Carlos Oliveira
United States
south orange
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Morning everyone, so ive been contemplated sleeving my cards for a couple days now for board games, but being that i own alot of board/cards games plus get a few month it will be quite an investment. My biggest issue im thinking of, and i wondering how all you do it, is for card games like Poo,we didnt playest this, fluxx, etc when you sleeve them they will not fit in the original small boxes anymore, so then what does everyone do?

Also for bigger board games like say sentinels of multiverse, cards against humanity, and so on when you sleeve they more then likely wont fit in the original box either sleeved, maybe someone can help me out on my concerns above

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I went through a sleeving phase. I sleeved everything. I have since backedoff. If a game is shuffled 1x per play I don't bother sleeving. If agame has sturdy cards, I don't bother sleeving. Only two games I own are sleeved now. Legendary(frail cards) and glory to rome black box(rare and frail) I am much happier having given up the card condoms.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terence Jones
Australia
flag msg tools
I find using one of the old 6" floppy disc boxes is good because it holds more cards sleeved then a standard card box.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelus Seniores
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess it depends on how much the cards are being used.
If you play a game only once in a while or the cards are only drawn occasionaly, they shouldnt get damaged/need sleeving.
If you really want to sleeve, then I think you may need to make a storage tray of your own to make it fit in the box if they're too big for the original tray.

Myself, I only sleeve cards of cardgames which see extensive use.
But I never sleeve cards which are part of a boardgame.
I must say that I do pay attention to the cards, not bending them/shuffling roughly etc. which increases their lifetime.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark L
United Kingdom
Belfast
Northern Ireland
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I started sleeving cards because I realised that some games involve a lot of shuffling, and therefore the cards are more likely to get damaged. Then there are those out-of-print games that you want to protect because they might cost a lot to replace if something gets spilled.

But once I'd sleeved one or two, I realised how much easier it is to shuffle them and, since I'm a clumsy dolt, I liked feeling that my cards were safe from my spillaging tendencies -- and those of other clumsy dolts! So I ended up sleeving the cards for most of my games.

I don't sleeve everything, though. In some cases I had to remove the insert from the box to make them fit back in after sleeving, and if I'm not willing to do that I just won't sleeve the cards in the first place.

If I'm concerned about the cards and/or other components sliding around without an insert, I put everything in ziploc bags to keep them safe -- actually I often do that anyway with the pieces as it makes them much easier to sort out at the start of the game, but bagging the cards is something I'd only do if they're sliding around all over the box.

Card games like Fluxx, as you mentioned above, wouldn't fit back in the box, so I generally haven't sleeved them. They're fairly cheap, so replacing them wouldn't be prohibitive -- and there's no danger of them going out of print any time soon!

And sleeving Gloom, with its transparent plastic cards, would be kind of insane...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ms. Shug
United States
Round Rock
TX
flag msg tools
badge
Got my eye on you!
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for reminding me that I need to sleeve the cards in Clash of Cultures. The quality on those was pretty poor and I saw the paper lifting up on the corners of a couple of cards after the first shuffle. So, yes, I sleeve when the quality of the cards is obviously poor and/or, a game involves lots of shuffling.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't imagine sleeving somethiong like "We Didn't Playtest This At All" or "Fluxx". These are just supposed to be fun time killers with some laughs thrown in. They are sloppy games, but they are SUPPOSED to be sloppy. Sleeving them would be like getting out your best china for a super bowl cookout.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Gagnon
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
Graphic Designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
All my game are sleeved and I don't had too much problem till now fitting everything in the original boxes. Not necessary in their designed spot but, in the box anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Wood
United States
Darien
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you are sleeving playtest, then it is good that you reached out for help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlos Oliveira
United States
south orange
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
thanks everyone for the input, and no i wont be sleeving playtest, those were examples haha im thinking of sleeving zombicide, cards against humanity,Poo,killer bunnies,chez geek,Dixit,Munckin,Smash up, Foodfight, senintels of multiverse, marvel legendary, and cash n guns. I think those will about cover all the current games i have to sleeve for now anyway. But some of those like cards against humanity wont fit in the original box anymore, mhm

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin C.
United States
Bethlehem
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
But some of those like cards against humanity wont fit in the original box anymore, mhm

I just have those kind of games in sandwich size plastic bags or in small Tupperware things. (Like, for example, Battle Line & Mag Blast are in baggies while Summoner Wars & Death Angel are in small pastic containers.)

It did dawn on me, however, that a small hobby box might do the trick. I'm thinking of those boxes they sell at a place like Hobby Lobby.

Good luck.

Kevin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You've been contemplated!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.