Steven Packard
United States
Palmdale
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm sorry if this is an often-asked question. However, I wasn't able to locate it by searching the Forums area.

I like being able to log when I've played a game on this site. However, like probably everyone else, my playing time is MUCH shorter than I want it to be, and it's not unusual for me to set up a game and only be able to play it for 30 or 60 minutes at a time. The result is that it remains set up for a few days or more with the game in progress.

So when I've finished, I've played just 1 game, but maybe it's taken four 30-minute sessions to do so.

For that game in the "I Played This Game On ..." area, should I log each date that I played? Or only the date that I finished it? (In the example given, would I log it once, or 4 times for the single game I played?)

Thanks for your help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nasty McHaggis
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
I'm pouring all of my points in sarcasm.
badge
Box next to hand.
mbmbmbmbmb
Ultimately up to you.

As for me, I would log it on the day the game was completed as one play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Piet Skjæveland
Norway
Tananger
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I also would log it only once, but I understand your problem. I just recently started logging my games (started 01.01.06) and I am having a couple of defenition problems like yours. After all it's a big difference between playing a 30-min game of Sequence and playing an 18xx game for 12 hours. But they are both just one play of the game, even tho you played the 18xx game in 3 sessions.

My problem is when you end a game before its really over. If you set a time limit to a long game or play a shoter version of it, I still would count it as I played it. But when you start a game and play a bit, but then more players arrive and you start something else instead, should I count it or not? My defenition have been: When the game ends early and it was planned or agreed by all and you get a winner, then it counts. But if it ends suddenly or if I dont feel like it was a "real" game then I dont count it.

But the statistics is mostly for your own pleasure. If you would like to see what days you played a game (even tho if it was only part of a game) then record it. Do as you like, nobody can stop you anyway =)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Millersville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The system can handle fractions of numbers, but I'm not exactly sure how it would display that.

I know this because in another thread, I learned that I can record the expansions I use with out affecting the number of games it looks like I've played by inputing 0.01 on the day I played with that expansion.

So you may want to try putting .33 .33 and .33 on the three days you played. I'm not sure what it would do, but it would be easy enough to delete if you aren't happy with the results.

The other option would be put put the 0.01 on the first two days, so that it is shown on your playing calendar but doesn't artificially inflate your games played number.

I have had this situation occure once my self with a game of War of the Ring. I started it one Saturday and didn't get to finish it until a couple of Saturday's latter. I decided to record it twice because it felt like playing two games to me, and I hadn't thought of doing what I mentioned above until now.

Maybe I'll go back and adjust my calendar/games played to more accurately reflect the truth.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Packard
United States
Palmdale
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks to both Ken and Piet. The way you two described using the feature is exactly how I've been doing it, but I started to wonder if I was out of step with the rest of the BGG world.

I know it's just a tool for me to use, so I can use it anyway I want to. Even so, I wanted to do it the "right" way. Tracking each game, rather than each session, makes sense.

And I agree with Piet's guideline: A game that ends prematurely, but by design should count as a game played. Whereas a game that just fizzles out with no real resolution isn't a "game played."

Thanks again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Packard
United States
Palmdale
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tish's suggestion about fractional plays is an interesting angle that I didn't think of. I might fiddle with that to see how it behaves.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Millersville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
WhiteKnight85 wrote:
Tish's suggestion about fractional plays is an interesting angle that I didn't think of. I might fiddle with that to see how it behaves.

Let me know... since all I've done is the 0.01 which shows a zero but does show.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronster Zero
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This was talked about a few months back. Hopefully this will help.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist.php3?action=view&listi...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Millersville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice list...

That did remind me of a delema I had when playing Uno one night. Technically the rules say you play until one player reachs 500 and that is a game. But that particular night we weren't playing the points we just played 3 rounds and didn't keep score.

I decided to count that as 3 different games since the winner for each hand was a separate event.

On another night we did play with the points and played 2 games. This time I only counted it as 2 games even though we played many more hands than that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Piet Skjæveland
Norway
Tananger
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I also like the fraction idea.
Thanx, will try it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Piet Skjæveland
Norway
Tananger
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This also reminds me of Zendo. The game could go on forever and can last only a few mins. A round in Zendo isnt a game in itself so I only record a "sitting" of Zendo as a game. It could be 20 rounds or just 1. Should I rather record each round as a game played?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Millersville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lord_Piet wrote:
This also reminds me of Zendo. The game could go on forever and can last only a few mins. A round in Zendo isnt a game in itself so I only record a "sitting" of Zendo as a game. It could be 20 rounds or just 1. Should I rather record each round as a game played?

Well, I look at it like my uno example.... when did you declair a winner?

If you only declare a winner after 20 rounds then you only played one game. If you have a winner after ever round then you have 20 games.

That is why one night I recorded 3 games of uno.. because we weren't keeping score there was a winner declared after each hand. But then the next time we played we did play to 500 (well actuall we pre-agreed to only play to 250pts.) so that counted as one game even though I think we played 7 or more rounds.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Packard
United States
Palmdale
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's a good list, Ron. I didn't think to search in the Geeklists for a prior discussion of this topic....

I agree with the concept of when a winner is determined is when a game has been played. If it's the best 2 out of 3, then one game has been played in that set. If it's each hand produces a winner, then several games have been played. If playing several hands to a certain points value, than one game.

From this discussion, it seems that treating "a winner is determined" = "1 game played" results in most of the other questions about tracking this statistic being automatically answered.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.