Popular Tags: [View All]
Garrett Potvin
United States
Brooklyn Park
MN
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I know that Richard Borg has a Revolutionary War game ready for production,now if only a game company will produce the game.

I own and love Memoir'44 (plus all expansions) and Battle Cry and would pick the Revolutionary War game up in a second as long it is done with plastic mini's. So GMT (as long as you do it with mini's, nice job with the Ancients game by the way)Fantasy Flight, Avalon Hill, Eagle Games or Days of Wonder let's get this baby into production.

I think we should start a pledge/pre-order drive on BGG.

You can count me as a Pre-Order, who else is with me?

Order 1. Garrett Potvin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There's already a C&C-like game from Worthington called "Clash for a Continent". It uses dice to determine the number of activated units rather than cards, but it's very similar.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garrett Potvin
United States
Brooklyn Park
MN
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I know of this game and it may be similar but it is very different as well. (1) Action point as opposed to card movement.
(2) Blocks as opposed to Mini's
(3) Not a Richard Borg Game
(4) Component quality not up to Battle Cry and M'44 standards.

This is an appeal/drive to have one of the game companies mentioned pick up this game and bring it into production.

Pre-Order commitments still at 1.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Jentoft
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
I have a cunning plan.
mbmbmbmbmb
I also love Memoir '44, Battlecry and Commands and Colors: Ancients.

I would definitely pre-order this.

Let's get this made!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Kendall
United States
Lebanon
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Richard does indeed have an AWI game searching for a publisher. In a chat about the system and its period incarnations he told me that in the AWI game, different quality units have different retreat distances (militia scooted three, for example). The "support" rule from C&C:A was apparently also in use, reflecting the linear tactics of the time. Don't know how these might have evolved since that conversation.

Richard also has a U.S. - Mexican War game baked and ready to go. I'd love to see that one as it features two very different sides--mass and Napoleonic tactics vs. smaller armies with greater flexibility and initiative and highly mobile field artillery. Given the narrow field of focus, it's difficult to imagine this one seeing the light of day, but perhaps GMT will take the chance.

At Historicon conventions for the past couple of years Richard has also been demoing a Napoleonic version (using painted 25mm units on large hexes). Game features different types of cavalry, line, light and elite infantry, and, if I remember correctly, two weights of artillery (could be wrong there). Interesting rule for forming square--forming is automatically successful, but your opponent takes a card from your hand (blindly) and it is placed, inverted, under the unit in square. So forming square can have an adverse effect on your plans for coming turns and such an act must be done judiciously.

Not sure I like that square rule--forming square when charged was far from automatic, ask the 42nd at Quatre Bras--but the players seem to love the Napoleonic version.

I read something a week or two ago somewhere that indicated some European publisher or other will be bringing a new Napoleonic game out this year (2006) and got the impression it includes miniatures. No further details available--it could be strategic, for all I know--but I do know that Richard has shown the Napoleonic version to European publishers. It would be wonderful to see someone pick up the banner and bring some of these C&C versions to the gaming public.

One more thing, Worthington Games' "Clash for a Continent" is a very enjoyable game in its own right. Graphically it seems very derivative from the C&C system games, but the action point system provides a different play experience. I think the system really shines in scenarios with Woodland Indians and also with open-field battles such as Germantown. Not so exciting with improved positions.

Imho, "Clash" is wonderfully improved by using the nice new tricorne-era RISK figures to represent units in place of the blocks, but it's a matter of taste. I also use the "Memoir '44" board in place of the rather thin and "bouncy" plasticized card board that comes with "Clash," because the figures stay put. I do enjoy "Clash" very much and don't consider it a rip-off of C&C, just another form of quick-and-easy wargame with period flavor.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Kendall
United States
Lebanon
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Ach, dadburn memory. I'll preorder, too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.