Subject: FORTY TWO DOLLAR IMPORT CHARGE TO CANADA rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeff Burgess
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
...all because Golden Egg Games sent it UPS, instead of USPS. My wife just emailed me to let me know a package just arrived by UPS and I'm pretty sure it's Fallen City of Karez. We don't have any other packages due to arrive and I've learned not to ship this way.

It has $42 import charge from crossing the border. All of this could have been avoided had this been shipped USPS instead.

I am royally pissed off right now. I'll be contacting GEG.

Edit2: I went back to look - The game was billed at $49 + $5 to ship to Canada. Now instead of being the $54 I signed on for, apparently it will be $96. I'm furious.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
^...^ ALIEN ^...^
United States
Mcqueeney
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: FORTY TWO DOLLAR IMPORT CHARGE
Wow! That sucks. That's almost as much as the game itself. shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Burgess
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Re: FORTY TWO DOLLAR IMPORT CHARGE
Seththedog wrote:
Wow! That sucks. That's almost as much as the game itself. shake

Once you include that GEG charged a Canadian surcharge - yeah, pretty much. $49 for the game, $47 in total shipping costs. I'm livid.

I fully expect GEG to compensate people for this. Simply using USPS would have made this a complete non-issue. It is their mistake for using UPS.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I could get it for around $59.95 when our supplier has them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Burgess
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
My wife provided a mini update. I can't hold about $10 of this against GEG - that's taxes from crossing the border. Sometimes Canada Customs does it, other times no. That's still odd as a $10 charge means customs thought the package was an $80 value or so, hopefully that isn't what GEG put on the form.

Still, at least $32 of this is purely due to using UPS.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Burgess
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
kaylex wrote:
I could get it for around $59.95 when our supplier has them.

You cheeky git.

(Backstory for readers: Paul runs Fungamescafe.com a pretty awesome store that is way, way too close to my house. He e-stalks me here to give me a hard time, I give him a hard time by introducing him as "My dealer" to people)

Yeah, the $54 I paid on KS was a decent deal. The boneheaded method of shipping it is what kills this for me. Honestly, I have near zero interest in actually playing this right now as I'm quite sour on this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew of Seaforth
Canada
Seaforth
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Aye apparently mine arrived today as well. Box damaged (no idea about the contents yet) and a $42.88 charge for delivery. Fun stuff and the end of kickstarter for me (was already the end given the increases in shipping but this is another nail in the coffin).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Barbeau
Canada
Quebec, Qc
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Yep... same situation for me...
50$ for shipping and no Guild extension inside the box. At least, the game box was not damaged. And for the extension, I believe it will come later by the mail.... PLEASE NO EXTRA CHARGE! PLEEAASE!

I'm starting to fear for my others kickstarter projects... How much money will I have to give again?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joël Simard
Canada
Montréal
Québec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Same thing, 44,82$ for import (Montréal). I am not happy about this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hugues Lessard
msg tools
mbmb
Same story here, around 45$ for import fees. Someone has some news from GEG on this issue?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Burgess
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hlessard wrote:
Same story here, around 45$ for import fees. Someone has some news from GEG on this issue?

I haven't heard a thing back and I've:

1) Posted here
2) Commented on the KS page
3) Geekmailed him
4) Messaged him on KS

No reply yet, but I'll give him some time to think about it.

I'm angry enough as it is, but if the missing promos are ALSO shipped UPS and we're expected to pay again....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joël Simard
Canada
Montréal
Québec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Golden Egg post a reply on the Kickstarter page (comments section).

Quote:
We do not know why UPS charge this charges. We are investigating this issues and we will post their reply and how we can deal with this outrageous import fees (we declared them as a 10$ value!!!)

I hope that this issue will be resolve soon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pat Gagnon
Canada
Halifax
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in Halifax and haven't received mine yet but now I'm dreading it. Here's an e-mail I sent to Elad way back when the KS was still ongoing. I guess someone goofed big time along the way.

Quote:
Golden Egg Games
Sunday Oct 7 2012, 4:26am ADT
Pat,

I get your concern about shipping. My base shipping method to Canada is with USPS.
So no extra fees will be added to your cross border shipment.

Hope this address you concerns,

Elad
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Burgess
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Gavroche wrote:
Golden Egg post a reply on the Kickstarter page (comments section).

Quote:
We do not know why UPS charge this charges. We are investigating this issues and we will post their reply and how we can deal with this outrageous import fees (we declared them as a 10$ value!!!)

I hope that this issue will be resolve soon.

There's two issues here:
1) The packing slip it was declared as a $70 USD value. this affects how much tax is charged. This is a minor part of the cost as it only affects the tax paid (total $10)
2) All couriers charge brokerage fees, which is why using UPS/FedEx and not USPS is a horrible idea. I don't believe the brokerage fee depends on the value of the package significantly. It's just the fee UPS/FedEx charges.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Burgess
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
patgagnon wrote:
I'm in Halifax and haven't received mine yet but now I'm dreading it. Here's an e-mail I sent to Elad way back when the KS was still ongoing. I guess someone goofed big time along the way.

Quote:
Golden Egg Games
Sunday Oct 7 2012, 4:26am ADT
Pat,

I get your concern about shipping. My base shipping method to Canada is with USPS.
So no extra fees will be added to your cross border shipment.

Hope this address you concerns,

Elad

Pat, thank you so much for posting this. I have no intention of letting Elad off the hook on this one.

This is his mistake and he needs to own the consequences of this. I expect a reimbursement of the customs charges.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob LeGood
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ughh... My should be arriving any day now. Not looking forward to paying the extra fee.

Elad WILL be paying our shipping fees as it was HIS choice not to use USPS.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Burgess
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Zithal wrote:

Elad WILL be paying our shipping fees as it was HIS choice not to use USPS.

My thoughts exactly. We didn't ask for this nor were we forewarned on this. It's his responsibility to own up to it and correct the financial damage he has caused.

I'm willing to accept that any taxes/HST/fees charged by Canada customs are not his responsibility, but the majority of this is due to the brokerage fees from using UPS.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Barbeau
Canada
Quebec, Qc
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Recently received a mail from Golden Egg Games. Proposing to offer free of charge a box of their next project, Alliances (I believe this is the name of the game...)

For my part, even if I was not happy with this situation, I believe this is one of the only option that the company can afford right now. I,m not trying to say that this this whole situation is okay or perfect but, in a way, they're trying their best to correct the mistake...

Surely you'll find that I'm too kind of a guy... Anyway...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Burgess
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
borisvivant wrote:
Recently received a mail from Golden Egg Games. Proposing to offer free of charge a box of their next project, Alliances (I believe this is the name of the game...)

For my part, even if I was not happy with this situation, I believe this is one of the only option that the company can afford right now. I,m not trying to say that this this whole situation is okay or perfect but, in a way, they're trying their best to correct the mistake...

Surely you'll find that I'm too kind of a guy... Anyway...

I think that is entirely unacceptable. They made a mistake that cost a lot of people cash out of pocket. They haven't even put up a KS page for it. This game is likely in the early design stages and, frankly, Golden Egg Games don't have a lot of my good faith right now.

Cash is what was taken. Cash is the only acceptable reparation. Small business can't afford it? Watch out for key mistakes like this. The email Pat posted above is proof he knew USPS was the method to use for shipping and he simply dropped the ball.

Elan has posted a 'Canadian backers please PM me' note up on KS, if you haven't seen it. Though - I did PM him about this issue when I discovered it and he never replied to that so whelp.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Burgess
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Yep, Elan just got back to me on kickstarter. His compensation is to offer us the game 'Alliances'.

Ridiculous. Every reputable company that I've dealt with that has done financial damage to me has owned the mistake and refunded the money.

Edit: Ha, Alliances is a simple trick taking game with some sort of nationality theme layered over top.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Owen Fingerhut
msg tools
From what I understand it seems like GEG got way over its head with this project. Between customs, seperate shipping on all the KS benefits and now this minor error that blew up in their face I would bet this project was not nearly as financially successful as they had hoped and could have been a major blow to their plans for the future. Then again, I didn't get slapped with forty dollar import charges so it might be easier for me to be sympathetic than you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Burgess
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
newo199 wrote:
From what I understand it seems like GEG got way over its head with this project. Between customs, seperate shipping on all the KS benefits and now this minor error that blew up in their face I would bet this project was not nearly as financially successful as they had hoped and could have been a major blow to their plans for the future. Then again, I didn't get slapped with forty dollar import charges so it might be easier for me to be sympathetic than you.

True. I'm also a senior manager who runs many projects on a daily basis and I know how I'd be expected to react. At minimum, I'd be expected to try to make people whole again.

Think if a restaurant used somehow used the 'wrong merchant account' to charge your CC and now you're out $40-50. And the compensation for some entree that you may get 6-12 months from now, that you may not like, from a company that has proven itself to be in over it's head and had specifically already said months ago they wouldn't do the practice that caused the issue in the first place.

I'd read all of the mistakes as GEG being run by complete amateurs. They have no intention of being professionals and making things right. They'll just offer a token 'compensation' for appearances and to hope it appeases those they have wronged. They know it's but one that is in their best interests - not the customers.

Pretend this exact issue occurred with FFG or Plaid Hat or another reputable company. Do you think they'd own the error and provide true compensation or this token?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
Moved from Fallen City of Karez to the Golden Egg Games company General forum

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Theel
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ruval wrote:
[q="newo199"]Pretend this exact issue occurred with FFG or Plaid Hat or another reputable company. Do you think they'd own the error and provide true compensation or this token?

Except that you kickstarted a game - the act of which is allowing someone without the financial backing to make a game to now produce one. Things go wrong, Kickstarter is definitely not risk free.

Your restaraunt analogy is off. It's more like this new restaraunt opens with many disclaimers and no one knows if the end product will be good and you have to sign a waiver to eat their first. Finally, you find out their computer system messed up and over-charged you but they don't have the money to return.

I'm not arguing that you shouldn't be reimbursed for your fees, but I am saying that it's very likely they don't have the money to reimburse you. What should they do? Do they declare bankruptcy and you don't get anything and their dream dies? Do they do the best they can by moving forward and offering you a free game down the line? That's what they're offering.

The situation is shitty for everyone involved and there's no clear solution that makes everyone happy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Burgess
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
red black wrote:
Ruval wrote:
Edit2: I went back to look - The game was billed at $49 + [b]$5 to ship to Canada.

I don't see how they could ship for $5 using any shipping company.

Ruval wrote:
Pretend this exact issue occurred with FFG or Plaid Hat or another reputable company. Do you think they'd own the error and provide true compensation or this token?

They wouldn't charge five bucks for shipping...

It's not a $5 total ship cost. It's a $5 premium on top. Shipping to US residents is "free", but it's not actually free. Apparently GEG decided shipping to Canada is $5 more than the cost of shipping within the US.

That probably was a poor decision - as you noted, any other company wouldn't make such a poor decision - as I think it probably cost them more, but it wouldn't be the first poor decision we've seen them make. That being said - that's the rate they advertised and they noted they'd use USPS.

Unless you're trying to argue UPS is cheaper that USPS, I'm not sure of your point here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.