badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Regional Report

Little Shop of Magic - Las Vegas, NV
12 players (7 Rebels, 5 Imperials)

My list: (100 pts)
Alpha Squadron Pilot (18)
Avenger Squadron Pilot (20)
Saber Squadron Pilot - Push The Limit + Stealth Device (27)
Black Squadron Pilot - Draw Their Fire (15)
Howlrunner - Swarm Tactics (20)

I switched to this list the morning of the event from a Firespray x2 and TIE list. I was a bit worried about Han Shot First lists (which my friend John was running) but I figured most players would be using the extremes of Pilot Skill (1/2 and 8/9) which would allow my list to fire at full force after the big boys and hopefully take out some chuds before they shot. This was a good assumption. Overall, I felt the list was strong at getting in a good initial pass and then out maneuvering the opponent and picking off anything that didn't die yet.

Round 1: Vs Rebels (Ant)
• Wedge (Swarm Tactics, Stealth, R5-D8)
• Biggs (R2-D2, Shield Upgrade)
• Arvel (Stealth, Cluster Missiles)

I was able to take out Biggs in about 2 rounds, which let me hammer Wedge into space dust. Unfortunately, my opponent believed he could boost Arvel into overlap, which would have been great, but illegal! Arvel's Cluster Missile basically missed Howlrunner. In the end, it took me a few rounds to strip Arvel of his Stealth Device. I had only lost my Alpha, but there were a few TIEs with damage on them.
Full win (5, +100)
My record (1-0, 5)

Round 2: Vs Rebels (Michelle)
• Chewie (Assault, Falcon, Shield)
• Horton (Torps x2, Ion, Shield, R2-D2)

This opponent was heavy on ordinance, but light on evade. I tried to close range quickly to avoid the Assault Missile, however I miscalculated and ended up in range 2 on round 2. Horton dropped two damage on a TIE with a Torp. Chewie had target locked my Saber. My heart dropped when he launched his missile and rolled 4 hits! Luckily, my Saber rolled 1 evade and 2 focus, and spent his focus token and evade token to complete evade the missile! This kept my force healthy and able to take Chewie out in 2 rounds. Horton fell soon after, despite hitting Howlrunner twice with his ion cannon, keeping her stressed and coasting slowly forward.
Full win (5, +100)
My record (2-0, 10)

Round 3: Vs Rebels (Frank)
• Han (Falcon, Veteran, Engine, Chewie)
• Gold Squadron Pilot (Ion Cannon)
• Rookie Pilot

In the first combat round, I took out his Rookie and dropped a crit on the Y-wing that stripped his turret. He wasn't able to recover much from that as his Falcon was chased down by the TIEs. I lost my Black Squadron to a Draw Their Fire crit, but was otherwise unscathed.
Full win (5, +100)
My record (3-0, 15)

Round 4: Vs Rebels (Jacob)
• Rookie (Shield Upgrade) x4

I had loaned Jacob 2 Shield Upgrades to make this list, which is almost the rebel version of my list. This round scared me a bit, but I hoped that my whole list shooting first would get me to a win. The first round of fire saw my Alpha get destroyed after I took out one Rookie (3 hull + 3 shields are a lot to break through!) The next round led to a big furball in the middle, which led to a one shot destruction of my Black Squadron Pilot. I was only able to strip 1 shield despite 3 shots at Range 1-2 that round. I was a bit worried now, as I was actually down 12 points. However, the rest of the match I was able to stay out of his firing arcs and whittle away at his X-Wings, taking them down slowly but surely.
Full win (5, +100)
My record (4-0, 20)

My undefeated record got me 1st place! It was a fantastic tournament, and I had great fun with all my opponents. Also, thanks to LSoM for hosting!

Random Observations:
• Only 1 Imperial in the top 4 (I think) - most of the top tables through out the day were Rebels with YTs.
• 4 YT-1300s (2 Han, 2 Chewie), only 1 Firespray (not sure which pilot)
• Quite a few rules misunderstandings that needed clarification across the entire tournament - defender modifies attack dice first (namely for Elusiveness), only one reroll per die, Gunner gives a new attack not a reroll, no boosting into overlap, obstacles / actions / firing, large ships and ion tokens (a single token persists until the second is added), spending a focus changes ALL eyes not one, etc.
• My meta still overvalues Protons and Cluster Missiles (which hasn't changed from my Kessel Run experience), although they are much better now against big ships!
• My pal running HSF went 2-2, losing his last two games against my opponents from rounds 2 and 3.

Thanks for reading!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Fuller
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Great report! Question on Gunner. What is the difference between a new attack and a re-roll? I assume you meant someone would just want to re-roll their misses and not everything?

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Merkle
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
spurries wrote:
Great report! Question on Gunner. What is the difference between a new attack and a re-roll? I assume you meant someone would just want to re-roll their misses and not everything?

Thanks

The rules dispute was someone thinking that Gunner would not allow a new attack after Han's re-roll ability. This is wrong. Re-rolls occur in Step 3 of an attack per page 10 of the core rules: "Modify attack dice." Gunner triggers after Step 6 "Compare Results" if the initial attack did not hit, providing an entirely new attack (potentially on a different target!) which begins back at Step 1 of Combat.

For example, Han with a gunner shoots at a TIE at Range 2. Han rolls a hit and 2 blanks. The rebel decides to use Han's ability to re-roll all the dice, resulting in 3 blanks! The Imperial would now roll defense, although it is somewhat moot. This attack won't hit, so Gunner triggers and rolls a new 3 dice attack - 1 hit, 1 focus, and 1 blank. Han's ability can now re-roll this result - getting a crit, a hit, and a blank. The Imperial player now rolls his defense dice. Make sense?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Fuller
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Yep! Popsicle headache though haha! Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan
United States
Benwood
West Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations Great Job.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
MILLINGTON
Tennessee
flag msg tools
TradenMyr wrote:
spurries wrote:

Thanks

The rules dispute was someone thinking that Gunner would not allow a new attack after Han's re-roll ability. This is wrong. Re-rolls occur in Step 3 of an attack per page 10 of the core rules: "Modify attack dice." Gunner triggers after Step 6 "Compare Results" if the initial attack did not hit, providing an entirely new attack (potentially on a different target!) which begins back at Step 1 of Combat.

For example, Han with a gunner shoots at a TIE at Range 2. Han rolls a hit and 2 blanks. The rebel decides to use Han's ability to re-roll all the dice, resulting in 3 blanks! The Imperial would now roll defense, although it is somewhat moot. This attack won't hit, so Gunner triggers and rolls a new 3 dice attack - 1 hit, 1 focus, and 1 blank. Han's ability can now re-roll this result - getting a crit, a hit, and a blank. The Imperial player now rolls his defense dice. Make sense?

FFG will need to add this to the FAQ since this would imply 4 potential attack rolls. At the last Regionals I attended a couple weeks ago, this came up and it was determined (ruled) only 3 attack rolls max. I believe that this is based on the Gunner being a different person than Han and Han's ability only applies to him.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dunford
Canada
Kemptville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How long were the rounds? In my (limited) experience, Rebels tend to do better in tournaments with short rounds (60 minutes), while Imperials tend to do better in tournaments with long rounds (75+ minutes). At least, in the local 60 minute tournaments I've played or heard detailed reports from, 3/4 of the final 4 have been Rebels, while in the 75 minute tournaments, Imperials have swept the podium finishing 1st-2nd-3rd. All of those tournaments had exactly even numbers of Rebel and Imperial squads (but only one was wave-2).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Merkle
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
USMMA95 wrote:
TradenMyr wrote:
spurries wrote:

Thanks

FFG will need to add this to the FAQ since this would imply 4 potential attack rolls. At the last Regionals I attended a couple weeks ago, this came up and it was determined (ruled) only 3 attack rolls max. I believe that this is based on the Gunner being a different person than Han and Han's ability only applies to him.

I think that was a poor ruling. It is only two attacks, however, Han is playing the odds to try and get a better roll. It's a weaker version of target lock that doesn't take an action. The cards and rules as written allow the situation I described.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Merkle
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
iNano78 wrote:
How long were the rounds? In my (limited) experience, Rebels tend to do better in tournaments with short rounds (60 minutes), while Imperials tend to do better in tournaments with long rounds (75+ minutes). At least, in the local 60 minute tournaments I've played or heard detailed reports from, 3/4 of the final 4 have been Rebels, while in the 75 minute tournaments, Imperials have swept the podium finishing 1st-2nd-3rd. All of those tournaments had exactly even numbers of Rebel and Imperial squads (but only one was wave-2).

Good question. We played 60 minute rounds. From my glances down the board, 1 in 3 matches went to time. All of my matches finished in 30 to 40 minutes. It depends on the players involved, but it is certainly reasonable that lists with more ships would benefit from longer rounds. I don't have any hard evidence though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dunford
Canada
Kemptville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TradenMyr wrote:
iNano78 wrote:

Good question. We played 60 minute rounds. From my glances down the board, 1 in 3 matches went to time. All of my matches finished in 30 to 40 minutes. It depends on the players involved, but it is certainly reasonable that lists with more ships would benefit from longer rounds. I don't have any hard evidence though.

30-40 minutes for your matches doesn't surprise me (that's typical for Imperial vs Rebel), but my guess is that any Imperial players that ran into other Imperials (i.e. "mirror matches") probably went to time and resulted in "modified wins." I had that problem in a 60 minute tournament where I strung together a nice series of "modified wins." It can even be close in 75 minute matches.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Morton
United States
Brackenridge
PA
flag msg tools
[Daytrip Gaming]
mbmbmbmbmb
iNano78 wrote:

30-40 minutes for your matches doesn't surprise me (that's typical for Imperial vs Rebel), but my guess is that any Imperial players that ran into other Imperials (i.e. "mirror matches") probably went to time and resulted in "modified wins." I had that problem in a 60 minute tournament where I strung together a nice series of "modified wins." It can even be close in 75 minute matches.

Very true, and the reason I flew a 4 ship Rebel list.

Stealth Device and the bad Attack to Defense ratio of Imp mirror is hard. If you don't put all your guns on 1 guy and try to go Ship-to-Ship, you will have a bunch of limping, turning, pop guns on the board.

The only time I see it go faster was either:
A) One of the players knows more about the mirror, and implements it

B) There is fewer on one side than the other by about 3+ Ships

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mårten Cederholm
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
USMMA95 wrote:

Well, when using Han's abilit it is STILL the same attack.
If you re-roll you don't get to keep the dice yo re-roll so this is completely wrong, sorry.

You get your attack, and as explained you can use Han's ability to re-roll all dice that CAN be re-rolled.

Also, it's still technically Han solo who does the attack even though it's the Gunner who activates it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.