Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tom Chappelear
United States
Kensington
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
At Endgame's wonderful auction last weekend, I snap bid on Martin Wallace's Aeroplanes; Aviation Ascendant, since my 7-year old is airplane-crazy and loves boardgames. It seems I made the classic mistake of confusing Alan Moon and Martin Wallace, who are functionally equivalent boardgame designers, I believe.

Having played both Brass and Ticket to Ride recently, you can see how I got confused.

shake

So... anyone want to trade my Aeroplanes for Airlines Europe? I promise you'll hardly notice the difference. Oh, except that the Wallace game, of course, is much more of a random dice-fest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Maybe. I much prefer Wallace to Moon and would probably rather have Aeroplanes than Airlines (as UP is a much better game). But I would need to check with the wife you will be the opposite of me in this regard.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael J
United States
Folsom
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Unfortunately, you outbid me for a copy of Aeroplanes at the auction, and I no longer have a copy of Airlines Europe to trade to you. But as far as Moon and Wallace being italicized as functionally-equivalent, I could not agree less. While both designers' games are often geographically themed, and both have made train and plane games, Moon's games are almost always based on a set-collection, card-drafting mechanic, and Wallace's games are almost always heavy economic simulations with debt as a core mechanic. I enjoy both designers' games, but I find Wallace's games more up to the task when looking for a deeper experience. Good luck finding Airlines Europe!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Raciborski
United States
Newport News
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tomchaps wrote:
At Endgame's wonderful auction last weekend, I snap bid on Martin Wallace's Aeroplanes; Aviation Ascendant, since my 7-year old is airplane-crazy and loves boardgames. It seems I made the classic mistake of confusing Alan Moon and Martin Wallace, who are functionally equivalent boardgame designers, I believe.

Having played both Brass and Ticket to Ride recently, you can see how I got confused.

shake

So... anyone want to trade my Aeroplanes for Airlines Europe? I promise you'll hardly notice the difference. Oh, except that the Wallace game, of course, is much more of a random dice-fest.

Doesn't Martin Wallace have a dog he named Alan Moon?

http://tinyurl.com/bot4co7

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Raciborski
United States
Newport News
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tomchaps wrote:
.....Alan Moon and Martin Wallace, who are functionally equivalent boardgame designers, I believe..

Gee, I thought that was a tongue in cheek remark by the poster, a light hearted humorous way to unload the game, maybe not.

Not sure a 7 year old would enjoy any Wallace games, Moon yes, Wallace no. A lot of Wallace stuff is an acquired taste.

That beening said I once purchased a video thinking it was the book on EBay, both items use the exact image and some of the books come with a video. Does not pay to be looking at an auction on a mobile device, it is about to end, and the wife tells you to get a move on, she is ready to go.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael J
United States
Folsom
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
danamark wrote:
Gee, I thought that was a tongue in cheek remark by the poster, a light hearted humorous way to unload the game, maybe not.

You're probably right. Reading it again, it does sound a little more humorous. Darn the internet for not telling me what emotion was indicated when the sentence was written!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Chappelear
United States
Kensington
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
mjacobsca wrote:
danamark wrote:

You're probably right. Reading it again, it does sound a little more humorous. Darn the internet for not telling me what emotion was indicated when the sentence was written!

I just figured you were still mad at me for outbidding you.

I'm pretty sure, actually, that my son would enjoy Aeroplanes. He's certainly played more rules-heavy exception-laden games before. (He spent a couple of hours cuddled up with the rule book to Dungeon Lords this weekend, another Endgame purchase). A bigger problem is that you can't play it with only 2 players, frankly.

Also, I thought it was kind of funny that two thematically-close games by two such different designers would have Wallace's be the "dice-fest".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael J
United States
Folsom
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played Aeroplanes, so I don't know if it is a dice-fest or a tight-economic-Euro that uses dice, but I'm looking forward to trying it some day.

Quote:
I just figured you were still mad at me for outbidding you.

I am. I dropped out of both auctions for the two copies just before they were sold, so that means one extra bidder cost me the game. Your fault. Definitely.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.