Popular Tags: [View All]
Jessica
United States
Westfield
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd like to order some new games in the next week or so and I'm having trouble narrowing down my list. If anybody wants to help me, I'd appreciate it. Tell me your opinion on why or why not I should pursue a particular game.

Here's a little information:

- # of players: Easily 4, fairly often 5, and 6 on occasion

- Likes of the group: Puerto Rico, Princes of Florence, Power Grid, Frank's Zoo, Traders of Genoa, Poison, Fairy Tale

- Dislikes: Circus Flohcati (stong dislike among us all - we felt there weren't too many decisions to be made) & Primordial Soup (seemed kind of long and repetitive, but we still need a few more plays to decide)

Games I am considering:

Santiago
Hey! That's My Fish!
Maharaja: Palace Building in India
Mesopotamia
Oltremare - Merchants of Venice
Louis XIV
Palazzo
Tower of Babel
Hacienda
Ys
Reef Encounter
San Juan
China
Boomtown
Vegas Showdown

Questions:

I have one person in my group that doesn't enjoy Puerto Rico. Is there anybody out there that likes San Juan, but doesn't enjoy Puerto Rico?

I've read that Oltremare is a heavier version of Bohnanza. How similar are they? I liked Bohnanza quite a bit the first few plays, but it started to get old quickly. I felt there were very few choices to be made. It has been a while since I've played it though so it might be time to pull it out again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Glassco
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
After three playings of each, I enjoy San Juan but do not enjoy Puerto Rico.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott B
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Santiago - yes!

Maharaja - another good choice, I think.

Mesopotamia - assuming you mean the new, Klaus-Jurgen Wrede game, it doesn't play more than 4. Otherwise, a good choice.

Louis - your group may like it - I'm not crazy about it, but I can see why some people are. Up to 4 players only.

Palazzo - kind of Knizia lite, Alhambra-esque. Keep that in mind for your group; also, up to 4 players only.

Tower of Babel - I like it, but it is another Knizia lite game. And this one actually plays more than 4 - up to 5.

Hacienda - I'm looking forward to playing it. 2 to 5 players.

Ys - go for it.

Reef Encounter - another score.

San Juan - naturally, but it plays only 4 or fewer. I'm not crazy about it 2 player...

The rest I can't speak about, though Boomtown is a bit lite and random-y.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott A. Reed
United States
Lawrence
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Santiago -- Good, but tops out at five. If your group is always at least four, then that should work fine. The first time I played with three, we made an error in the rules, so I can't say whether I like it with three or not.

Oltremare
- Merchants of Venice -- I've only played this with three, so I don't know how the greater numbers add to the game. I do like it quite a bit with three, though.

San Juan
- Tops out at four, and I do like it with two.

Boomtown - I like this one with a larger group, though I believe it tops out at five. Quick, light, and semi-chaotic, but a good bit of fun.

Vegas Showdown - I've only played this once, and then with five, and apparently it has a bit of a different dynamic with more players -- stuff gets bought up much more quickly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maitreya wrote:
Santiago
Hey! That's My Fish!
Maharaja: Palace Building in India
Oltremare - Merchants of Venice
Tower of Babel
Ys
San Juan
China

I can vouch for all of the above.

Reef Encounter is a solid game, but left me uninterested.

Oltremare shares two mechanics with Bonanaza: set collection of "goods", and trading of goods with other players in order to make your sets larger. However, overlayed (literally) with that are the icons on the cards (the same cards with the goods) that let you collect income, activate pirates, draw cards, and move your ship. Everything factors back into everything else. I would encourage you to at least read the rules here (when the file /image server is back up) before dismissing this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Nachtrab
United States
St. Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would definitely consider Santiago and Maharaja. Both are great 4-5 player games, both offer interesting gameplay and lots of choices. Our games of Maharaja so far have been fascinating. With more players it can be a bit chaotic, but so far I haven't minded.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.