Popular Tags: [View All]
Barry Goldstein
United States
Culver City
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This video from Ebaum's world shows a duo playing a checkers variant which is labelled "Turkish Checkers."

Seems pretty simple rule wise. Pieces are moving one square horizontally or vertically. They also jump in that direction. When a piece is KINGED, it looks like it has the ability to slide as far down or over a row and then jump (moves like a Rook and then jumps a piece).

At first I thought this video was just the player on the top of the board throwing the game (he loses a piece every turn).

Well, check it out.. I don't want to over-describe.

http://www.ebaumsworld.com/2006/01/turkishcheckers.html

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hahaha! Excellent! laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Leighton
England
Peterborough
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
drbsgold wrote:
This video from Ebaum's world shows a dup playing a checkers variant which is labelled "Turkish Checkers."

Seems pretty simple rule wise. Pieces are moving one square horizontally or vertically.

They can also move and take diagonally forward as well.

In fact there are a lot of traditional checkers games from various countries. See http://www.steve-and-pattie.com/esperantujo/damoj/chex-web.h... for more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerald McDaniel
United States
Lakewood
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That video was cool, and the steve-and-pattie site is neat.

But, I have never seen the variation my grandmother taught me in the 1950's, which she must have learned around the end of the 1800's or early 1900's -- Six Corner Kings. Both players begin with six kings placed in two parallel diagonal rows, one player's kings in one corner, and the other players's kings in the opposite diagonal corner. All kings must stay on the same color spaces (as in regular checkers) and normally move like regular checker kings. However, you can jump your own king without removing it, which allows some interesting move possibilities and traps. I recall that you could count the jump of your own king the same as a capture of an opponent, so you could jump your own piece and then capture one or more opponent kings in the same move.

I believe this was the first variation of a game I had ever seen, and we played it frequently.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris schott
United States
saint louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gerald,

please write up the Six Corner Kings rules and submit them as a variant on the checkers page!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Piet Skjæveland
Norway
Tananger
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Psycho video =)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Goldstein
United States
Culver City
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for this link.

I just played my first game of Turkish Checkers....pretty good!

When a piece is "queened" she becomes extremely powerful.
End game is very quick.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.