Subject: Recommended player count? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Zawadi Svela
Norway
Skjetten
flag msg tools
mbmb
What is the designers recommended player count for Myth?

If I play this I think it would be with 2-3 players total for the most part. Does it play optimally without a "full" team of 4 or 5 heroes?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Hubbard
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
The game is designed for 2-5, and it's been indicated it might be possible to stretch that a little bit with house rules. I don't know if there's been a recommended count, but we've seen it played with 2 and with 4 and the flow seems to be about the same. The scaling being tied to AP and Darkness activation seems to work really nicely.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Smith
United Kingdom
Solihull
West Midlands
flag msg tools
http://www.youtube.com/user/SmoothCJS
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The recommended player count is 2-5, hence why it's 2-5 =P

You can stretch it both ways, to solo play or 6+ without too much modification (Although at 6+ you'd need to get more hero boards). As VoicelessFaces said, the way they've designed the darkness activation makes it work well for the whole range =)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Behne
United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
www.punchboardmedia.com/geaux-gaming/
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Darkness scaling is probably one of the coolest parts about this game. A smaller hero party will be able to kill fewer monsters each turn but they also won't have to worry about as many spawning. They will have more player rounds (fresh five cards) per activation whereas a larger party may only get one round per activation (or less if they are aggressive).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Symbiotic Hat

League City
Texas
msg tools
Now that there has been more time for plays, has anyone's opinion on a recommended player count changed?

I ask because I mainly play games with just my wife so I try to focus my game selection on games that work really well with 2 players, but can still scale up if necessary.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Remi Bureau
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You'll have plenty of fun with only 2 players, and if you want more variety,you can play two heroes each... but I'm sure you won't need to.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Patterson
United States
Calimesa
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
jeavis wrote:
Now that there has been more time for plays, has anyone's opinion on a recommended player count changed?

I ask because I mainly play games with just my wife so I try to focus my game selection on games that work really well with 2 players, but can still scale up if necessary.

The game isn't in anyone's hands (except maybe reviewers) so no one is going to be able to give first hand opinions yet. Scaling is one of the game's selling points, though. From reading the rules and watching videos it looks like the only thing smaller groups won't be able to do is kill bosses. Beyond that, the game looks like it should be enjoyable with any group size (within the 2-5 range).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Remi Bureau
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Boss fight will probably be harder, but I wouldn't say impossible.

On the plus side, some traps will be easier to escape with less heroes!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Johnson
United States
Pooler
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How is it for solo play, controlling multiple characters? Can't imagine it would be much tougher than running a solo game of Arkham with 4 investigators, but then again in Arkham I'm not managing a hand of cards. Maybe more like running a 4 hero Pathfinder Card Game solo?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Davis
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bastimret wrote:
Maybe more like running a 4 hero Pathfinder Card Game solo?

That would be my bet.

But again, nobody is going to be able to answer until they get the game in a few weeks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.