Popular Tags: [View All]
Joe Berger
United Kingdom
Bristol
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a big Feld fan, I have Bora Bora and Castles of Burgundy, but both of those take a long time to play - with four players, we find them clocking in at 2 - 2.5hrs. Is Trajan comparible in terms of length? Or is it (oh please oh please oh please) shorter?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd say a 4p game with experienced gamers shouldn't exceed 2 hours.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmbmbmb
arnodestang wrote:
I'm a big Feld fan, I have Bora Bora and Castles of Burgundy, but both of those take a long time to play - with four players, we find them clocking in at 2 - 2.5hrs. Is Trajan comparible in terms of length? Or is it (oh please oh please oh please) shorter?
You're starting to realize why most Feld games are listed as "best with 2"...most of his heavier games are estimated to be 30min per player, so you can play a 2p game at an hour, and a 4p game at 2. I find 2 hours for Castles of Burgundy to far too long, given the minimal player interaction, so only play it at 2. Most people feel the same way about Trajan, and to a lesser extent, Bora Bora.

In any case, Trajan is a very comparable length to CoB and BB, so ... well ... buy it, then split off into two 2p games..?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Gottesman
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've finished a 2 player game of Trajan in 45 minutes. Add another 10-15 minutes for set-up (there are a bunch of bits) and its still less than an hour. And this was with a player who had never played it before.

Even with 4, it rarely takes more than 2 hours.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
senorcoo wrote:

Me either. But then again I would say that CoB shouldn't take 2.5 hours. So if they are taking that long on CoB it's almost guaranteed they'll take longer on Trajan.

Both games list the playing time in their BGG entries as 90 minutes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Berger
United Kingdom
Bristol
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thunkd wrote:
senorcoo wrote:

Me either. But then again I would say that CoB shouldn't take 2.5 hours. So if they are taking that long on CoB it's almost guaranteed they'll take longer on Trajan.

Both games list the playing time in their BGG entries as 90 minutes.

Yes, that length for CoB is 'our speed', so it's all relative.
Thanks for all the replies - I still have to get it I think. :)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
david landes
United States
oak hill
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Your answers will vary dramatically as to how long this takes based on the game group and players involved. Trajan is very comparable in length to Castles of Burgundy.. whatever your length is, and has a siumilar multitude of somewhat equal ways to score points.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olav Fakkeldij
Netherlands
Beverwijk
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For me Trajan seems to be the fastest of these games.
According to the amount of actions CoB 4-player doubles the playing time of CoB 2-player. That's not the case with Trajan and Bora Bora. 2-player of Trajan and CoB both take us 40-50 minutes. Bora Bora takes us 60-70 minutes.
I've only played a few 4-player games of these games, always with at least 2 new players. Playing time:
CoB 2.5-3.5 hours
Trajan 1.5-2.25 hours
Bora Bora 2.5-3.0 hours
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fernando Robert Yu
Philippines
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For our games which are 3-4P, it ranges from 75-90 minutes, not including setup...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrei Ivanesei
Romania
Bucuresti
flag msg tools
I should buy less games
badge
Stop looking at my avatar!
mbmbmbmbmb
For me 2p is about 45min, 4p is 90min.
The first few games were about 30min longer though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K S
United States
Roseville
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Had our first go at Trajan last night. 4 of us and all brand new to the game. I was surprised how everyone picked it up instantly and we rarely had any bouts of bad AP. The longest elements was me double checking what got cleared and reset in between years. Overall actual gameplay time for 4 of us new to it was only about 2 hours 15 min. I was really worried it was going to be a 3+ hour venture.

This is my first Feld game, I assume if you like others you should buy this. I plan on recommending it to everyone I know.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
joker9991 wrote:
This is my first Feld game, I assume if you like others you should buy this.
Yes indeedy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Lampinen
Finland
Espoo
none
flag msg tools
(and a hermit)
badge
Fan of FUN games!
mbmbmb
Mancala can lead to some very tasty AP though, if you're playing with someone who really loves to optimize. yuk

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.