Subject: Female Characters rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James Buchanan
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
The Bimbo and the little girl, really?

Were you trying to make sure no women ever played the game or just that they felt sufficiently powerless when they did?

I might have bought this if it wasn't for this BS.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
Come on, don't patronise the Little Girl! I played with her on our last game!

Why didn't you say anything about The Dude, if The Bimbo rubs you the wrong way? Nothing wrong with The Geek either?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yoki Erdtman
Sweden
Södertälje
flag msg tools
badge
Handsome devil huh?
mbmbmbmbmb
They are just the typical stereotypes from the horror movies that Room 25 draws its inspiration from, and the same applies to the other roles in the game.

However, it should be noted that the movie The Cube from 1997 (clearly the game's primary inspiration) features two very strong female leads; Leaven the mathematician who figures out how the cube works, and Dr. Helen Holloway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Buchanan
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
It's not that I object to there being a bimbo. It's just that there are no 'good' options for women. For the men you can be the geek or the scientists. The dude (which isn't a negative term anyway) or the colossus.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yoki Erdtman
Sweden
Södertälje
flag msg tools
badge
Handsome devil huh?
mbmbmbmbmb
My daughter's would gladly play the Little Girl, and my older daughter (who is a huge horror movie fan) may even enjoy playing the Bimbo to the hilt (i.e. as a hysteric scream queen).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lochi Lochi
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JBgames wrote:
It's not that I object to there being a bimbo. It's just that there are no 'good' options for women. For the men you can be the geek or the scientists. The dude (which isn't a negative term anyway) or the colossus.

Does choosing a character over another make you play better? No. In that case, there's no point in this thread.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Samford
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JBgames wrote:
The dude (which isn't a negative term anyway)...

In the Big Lebowski, the Stranger said no one would call themselves "Dude" where he's from. Here is the original meaning of the word: From the 1870s to the 1960s, dude primarily meant a person who dressed in an extremely fashion-forward manner (a dandy) or a citified person who was visiting a rural location but stuck out (a city slicker).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Gordon
United States
Meridian
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
there are no 'good' options for women

Why is 'The Little Girl' not a good option?

edit: added quote
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick G.
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Does your religion have lightsabers? Nope? Didn't think so.
badge
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals." Agent K. Oh my what he would think of people had he known about what the internet would become.....
mbmbmbmbmb
kevster wrote:
Quote:

Because an under-the-bridge-dweller wants to be an under-the-bridge-dweller by using the guise of sexism.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T.W. McLain 3
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
corkysru wrote:
kevster wrote:
Quote:

Because an under-the-bridge-dweller wants to be an under-the-bridge-dweller by using the guise of sexism.

Bwahahahaha!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Monsen
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When the defining trait of an individual is their gender, that's sexism.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JBgames wrote:
It's just that there are no 'good' options for women. For the men you can be the geek or the scientists. The dude (which isn't a negative term anyway) or the colossus.

For the women you can also pick the Geek or the Scientist, the Dude or the Colossus. (Btw, is the no 'good' options for women your personal opinion?)

But really, who would not be happy with a fully working robotic arm?!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Buchanan
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
Oh great now I'm a troll. Sorry to offend you all. But I seriously would feel uncomfortable about bringing this to the table and I thought the publisher should be aware. I admit on closer inspection the robotic arm is pretty awesome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul W
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
FWIW, I had the same reaction on seeing the characters. It's not a deal breaker for me, but I did find the female character archetypes disappointing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yoki Erdtman
Sweden
Södertälje
flag msg tools
badge
Handsome devil huh?
mbmbmbmbmb
fizzmore wrote:
FWIW, I had the same reaction on seeing the characters. It's not a deal breaker for me, but I did find the female character archetypes disappointing.

To be fair, the male ones aren't so darn cool either. However, given that they have no individual powers it really doesn't matter, it's just a pawn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Monsen
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Other signs of sexism:
1) Attacking someone who raises the issue
2) Being dimissive of the issue as unimportant
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick G.
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals." Agent K. Oh my what he would think of people had he known about what the internet would become.....
mbmbmbmbmb
MunchWolf wrote:
Other signs of sexism:
1) Attacking someone who raises the issue
2) Being dimissive of the issue as unimportant

Aren't those accusations sort of like accusing someone that they always argue with you?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, I have to spell out some of my feelings.

There are enough people in the world (it is spreading outside of the US) who get offended for any little thing, so I would personally very much appreaciate, if people would only talk about how they feel and not try to fathom how someone else "must" feel. (Note: It seems to me the OP has only a mild case or a genuine concern about not offending anyone, whether it is justified in this case or not.)

Do you see the difference of:
"I'm not buying Room 25, because I think women will not play it. Women will certainly get offended by the character choice."
and
"I'm not buying Room 25, because my S.O. got very offended by having only stereotypical character to play."

What is the problem with the Little Girl? I think it is a fine character, at least I have not seen a character like the Little Girl in another game. Should little girls be disallowed? That would be -ist.

If you did not notice, the characters are used in pairs in the team mode: the Scientist and the Geek, the Dude and the Bimbo, the Colossus and the Little Girl.

If the Scientist had been a woman, we probably would not have this discussion. On the other hand, iIf the Colossus would've been a woman... whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Clarke
United Kingdom
Caithness
Scotland
flag msg tools

You think the names are bad? We didn't even get that far.

My grandfather took one look at the box and refused to play, point blank. Why was he being represented as the hapless, bald, spectacle-wearing boffin, and not the character leading the charge?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Highland Cow wrote:
Why was he being represented as the hapless, bald, ...

Who assigned him the scientist character?

Anyway, we played another 3 games tonight, and the two women in the group enjoyed themselves very much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Clarke
United Kingdom
Caithness
Scotland
flag msg tools

Thankfully, Grandad is much happier now, although somewhat embarrassed.

He accepts that making such a highly selective criticism for the sole purpose of announcing an ism, was an utterly ridiculous stance to take.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We played this game over the weekend, and were struck very much by this. Incredibly stupid 'name' choices.

Quote:
What is the problem with the Little Girl? I think it is a fine character, at least I have not seen a character like the Little Girl in another game. Should little girls be disallowed? That would be -ist.

Way to completely miss the point. The problem is not that the character is a 'little girl' (though the problem that games overwhelmingly portray female characters only if they are young and skinny while males can be portrayed in any possible age/body shape is another story), the problem is that the character is DEFINED by being a little girl.

If the character naming convention called the scientist 'Old Bald Dude' and the colossus 'Big Black Guy' (-sarcasm- because I'm sure NOBODY would have a problem with that -/sarcasm), then 'Little Girl' would fit in just fine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick G.
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
StormKnight wrote:
We played this game over the weekend, and were struck very much by this. Incredibly stupid 'name' choices.

Quote:

Way to completely miss the point. The problem is not that the character is a 'little girl' (though the problem that games overwhelmingly portray female characters only if they are young and skinny while males can be portrayed in any possible age/body shape is another story), the problem is that the character is DEFINED by being a little girl.

If the character naming convention called the scientist 'Old Bald Dude' and the colossus 'Big Black Guy' (-sarcasm- because I'm sure NOBODY would have a problem with that -/sarcasm), then 'Little Girl' would fit in just fine.

How does little girl compage to bit black guy?
One of those defines a race... the other does not.

And honestly.. I would have no problem with "old bald dude" in a game with little girl. But I think Crotchety Old Man would be far more entertaining of a name.

But then that would probably offend someone else. And then they would whine about that.

And as said earlier.... The dude doesn't bother you? What about the geek?
Why do you focus on the little girl???? Creepy if you ask me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

Because they are both really stupid descriptions that focus on defining the character entirely by physical traits. Furthermore, in both of these cases, they are examples, where large groups of people have been regularly stereotyped to an extreme degree simply by belonging to that group.

Quote:
And honestly.. I would have no problem with "old bald dude" in a game with little girl. But I think Crotchety Old Man would be far more entertaining of a name.

Oh, sure. And if ALL the characters were named like that, hey, it's all good.

Quote:

Why exactly should a "dude" or a "geek" bother me?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick G.
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
StormKnight wrote:
Quote:

Because they are both really stupid descriptions that focus on defining the character entirely by physical traits. Furthermore, in both of these cases, they are examples, where large groups of people have been regularly stereotyped to an extreme degree simply by belonging to that group.

Yes but one deals explicitly with race the other does not.

StormKnight wrote:

Quote:

Oh, sure. And if ALL the characters were named like that, hey, it's all good.

Quote:

Why exactly should a "dude" or a "geek" bother me?

They are MORE stereotypical than "little girl".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.