Popular Tags: [View All]
Andy Kerrison
United Kingdom
Exeter
Devon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So, I've decided it's time to find a dungeon crawler board game to add to my modest collection. Ideally my group would like something with campaign-based play - that is, heroes level up and/or get better equipment between quests.

The obvious choice is Descent 2e, but I'm a little reluctant to buy that as it looks more like an Overlord vs Heroes race game with little consequence for character death, rather than the explore/conquest/loot kind of thing we're looking for.

Ideally we want something more in the style of HeroQuest. It needs to play 5 or more (including any DM players), it can have either automated enemies or a DM player whose goal is more D&D like - to punish the heroes for mistakes and push them close rather than ensure they get slaughtered as quickly as possible.

Doesn't necessarily need to be high-fantasy either. Other themes are fine if the mechanics are sound.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emile de Maat
Netherlands
Hengelo
Overijssel
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Myth might fit the bill, but it's still a long way off.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernard Donohue
United States
Newark
California
flag msg tools
badge
Kneel puny Doomtrooper before the might of the Ezoghoul!
mbmbmbmbmb
Track down a copy of Mutant Chronicles: Siege of the Citadel.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Arpin
United States
Baltic
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mice and Mystics would be another option for a co-op dungeon crawl. It has been on my radar but I haven't jumped on it yet.

I have been doing a campaign of Descent 2ed with my friends and it is definitely a very "Me vs Them" feel. You are also right that there is very little punishment for hero death.

Myth does look like it is going to be a good co-op dungeon crawl and buying in at the $100 level on the Kickstarter is good value, but as mentioned above you won't be seeing it for a while.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G B
United States
Crown Point
Indiana
flag msg tools
NO! I'M SPARTACUS!
badge
I will find Myntokk and I will eat him.
mbmbmbmbmb
Earth Reborn is a campaign with a gear/level up mechanism. Post apocalypse setting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Kerrison
United Kingdom
Exeter
Devon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cheers for all suggestions so far, gives me a bit of research to do!

Myth looks quite interesting. I see it's the last 24 hours of the Kickstarter now too, with loads of bonus goodies unlocked. If only they had a rulebook published I'd have a much better idea of whether it's worth a punt or not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Kerrison
United Kingdom
Exeter
Devon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've taken the plunge and gone for Myth. Less than 2 hours left on the Kickstarter. Couldn't resist it with all those stretch goals.

And if it turns out not to be great, at least I'll have nine months of hope before actually getting a copy and finding out!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cody Lenhart
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I know it's probably expensive, but I would say Warhammer Quest is my groups favorite so far. Glad I whined enough for my parents to buy it for me when I was a kid. The other one that my group is super excited for is Kingdom Death. Another Kickstarter, but based on the description, it seems just what we want. Campaign, random events, settlement building, permadeath, and monster hunter(if you've played the videogame) style weapon and gear crafting. Kingdom Death kickstarter has ended but I believe it is supposed to be out by the end of this year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Arpin
United States
Baltic
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Andy_K wrote:
I've taken the plunge and gone for Myth. Less than 2 hours left on the Kickstarter. Couldn't resist it with all those stretch goals.

And if it turns out not to be great, at least I'll have nine months of hope before actually getting a copy and finding out!

I went in pretty heavy on Myth as my "next campaign game after Descent" since that is the genre my group likes most. At worst if you don't like it I am sure you could recoup your money out of MYTH after it launches with all the bonuses it has in it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan James
United States
Commerce Township
Michigan
flag msg tools
Professor, isn't it time for your nap?
badge
YES, DAMMIT!
mbmbmbmbmb
The D&D Adventure Games can all be played as a campaign. We did it over the last year and a half and it was excellent!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Kerrison
United Kingdom
Exeter
Devon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maawdawg wrote:
At worst if you don't like it I am sure you could recoup your money out of MYTH after it launches with all the bonuses it has in it.

Yep, my thoughts exactly. So many bonus extras for that price make it a pretty low-risk investment.

Quote:
The other one that my group is super excited for is Kingdom Death

I had a look at Kingdom Death too. I'm a massive fan of the Monster Hunter series, so that intrigues me. Not sure if the rest of my group will feel the same, but I'll have plenty of time to persuade them if necessary!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
LargeGoblin
msg tools
Myth is definitely on my radar, but the character art for the females in Kingdom Death would make me embarrassed to own that game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.