone bought/played it? I'd like to know how the plasma rules will work. I always liked playing the Gorn.

Did you play SFB? If so, they work pretty much like that. If not, a short recap:

- Plasma takes 3 turns to arm (2-2-3 for a G-torp, 2-2-4 for an S-torp, 2-2-5 for the massive R-torp). As any given launcher can fire 'down' as a lower type, each ship's track to record power has levels for each of the types. IE., for an R-torp, it is like so:
[ ][ ] - [ ][ ] - [ ][ ][G][S][R]
...so you can check off the power as you put it into the weapon and, at the same time, indicate where you are 'stopping' at

- Note that, in FC:RB, you can always 'upgrade' a torp at any time before firing to another type. (IE., if you armed your R-torp launcher as a G-torp...2-2-3...then on any later turn you are holding it, you can just spend the 2-point difference to 'upgrade' it and fire it as a regular R-torp)

- Plasma is put on the map, and moves as any seeking weapon does. It can be fired at with phasers 'offensively' by any ship, at any point, until it 'hits' the target. Plasma 'sticks' to a shield when it reaches the target ship hex, like drones, and can be fired at 'defensively' only by the target ship after the weapon has 'hit'.

- Plasma can be detonated in the tube - 'bolting', which does much less damage, and you roll for to-hit. Carronades (a special type of bolting for F-torps) are in. Plasma-D and Plasma-K are out. Shotgun is out. Envelopers are out. Sabot is out.

- Wild weasels are out. You'd *think* this would make plasma MUCH more deadly, but ships tend to move pretty fast in FC:RB. And - big one - there are no PPTs, so every torp on the map is real.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom McThorn
United States
Newark
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like they kept the core part of the plasma rules then; I'm assuming that they move at speed 32 like in SFB. Looks like I may have to spring for FC: Romulan Border sometime soon....assuming I can get my friends to play FC.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Astoria
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Starfury wrote:
Sounds like they kept the core part of the plasma rules then; I'm assuming that they move at speed 32 like in SFB. Looks like I may have to spring for FC: Romulan Border sometime soon....assuming I can get my friends to play FC.

Yup, speed 32.

Honestly, if you are worried about getting them 'into' the game, I'd start with FC:KB. No cloaks, no plasma. The smaller set of rules makes it easier to get into.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom McThorn
United States
Newark
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have FC: Klingon border but dont' want to spend another $50 on more games that I won't be able to play. I'm trying to get my friends (at least one of them) to play Sat night.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivan Kautter
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Too bad that ADB did not put out a more complete product in the first instance. I could easily envision a 4 major races game that they could have released with feds, klinks, roms, and gorns and still have provided as many ships per race as is in the Klingon Border release. I wish I knew why they chose to split the klinks and roms. It makes no sense to me. My suggestion would be to wait until the Romulan Border rule book becomes available as a spare part, order that, and some booster packs that will include roms and gorns.

There is also FCOnline, a module that is part of SFBOnline that will allow you to play FC on the web. I have seen almost no one in the FC rooms though as the service, I think is still under development and not well advertised. I think there is an anouncement of FCOnline in the Romulan Border game but I am not that sure that it is really ready to go.

The other option you have is to find a player in your area via the FC Commanders Circle that lists the names and contact info for FC players across the nation if they have registered on the site.

www.starfleetgames.com/fccc

I believe that is the url.

Good Luck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Astoria
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm really not sure why they'd want more races vs more ships-per-race.

FWIW, I'm *much* happier with FC:RB (which has *only* Fed, Gorn, and Roms - and that's it) than FC:KB, which tried to shoehorn in Klinks, Feds, Kzinti, Orions, and Tholians. It's true that FC:KB - while quite a decent game - didn't feel as 'complete' without FC:KA and the 'uniques' in the boosters. There just wasn't enough ships for each race without that.

Three races per game, though, is plenty for decent variety - and that lets each race have plenty of different ships with different missions. What with the updated rules, improved maps, and fewer races (more ships per race) FC:RB is just an awesome product.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terry OCarroll
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmb
Some ships have plasma-D racks. These are the Klingon-Romulan "Kestrel" ships. Rules for plasma-Ds are scheduled for Communique #7 (the next one to be released).

I think that they split the Klingons and Romulans across two products for two reasons: 1. Cloak and plasma rules took a lot of playtesting to get right. Attempting to get them in the first product would have delayed the release considerably. 2. The same reason bands put one hit and a bunch of duds on each album. Klingons and Romulans were both in the TV series that FC is based on, so they're popular.

One advantage to buying both Klingon Border and Romulan Border is that you will end up with a LOT of different Federation ships. More than any of the other empires.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.