Thomas Box
United Kingdom
Oxford
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In this weekend's game we had a situation where an investigator had just been arrested in Innsmouth and sent to the jail cell and became delayed. Then in the Mythos phase the hound moved and jumped on her. We ruled that the cell was an actual location and she was the nearest investigator to the hound. But as she was delayed, the combat with the hound took place on the following turn.
I suspect we were playing this wrong. Is the cell a location for the purposes of the hound?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Forster
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't think of anything more horrifying than being thrown in jail and then having an extra-dimensional stalker come out of the wall and attack you. No way to escape. Maybe you can hide from it, but it's going to stay there, searching for you, until the guard comes. And then -- maybe -- you'll be able to make a run for it while it eats the guard.

Just for theme, I say that was the right way to play it. Not sure what the actual rules are.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Goch
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Andus wrote:
In this weekend's game we had a situation where an investigator had just been arrested in Innsmouth and sent to the jail cell and became delayed. Then in the Mythos phase the hound moved and jumped on her. We ruled that the cell was an actual location and she was the nearest investigator to the hound. But as she was delayed, the combat with the hound took place on the following turn.
I suspect we were playing this wrong. Is the cell a location for the purposes of the hound?

Yep, the Jail is a valid location in Innsmouth or in Arkham. The Hound's token specifies only the Hospital or Asylum are off limits and since Arkham's jail isn't off limits I don't see why Innsmouth's would be.

Combat would occur during the upcoming movement phase as per usual.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Wojciechowski
United States
Aurora
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Andus wrote:

I think you played it the way I would have considered correct, but perhaps for the wrong reason. I bolded the part that I question. The Hound would have gone to the jail cell in some phase other than the Movement phase. Normally combat occurs during the Movement phase (and ends the Movement phase), the combat would have occured during the Movement phase of the next turn. I don't see that being delayed has anything to do with it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Mc Cabe
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
There are those who look at things the way they are and ask why . . . I dream of things that never were and ask why not
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree that combat would occur during the movement phase. I can see why you would question it, though. The rules state that a delayed investigator stands up and nothing else.

Of course, the rules also state that if an investigator ends his/her movement in the same location as a monster, s/he must fight or evade. I would go with fight or evade, since the monster is right there, looking for you.

A lucky closed gate could give the investigator a reprieve or waiting a turn could give an investigator a chance to intervene, and I don't think the delayed rules were meant to create a loophole.

Brian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Box
United Kingdom
Oxford
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks to Brian and everyone else who replied. Things are much clearer in my mind now. I agree that the delayed rules aren't meant to be a loophole.

We will make sure we play it like that from now on, should we be so unfortunate again.

Tom
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Schneider
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mb
Quote:

I'm afraid I must disagree in that I feel the Jail Cell is not a location one can move to and therefore neither can the Hound. The cell itself exists only as a place to hold arrested investigators and the encounters on the cards for the Cell exist only to resolve escape attempts. It is not a true location in the AE sense of the word.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jackman51 wrote:
Quote:

I'm afraid I must disagree in that I feel the Jail Cell is not a location one can move to and therefore neither can the Hound. The cell itself exists only as a place to hold arrested investigators and the encounters on the cards for the Cell exist only to resolve escape attempts. It is not a true location in the AE sense of the word.
The Hound is not constrained by the rules of Euclidean geometry when it moves so whether an Investigator can walk into the cell or not either in game movement terms or real-life equivalent terms is moot. The Hound is only prevented from moving to the Hospital and the Asylum as a fix for some very nasty infinite loop problems that would otherwise occur - so it has no real-life equivalence justification, its a game rules fix up.

Bottom line: you cannot hide from the Hound.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.