Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Carl Garber
Canada
Vauxhall
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi there! I am just about to pull the trigger on buying this game but thought I would get some responses here first! My goal for any game is that it will be played 50 times. Does Thebes have that kind of rep lability? Why or why not? Some games have replayability due to different strategies to explore(like Settlers) while others are replayable because they have a tactical component that keeps things interesting(Like Alhambra in which you find yourself tryin to figure out how best to do walls and who to race in the different colors). I have found some games feel flat for me because the don't have enough strategic angles to explore(TTR) and the tactics feel samey(In TTR I feel there are some routes that are dominant so you are always performing the same couple of optimum routes). Just so you know, I don't find this problem in TTR: Europe or Marklin(indeed Marklin has a whole other strategic route and is one of my fave games).

So where does Thebes fit in all this? From what I have shared is this a game I should buy?

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thebes is one of the top favorites of our game group. We never seem to get tired of it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew MacLeod
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
And when, exactly, are we playing Churchill again?
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd say the re-playability level is about the same as Alhambra, and better than any of the TtR's. There's an equal amount of strategy, tactics, and luck in Thebes: you can't win if you're lacking in any of those three (and be warned: that includes luck!). The strategies are basically an excavation strategy, a congress-grabbing strategy, and a knowledge strategy. You usually use a combination of two of those strategies. With regards to the knowledge and the excavations, you also need to decide (early) whether you're going to be a generalist (and send dirt flying everywhere), or focus on just two archaeological areas.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Tierney
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If I was to track the games my family has played the most over the last 5 years, it would probably be
Frank's Zoo
Thebes
Dominion
7 Wonders
Key Largo
Railways of the World Card Game
TTR:Europe
Starfarers of Catan
Alhambra

Thebes is a great mix of set collection and time management. It has a high luck element that can be mitigated by preparation, but not eliminated. Player interaction is strong, but it is indirect. Game length is just about perfect (at least for 4 players) where you always have something more to do and are not getting bored by the end. Plus, you control how many turns you will have -- which makes it different from all the other games you mentioned. A classic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Judd
United States
Wright City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Thebes is one of my favorite games just because it is so much fun to "dig" for artifacts with the randomness factor resulting in possibly a handful of mostly dirt or a nice mix of some really nice artifacts. As I've started getting deeper into Euros (Agricola, Puerto Rico), Thebes has started to slip down my Top 10 list. But it is still fun to break out occasionally for the fun factor and to give everyone both experienced and inexperienced a decent chance to win.

It feels very light in terms of strategy and tactics and the luck factor does play a fairly large role. Just glancing at your collection, I would guess that Thebes would probably not quite fit in due to the lack of depth in strategies/tactics. But if you are just looking for a game that is fun and don't mind that lack of depth, by all means go for it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Roskam
United States
Birmingham
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Your good. Go ahead and pull the trigger.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Garber
Canada
Vauxhall
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks all for your input! I will indeed pull the trigger and get this game! If you guys are curious to see how it worked out for me you can subscribe to this thread and I will report back my thoughts after I play it a bit.

Mark: That is exactly what I am looking for, but I still want there to be some interesting decisions as I am having my light fun(Much like I experience with RA or King of Tokyo). I have plenty of deeper games if I feel the need. I am looking for more variety on the lighter end
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler DeLisle
United States
Richardson
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CarlG wrote:
Thanks all for your input! I will indeed pull the trigger and get this game! If you guys are curious to see how it worked out for me you can subscribe to this thread and I will report back my thoughts after I play it a bit.

Mark: That is exactly what I am looking for, but I still want there to be some interesting decisions as I am having my light fun(Much like I experience with RA or King of Tokyo). I have plenty of deeper games if I feel the need. I am looking for more variety on the lighter end

Report back! People always forget to.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Garber
Canada
Vauxhall
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
haha, so true! thanks for the reminder! I have played Thebes 9 times and still quite enjoy it! From those plays I think it easily has the replayability of a TTR or Alhambra. There is definitely a strong luck component to the game, but that has to be expected! Some people have struggled with the luck of the draws, but then those same people see that there is strategy there as well. Most have simply come to accept it as a game in which you can make meaningful choices which will help you win but that also has a significant luck aspect that can help determine the winner as well. It has been neat to see different strategies win thus far. It's not just who draws the best out of the bag, or who gets the most congress cards come up when it is their turn. All the scoring aspects come into play. The scoring majorities for each color are also quite crucial(especially in the lower play counts). It is also neat to see how different number of players affects the different values of particular cards.

Wow! that was a lot of blah blah I would say that everyone that I have played this with so far has enjoyed the game and would want to try it again sometime. I would also say that no one absolutely fell in love with it either. Probably a fairly similar response to TTR and Alhambra with those I play with.

It has been exactly what I expected it to be. It will easily be picked as often as TTR and Alhambra while giving a completely different feel. I would easily recommend this game to anyone who enjoys those other two(however, this game is more prone to bad first game turn-off than the others if someone gets bad bag draws).

The time element(whoever is last goes first) was seen as the most interesting part of the game for quite a few folks.

Edit: Wherever I write TTR I am referring to the Marklin version.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler DeLisle
United States
Richardson
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the quick reply! I think I'm going to pick this up real soon, it looks like it's starting to get scarce, and I certainly don't have anything similar in my collection.

I've been looking for a sort of Indiana Jones feeling, adventure, treasure-hunting game. Not sure if this is exactly that, but certainly seems to have a treasure hunting feel.

I mostly need light games at the moment as I continue trying to suck other people into the board-gaming world. I'm a bit discouraged by the recommended 3-4 player count though. Most my gaming is with 2 or 5-6 players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Garber
Canada
Vauxhall
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
that's a tough range for you! I think I have played Thebes 3 times as a 2p and enjoyed it quite a bit! I didn't feel like the experience suffered at all(except that I always enjoy games better with 3 or 4 simply for the human interaction).

For the 5-6 player count I also got 7 Wonders which most people seem to like and some people love!(my bro-in-law for one). Also KoT is pretty good 5-6 players although it is a bit more fiddly with the two spots in Tokyo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
LUCEOID
Scotland
Glasgow
flag msg tools
Indiana Jones styled light treasure hunting game? My group has just got The Adventurers: Temple of Chac, and we're loving it. You get chased by a boulder whilst raiding a long lost temple. The physicality and beauty of it is a real winner.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.