Stasia Doster
United States
Sherman
Texas
flag msg tools
If I am not gaming, I am reading!
mbmbmbmbmb
Game 7 is now complete:

Villain: The Bog Fiend, using only his basic abilities (this is the first time I had ever used him in a game) although I did use the Advanced Minion chart

Heroes: Lucy Hanbrook; Victor Danforth, the Playwright; Valeria, the Eternal; and Inspector Cooke

I had my daughter picked the heroes at random for this game. I had played with both Victor and the Inspector before, but not played with either of the lady characters – it was funny because at one point in the game, Victor actually had Lucy as an ally (he drew her Ally card at the Manor.)

During the second turn of the game, one of the cards (the “Evil is on the Move” Mystery Card) that seeded the board with investigation tokens at every named location showed up. It was a good thing too, because for the rest of the game, investigation tokens were few and far between. I spent a lot of the game trying to get Victor enough investigation tokens so that he could buy the Runic Amulet at the Blacksmith’s so that he could fight with his Spirit rather than his Combat, but I could never get enough investigations for him to be able to do that. In the end, he had the Pistol and one other card that increased his Combat to 3 – not nearly enough for the final Showdown.

On the other hand, Valeria was swimming in investigation tokens because every time the Shadow Track moved down, she gained another one. She was also swooping across the board picking up investigation tokens everywhere. She spent virtually the entire game on the board from the Something Wicked expansion. I had her reveal all of the Town Elder’s secrets. Doctor Manning’s was the only secret that turned out to be evil, so of course, he promptly joined the Bog Fiend. All of the other Town Elder’s secrets had no effects on the Showdown. Valeria ended up with only 2 items: the Flail, which increased her Combat by 2, and the Sacred Stone, which increased both her Spirit and Honor by 1.

I was able to snag an ally for Lucy, whose Combat rating was as almost as bad as Victor’s, but unfortunately she lost her Militia Soldier because of one of the rolls on the Minion chart (“Carried Off in the Night”). Both Lucy and Valeria each lost an ally to this event. Valeria lost The Scarlet Shadow ally in this manner. Lucy did pick up a Sabre and a Dagger, both of which increased her Combat strength.

Having played with Inspector Cooke before, I knew enough to make sure his Cunning was high and to pick up the Tools of Science at the Blacksmith’s. I also purchased the Book of Town History, which added another +1 to his Cunning, as well as the Scroll of Knowledge from the Monastery. In the end though, it did not matter.

One of the major problems in this particular game was that every single time during the game I had a character land on one of the spaces that reads for encounters “Roll a D6. On a 3+ draw an Event. On a 1 or 2, draw a Mystery card,” without fail the entire game, my characters had to draw Mystery cards. We ended up with no less than 6 extra Mystery cards with which we had to deal and that definitely took its toll. I was nowhere near ready to go into the Showdown round when I did but I felt that I had to because we were already at 3 on the Shadow Track.

The Showdown round was an unmitigated disaster. I chose Lord and Lady Hanbrook, both of whom had Resolve tokens on them, as part of my Hunting Party and assigned Lord Hanbrook to Inspector Cooke and Lady Hanbrook to Valeria. It really not matter. The Bog Fiend was rolling 9 Combat die every turn and the most I had one character rolling was 7. Lucy and Valeria both died in the initial round, Victor took 3 wounds and Inspector Cooke took 1 in the first round. Both the Inspector and Victor died in the second round of fighting. There was nothing I could do to prevent it from happening.

This game was a tough loss. I knew that my characters were not ready for the Showdown round. Next game, I will try and ensure that the characters are much better prepared.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MoonSylver
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
scdoster wrote:
it was funny because at one point in the game, Victor actually had Lucy as an ally (he drew her Ally card at the Manor.)

Per the Hero Packs, any time a Hero who also has a Ally card has that card drawn, it represents the Hero being called "home" to consult with the drawing Hero (or they investigate their home location if drawing themselves) & each gain 2D6 Investigation.
---MS
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stasia Doster
United States
Sherman
Texas
flag msg tools
If I am not gaming, I am reading!
mbmbmbmbmb
M00NSYLVER wrote:
scdoster wrote:
it was funny because at one point in the game, Victor actually had Lucy as an ally (he drew her Ally card at the Manor.)

Per the Hero Packs, any time a Hero who also has a Ally card has that card drawn, it represents the Hero being called "home" to consult with the drawing Hero (or they investigate their home location if drawing themselves) & each gain 2D6 Investigation.
---MS

Nice to know! Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.