Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sylvain Gauthier
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My group & I love coop games so I'm considering to buy the Z-Man edition in the summer because lot of people say it's very good and difficult.

Problem is, I don't really like worker placement games.

So, does the worker placement a main driving mechanic or kind of a complimentary mechanic in this game ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic Lauke
Germany
Görlitz
Sachsen
flag msg tools
badge
Sponsored by AR147
mb
In my opinion it is not really a worker placement game. You have to place your markers on different actions, and it is technically the main thing you have to do. So it means you have to go hunting, build your roof or invent something new ... Robinson Crusoe is so much more. It tells a story, you easily imagine you be one a lonely island and every one is required to fullfil the scenario goal. So it is maybe more a puzzle or so ...

I like it so much and i wouldn`t compare it with typical worker placement titles like caylus or sth.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S. R.
Germany
Mainz
Rheinland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
It's a fearful thing, to fall into the Hands of the Living God!
badge
Tell me, have you found the Yellow Sign?
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, the placement of pawns is, I would argue, an integral part of the game. After all, communication and cooperation in this game is all about "who does what at what time, where". By placing the different pawns, you establish these priorities that are debated and agreed on by the group.
Also, there is an element involved that makes the players place more than one worker for specific actions, depending on situation as well as other factors. Placement of pawns is therefore important, but the number of pawns needed for a specific action even more so.

However, there is no element of competition here. Which means that players don't fight over spaces where the pawns can be placed, but instead discuss and agree upon where they are placed. The main aspect of "worker placement" (the competition), therefore, is not part of this game.
You could think of the pawns rather as a sort of mix between markers (to define which actions are done), a ressource (time, that is) and also the depiction of where a specific character is at that (unspecified) time.

So, if you don't like deliberately placing pawns on the board in order to mark the actions that are being done, then this game is not for you. But I would be completely flabberghasted if that were the case - because then it becomes a manner of principle, not mechanics dislike.

Also, if you would shun this game, you would deny yourself the experience of a truly atmospheric game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Houserule Jay
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, its true, the tired old mechanic is there. Its really group dependant how much people will notice it.

A group can, if they try hard enough, ignore the theme and developing story, and only focus on the tasks needing done and where they must go to do them. (People can also choose to poke themselves in the eye, too)

Honestly I have nothing against WP but like deck-building it is now overused. The thing is if a theme is strong enough the mechanics really can melt into the background, and vice versa, with no theme, its really the mechanics that stand out.

So for us, the mechanics which also include rolling dice, something I am really not crazy about due to the luck they bring, really are NOT in our conscious thoughts at all. RC is a very themactic AND demanding game, there is a LOT to do with not enough time to do it, its a fight for survival, and you really get engrossed in the developing story/adventure and the planning/discussion on just how the hell you are going to try and survive the perils of the Island.

YMMV as noted, but I suspect 80% of the people are going to have this experience.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe K
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jayjonbeach wrote:

A group can, if they try hard enough, ignore the theme and developing story, and only focus on the tasks needing done and where they must go to do them.

In general I agree.

Going into detail, I have the feeling (I do not know it for sure though, but I recognized it within my gaming group), that this effect could be observed quite often, unfortunately. The taste on theme and story will be selected by individual preferences, patterns, and selective choices. And therefore some people simply to not like one particular aspect of a game, rendering a game completely unnecessary to play.

Game Developers simply can´t predict unless they´re sure they really created a big bang.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sylvain Gauthier
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks everybody, that was useful, now I have a better idea about the game.
But just for the heck of it, let see if I understand right.

Reason why I dislike WP like, Lords of Waterdeep, Caylus and Pillars of the Earth, to name a few, it's because they all feel the same to me...placing a worker there to get wood, or stone, or blah blah blah....zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz ! snore

So Robinson would feel different because it's coop and there is so much to do besides WP ?

If that's the case, I will definitely put RC on my "must-have list" once Z-Man release it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Stocks
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Until this thread I hadn't really thought of the game as a worker placement, I certainly wouldn't put it in the same category as Pillars of the earth etc. I think it would be better to call it 'time management' and it just happens that you use tokens to show how time is spent (similar I know). I wouldnt even say its a dice rolling game, there are dice, but you don't have to use them, you would never ever win, but you don't have to use them. Every decision you make is so painful, not like a standard worker placement where you tend to get something of use no matter what you do (anyone who has played Belfort may have recognized that nearly everything you do is good and its hard to lose by a large margin).

Definitely worth getting hold of this game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.