Subject: Weekly quickie! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rober Khan
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmb
Hi, guys!

We were just wondering: do intercepted task forces in the first round of an interception combat (i.e: trying to fight their way through) substract 1 for every 10 enemy CPs in the area from their search roll? We know that the intercepting side gets it not, but the wording is ambiguous in regards to the intercepted side.

Thanks, as usual!
Roberkhan

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grog Jones
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you do get the plus for CP with the moving task force - the wording says that the interception attempt doesn't get the plus, but the moving task force is simply rolling search dice as normal for a combat. However, as you say it's a little ambiguous.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sensible Simon
Spain
Valencia
flag msg tools
Just to expand:

An Italian cruiser with a MTN div is trying to get past a British blockade and reach Oran. The British have SCS in the 3 section of the Western med and convoy points in the 0 section. The Italian has a NAV in the 3 section. Weather is fine.

British decides to intercept and rolls a 2. Italian decides to fight through, puts his cruiser in the 3 section and rolls a 5.

The paragraph in the rules which is making us doubt is:

"Subtract 1 from your search roll for every 10 enemy convoy points (or
part) in the sea area. This modifier does not apply to interception
attempts, port attacks or during storm or blizzard. This modifier does
apply after the first round of an interception combat."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
It's ambiguous. I believe neither side gets the CP search bonus during the interception attempt (first round).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rober Khan
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmb
OK, we'll stay with the "no bonus overall" solution. Poor Abruzzi
Thanks for the input!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberto Amestoy
Spain
Villamediana de Iregua
La Rioja
flag msg tools

I think it doesn´t get the modifier because the rule says that this modifiers would be applied after the first interception round.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grog Jones
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it's still open to interpretation either way. The rules say that you dont get the modifier on an interception attempt . Fine, but lets take the case where you dont try to fight through but stop instead.

The intercepting side rolls their dice (no modifier) and finds. This is the interception attempt.

The moving stack now decides whether to fight through or to stop.

If it decides to stop, the interception is over, it becomes normal naval combat - so, presumably, the ex-moving stack now gets the CP modifier. But the intercepting side has already rolled its dice, so again presumably doesnt get the modifier in the first round (if it did, additional units not involved initially could get included so that sounds wrong)

If it decides to fight through, we now start the first round of combat as an interception. Again, the intercepting stack uses its dice roll (without modifier) for the first round. The moving stack now rolls as usual - this isn't the interception attempt, so one interpretation is that it does get the CP modifier.

As it happens, I think we've been playing it wrong for the last 20 years and have been applying the CP modifier to interception attempts full stop. Maybe we'll carry on doing that just to avoid the debate......

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sensible Simon
Spain
Valencia
flag msg tools
If you decide to stop the intercepting side has to make another roll in the your opponents naval combat phase if he wants to initiate, though. It's only if you decide to fight through that the intercepting side uses the interception roll as a search roll in the subsequent naval combat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.