Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
CanCon, BunnyCon...BorderCon!!!
Australia
KILLARA
VIC
flag msg tools
badge
May 2018 be all you dreamed it would be and be all that you dreamed...
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok so we have some amazing toys coming our way in 2014.

I was just wondering if the base box was designed to hold all those goodies?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom H
Australia
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Neil Thomson wrote:

Ah hahaha Bahaha
Bwahahaha
HOO HOOO HEEEHEEE.
Huh hm. Excuse me. No, I don't think so.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CanCon, BunnyCon...BorderCon!!!
Australia
KILLARA
VIC
flag msg tools
badge
May 2018 be all you dreamed it would be and be all that you dreamed...
mbmbmbmbmb
Terah wrote:
Neil Thomson wrote:

Ah hahaha Bahaha
Bwahahaha
HOO HOOO HEEEHEEE.

Ok so have people begun thinking about solutions - I don't have a big miniatures background.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mark guckeyson
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Well, Battlefoam is looking likely to carry specific trays for MYTH, since they have the inserts for the box (which won't hold everything). KR Multicase has a variety of pick and pull trays that should work too.

You're going to want to budget some funds that way, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grim Reaper
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Basically you will only need a special storage if you paint your minis. In that case there are various options. Myself I will most likely use foam trays once I painted the minis.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mark guckeyson
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Grim Reaper is right... unless you're really beating the heck out of the box, tossing them in loose shouldn't be a big deal. As soon as you paint them, if you transport the game a lot or have enough of a touch of OCD, then you get to go buy (or make) trays.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Smith
United Kingdom
Solihull
West Midlands
flag msg tools
http://www.youtube.com/user/SmoothCJS
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, assuming there's not too much 'overflow' (I.e. top half of figures bigger than the base) I'm hoping it'll be fairly easy to make a custom box out of cardboard (and maybe wood if that works well).

Square bases just means it ought to be a fairly easy arrangement...in my mind anyway.

From what every says though it's not worth it when not painting (I'm not...but meh, cool storage solutions ho!) so you can easily get some ziplock bags or get a plastic box with convenient sized compartments - a lot of people do that for Zombicide, seems to work well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Quick and cheap suggestions:

For unpainted figures, yes, baggies. Mebbe store in smaller boxes (eg. 100-card CCG plastic containers) for figures with bendy bits.

Since these figures are light plastic with a flat base, you can use sticky tack to keep the figures from jostling about, and some sort of box. Frex: Plano box, old boardgame box or other shallow box with lid, cereal box "tray" within a cereal box "sleeve", etc. So with the plano box, you get one whose height is slightly higher than the mini's. Secure the mini's upright with the sticky tack.

If you gotta use foam, get some cheap 1/2" thick foam from a crafts store. Put two or more sheets in a box. Sammich the miniature between foam. Secure box with rubber band or whatever.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan Haglert
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Neil Thomson wrote:
Terah wrote:
Neil Thomson wrote:

Ah hahaha Bahaha
Bwahahaha
HOO HOOO HEEEHEEE.

Ok so have people begun thinking about solutions - I don't have a big miniatures background.
What about baggies?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Itai Rosenbaum
Israel
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've never painted minis before, but I plan to do so with Myth.

Can someone please explain why we can't keep 'em in baggies if they're painted?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thrawn 007
msg tools
I'm budgeting an addition to my house.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mark guckeyson
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
IronSyndicate wrote:

It's not that you can't, it's that when you let painted figs rattle around, the paint chips. And you really can't touch them up, short of stripping them clean (fun!) and repainting.

You DO NOT want painted figs in anything other than foam (which purists say still scratches off the paint) or magnetic/sticky tack trays.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Itai Rosenbaum
Israel
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Got it, thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Franco
Australia
flag msg tools
markguy wrote:
IronSyndicate wrote:

It's not that you can't, it's that when you let painted figs rattle around, the paint chips. And you really can't touch them up, short of stripping them clean (fun!) and repainting.

You DO NOT want painted figs in anything other than foam (which purists say still scratches off the paint) or magnetic/sticky tack trays.

This is nonsense. I keep all my painted plastic figs in baggies, if not just loose in a box, and have never had an issue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Foerster
United States
Unspecified
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
that's what she said.....

come on no one thought of it???
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Behne
United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
www.punchboardmedia.com/geaux-gaming/
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mr Skeletor wrote:
markguy wrote:
IronSyndicate wrote:

This is nonsense. I keep all my painted plastic figs in baggies, if not just loose in a box, and have never had an issue.

Its not nonsense. What works for you may not work for others.

I've kept painted figs like that and they've lost half the paint. Climate and frequency of use will be a factor.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Barnes
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
markguy wrote:
IronSyndicate wrote:

That totally depends. These are plastic miniatures, metal miniatures have way more of an issue with my experience. You definitely do not have to keep them in foam to protect them. Will they be more protected? Sure, but if you don't store them in foam it doesn't mean they will chip.

I have started up painting again and have painted some Descent stuff and Claustrophobia, and have no issues just throwing them in the boxes. I see nothing chipped. If you clear coat them when you are done, it should be pretty resilient, unless you are throwing your box down the stairs often.

And you can't touch up minis? It would depend, but it is paint, you can always touch it up if you really have to. And if you prime it to begin with, the paint is actually really hard to scratch off at all.

Primed, and sealed plastic miniatures are going to be fine in the box for the most part. Though, if you are traveling a lot with it or are rough with it, you might need to think about a more protective storage solution. But honestly, I wouldn't worry about it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mark guckeyson
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I agree it's possible to touch them up, but I've never been satisfied with the results. And you're right, metal figs will have more issues than plastic figs, particularly the plastic MERCS is apparently using.

I still wouldn't spend the time and money to paint any fig and then toss them into a baggie. Which is what IronSyndicate asked. Not a box, a bag. And in my opinion, that's going to be a... well, not a disaster, but a serious pain to fix. It's just a question of when.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Barnes
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
markguy wrote:
I agree it's possible to touch them up, but I've never been satisfied with the results. And you're right, metal figs will have more issues than plastic figs, particularly the plastic MERCS is apparently using.

I still wouldn't spend the time and money to paint any fig and then toss them into a baggie. Which is what IronSyndicate asked. Not a box, a bag. And in my opinion, that's going to be a... well, not a disaster, but a serious pain to fix. It's just a question of when.

Yea, I usually just try to stand them all up in the box, and they are fine. Sure, a few might fall down occasionally, but nothing dramatic happens with my games, most of the time at least

I am just saying that the only time I have used foam is on my metal miniatures minis back in the day. Acrylic paint is pretty flexible, and it isn't going to just crack and chip off from my experience. I am definitely going to wait and see how things fit before I invest too much in a storage solution.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mark guckeyson
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
It's occurred to me I'm thinking more along the lines of a 40K army getting transported to a con or gaming night and less along the lines of a boardgame you pull down to a table.

Given that, MattVid's advice would likely be perfectly safe. Me, I also have small children who want to play to worry about, so treating them as if they're going to be transported seems a safer bet!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Franco
Australia
flag msg tools
markguy wrote:
Mr Skeletor wrote:

I actually had to unblock you to see what the comment was. Your experience is, in my 20+ years of tabletop gaming, unique. Unless your standards are low. Which, given your contribution to the forums, seems likely.

So, back you go on the ignore list and for IronSyndicate, best of luck whichever route you choose!

Seems someone is a bit upset I've called their battlefoam investment a waste of money. Which it is.

To the person who originally asked: believe me you don't need foam. Battlefoam is for metal miniatures or fragile plastic ones which have been glued together with lots of 'snapable' parts (like Games workshop sometimes make.)
For plastic figures like these it's total overkill. Paint doesn't scratch of as easy as some people are claiming (note: I do clear coat my figs with spray, which I would recomend you do. Maybe that's what makes my figs magically durable.
My painted descent 1st ed figures use to live loose in one of the expansion boxes with no problems. They now live in a massive toolbox and I have yet to see any damage (I have baggied the smaller ones into there types to make them easier to find.) All my other games that I have painted live in a baggy in the gamebox.
Even my prepaints are fine. My heroscapes live in a series of mailer boxes, and my tannhauser live in a baggie with that figures cards. All fine.
I'll be bagging my Myth figs by type and tossing them into a box. You will be fine doing the same.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.