Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Odd-Gunnar Wikmark
Norway
Kvaloysletta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hi,

Is the french chits representing all the allied minors? I.e. in scenario 110: Arctic Assault, who is representing the norwegian forces, the Chasseur & Reservist?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Buetow
United States
McHenry
Illinois
flag msg tools
Combat Commander Archivist
badge
Move! Advance! Fire! Rout! Recover! Artillery Denied! Artillery Request! Command Confusion...say what?!
mbmbmbmbmb
Akashi_12 wrote:
Hi,

Is the french chits representing all the allied minors? I.e. in scenario 110: Arctic Assault, who is representing the norwegian forces, the Chasseur & Reservist?

For the most part. And yes, Chasseurs and Reservists make up the Norwegian forces in Scenario 110. The British deck gets used for the Canadians from time to time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher O
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Summer grasses / All that remains / Of soldiers' dreams. - Basho.
mbmbmbmbmb
French deck and units also sub in for the Poles in some scenarios.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Odd-Gunnar Wikmark
Norway
Kvaloysletta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Dosent exactly feel right..

Malacandra wrote:
Akashi_12 wrote:
Hi,

For the most part. And yes, Chasseurs and Reservists make up the Norwegian forces in Scenario 110. The British deck gets used for the Canadians from time to time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chadwik
United States
Santa Rosa
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure.
mbmbmbmbmb
Akashi_12 wrote:

The light blue fate deck is crafted for use with all the Allied minor nations, including France. The light green fate deck is used for minor nations that fought against the Allies, including Italy. The tan fate deck represents Britain and the Commonwealth nations.

Within those three broad factions, nation-specific flavor and capabilities is usually seen in force structure and in the scenario special rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Odd-Gunnar Wikmark
Norway
Kvaloysletta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Chad Jensen wrote:
Akashi_12 wrote:

The light blue fate deck is crafted for use with all the Allied minor nations, including France. The light green fate deck is used for minor nations that fought against the Allies, including Italy. The tan fate deck represents Britain and the Commonwealth nations.

Within those three broad factions, nation-specific flavor and capabilities is usually seen in force structure and in the scenario special rules.

I see. I understand that cost is probably the main reason behind this, but wouldn´t it be possible to include a few counters that represent the units (say Norway) to be printed along with the scenario. Would seem quite possible when the scenarios are published in magazines. One would still use the appropriate fate deck (blue) but the chits would give a bit more flavor to the scenario(s). They wouldnt even need to be of the same quality as the ones in the game, whatever is good for publishing in the magazine.

What I am getting at is that separate fate decks would be impossible for each nation, but a few chits should be feasible?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Collars
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Akashi_12 wrote:
Chad Jensen wrote:
Akashi_12 wrote:

I see. I understand that cost is probably the main reason behind this, but wouldn´t it be possible to include a few counters that represent the units (say Norway) to be printed along with the scenario. Would seem quite possible when the scenarios are published in magazines. One would still use the appropriate fate deck (blue) but the chits would give a bit more flavor to the scenario(s). They wouldnt even need to be of the same quality as the ones in the game, whatever is good for publishing in the magazine.

What I am getting at is that separate fate decks would be impossible for each nation, but a few chits should be feasible?

Except that normally C3i counter sheets are filled with 1/2" counters and the units counters in CC are 5/8". That of course doesn't mean that a 3/8" counter sheet for C3i couldn't be created nor does it mean that GMT may not at some point produce a Minor Nation counter sheet for purchase. Hmmm, I may need to speak with Andy....whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chadwik
United States
Santa Rosa
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure.
mbmbmbmbmb
Akashi_12 wrote:
...but a few chits should be feasible?

Not as much as you may think. Each new nationality would need a non-insignificant portion of a 5/8" countersheet (for its units and markers) and another for 1/2" counters (for its weapons and markers).

GMT would need to hire someone to do new soldier and weapon artwork.

And would any of the basic stats really be different enough to warrant the expense of an entirely new set of counters? I'm not talking about specialty units like assault engineers or partisans, but regular rifle squads, weapon teams, light machine guns and the like. The basic differences are already modeled within the various squad/weapon types and through variable force structures.

Adding separate counters to the game for Yugoslavians, Greeks, Poles, Norwegians, Danes, Dutch, Belgians, Finns, Romanians, Hungarians, Bulgarians, Vichy French, Slovakians, Spaniards, etc. would also create a logistical issue for players: how do you store them all? There have been numerous complaints about the storage of the many redundant leaders from the Normandy battle pack.

Producing separate units (and decks) for every nationality has been mentioned a handful of times through the years. As far as I know GMT's never seriously considered it; I suppose they feel that sales wouldn't warrant the effort and cost to produce another dozen or so countersheets of functionally redundant components for use with but a small handful of scenarios.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Laws
Canada
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
"I play to win, as much or more than any egoist who thinks he's going to win by other means. I want to win the match. But I don't give in to tactical reasoning as the only way to win, rather I believe that efficacy is not divorced from beauty."
mbmbmbmbmb
Chad Jensen wrote:

Producing separate units (and decks) for every nationality has been mentioned a handful of times through the years. As far as I know GMT's never seriously considered it; I suppose they feel that sales wouldn't warrant the effort and cost to produce another dozen or so countersheets of functionally redundant components for use with but a small handful of scenarios.

If only GMT had a way to judge consumer interest before committing all the man-hours and dollars to the project.. Some kind of pledge or preorder system whereby we could place an order (perhaps at some nominal discount) and then when the required number of units had sold the design and manufacture process could kick into action, say around 500 units or so.

They could call it the 500 Queue, or wait the Q500!

I don't know, all blue-sky thinking, it'd probably never work in practice.

whistle

In all seriousness, how functionally different are decks for Norway and Holland and Greece and Poland going to be?

Perhaps just a sheet of leaders of various nationalities would do the trick.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Odd-Gunnar Wikmark
Norway
Kvaloysletta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Chad Jensen wrote:

I think that they could just print it in C3i along with the scenario. No need for cards. I mean, Norway with 1 scenario, thats like 5-10 squads/teams including a couple leaders. They can just use British SW, they did that anyway historically.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pardoe
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Akashi_12 wrote:
I think that they could just print it in C3i along with the scenario. No need for cards. I mean, Norway with 1 scenario, thats like 5-10 squads/teams including a couple leaders. They can just use British SW, they did that anyway historically.

And use the existing French (Allied Minor) Units should you get a Reinforcements event? (Or Hidden Unit action if the scenario defender?)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pardoe
United States
flag msg tools
badge
HarlemMimeSchool wrote:
Perhaps just a sheet of leaders of various nationalities would do the trick.

That was in Vassal and I found it more gimmicky than useful.

And in a sense it has been done already - Combat Commander: Battle Pack #3 – Normandy with all of its leaders. The trouble is that the stats are essentially cookie-cutter with the only thing changing being the name.

In my experience, the name of the leader is the last thing I pay attention while playing. Same with teams/squads - it is the stats that I focus on as I ignore the name once the I have pulled the appropriate counters to set-up the scenario.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Confusion Under Fire
United Kingdom
Warrington
Cheshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Akashi_12 wrote:
Chad Jensen wrote:
Akashi_12 wrote:

Might be a good home project for someone?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.