Dalynun Duma
South Korea
Maryland
flag msg tools
Would it be because that they are hard gamers?
or is it because this game tends to be so obvious in strategy over repeated plays?

If the former is the case, I'm planning on busying,
if the latter... well..

Or How many plays do you think it would take a medium-gamer to start feeling this is getting too obvious?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ien C.
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm no expert in the game but I have immensely enjoyed several games, doing well with a number of different strategies and tactics, none of which seemed obviously better than others.

I haven't heard anyone talk about lack of replayability -- where have you seen that?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dalynun Duma
South Korea
Maryland
flag msg tools
Thanks a lot for your answer!

Some gamers I've seen on the internet who have written reviews and short comments on this game...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ien C.
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd love to see any representative reviews or comments -- as I am fascinated by the game and am curious to hear what others think.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dalynun Duma
South Korea
Maryland
flag msg tools
ghopper21 wrote:
I'd love to see any representative reviews or comments -- as I am fascinated by the game and am curious to hear what others think.

Well..
they were all in Korean language.
To roughtly translate,

A said : Well I guess this is a good family game, but as the simplicity of
the strategy, the replayability is expected to be not good.

B said : It's an excellent game, as for the replayability however,
I'd have to agree with A.

Something like this.
And I remember some more who made similar comments.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Lock
Canada
Halifax
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
runningduma wrote:
Would it be because that they are hard gamers?
or is it because this game tends to be so obvious in strategy over repeated plays?

If the former is the case, I'm planning on busying,
if the latter... well..

Or How many plays do you think it would take a medium-gamer to start feeling this is getting too obvious?

I would say that one reason is the crown cards are the most powerful and can really dictate strategy. They appear somewhat randomly but only by a round or two.

Also I find that the property cards can start to feel the same and it doesn't matter if it is a dog or a chef, they both just cost money.

That said I still like it after 5 or 6 plays but my wife is done with it. It is good with two luckily.

Cheers

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen McHale
United States
Falling Waters
West Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I have played 12 times and still enjoy it, and I think it WILL LAST in our collection for a long time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Matthews
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Last Will has plenty of replayability and variable strategies to try out as players come to understand the mechanisms and realize how other players' interactions change the race. And this game is a kind of race.

It is not a very complex game so there is a plateau of learning. There are maybe 3-4 primary strategies that one mixes up to various degrees depending on both when cards are available and if you can get to them before your opponent (who may be trying to block you or may be just going for the same strategy). We even started bluffing in order to keep other players from blocking us. There is continuing emergence of strategies as we play the game more (we're on 12 or so plays so far).

It is not, like some games, highly customizable nor does it have a highly random setup like Cosmic Encounter or Dominion can. And highly customizable is still pretty hot. So some people will equate this with "not replayable", but some people would say that of any game that doesn't have "a billion combinations" of one thing or another.

I do not see us playing this every day and wanting more, but we also have no indication of it getting old either. We are currently playing it almost weekly, sometimes a bit more as a nice light euro with a theme that is actually fun but not weighing it down.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
mlock wrote:

That said I still like it after 5 or 6 plays but my wife is done with it. It is good with two luckily.

Cheers

So your mistress is a fan?

whistlewhistlewhistlewhistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Kwan
Hong Kong
Hong Kong
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Locally, many "gamers" sell this game short IMO. The game requires the player to juggle several resources (cards, actions, tableau space), but some players don't quite "get it" and blame their loss on the game design.

It's fair to say that the game is "samey", in the sense that chess, go, etc. are also "samey".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Deignan
United States
Fremont
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can understand it to a certain extent. The game is a simple victory point race with a cute little disguise about spending money instead of earning it. Paint it any way you want; you're still really trying to race to a set number of victory points (in this case, from X to 0 could just as easily have been from 0 to X.) It's just more fun to "spend all your money" than it is to score a certain number of points first.

If you don't find the theme cute (I do), then I can see where this would lack replayability. I think of it as a slight step above gateway, but not terribly complex.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dalynun Duma
South Korea
Maryland
flag msg tools
Thank you folks.
I was going to buy it anyway... : - P

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damon Asher
United States
Jefferson
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would be more concerned about this without the variable staring cash. Different strategies are most effective depending on how much cash you need to get rid of, so that really helps keep things fresh. Do you focus on short- or long-term cash burn?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Kwan
Hong Kong
Hong Kong
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Property prices add a subtle trick to this VP race. They effectively set (and lower) a cap to your "score" until you sell them; I don't think I have ever seen a similar mechanism anywhere else. And variable starting cash doesn't only mean a different goal you have to accomplish, it also specifies the amount of cash you can spend before you have to sell your properties.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.