BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Political Board Game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brandon Fox
msg tools
mb
Hello gang,

My partner is one to usually sit out on board game nights as the overload of instructions usually are enough to make him want to read a book instead. I think something a little more suited to his interests would have him inclined to join in on the fun.

Are there any political strategy games that are just good fun? I don't want a game that might leave the other players snoozing as politics aren't for everyone.

Would love some recommendations.

Thank you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alfred Wallace
United States
Champaign
IL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's not for everybody, but Democrazy comes to mind.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Weber
Germany
Wendeburg
Germany
flag msg tools
Yo quiero estar contigo, vivir contigo, bailar contigo
badge
Yo quiero estar contigo, vivir contigo, bailar contigo
mbmbmbmbmb
The latest dice tower Top ten is about political games:

http://www.dicetower.com/top_ten_lists/political-games.html
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. Blue
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you can find a copy and don't mind a 2-player game, 1960: The Making of the President is fantastic. I like it much more than its big brother, the more popular (and twice as long) Twilight Struggle, with which it shares some core mechanics.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Fox
msg tools
mb
Anyone play Article 27: The UN Security Council Game? Thoughts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Geller
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mrblueesq wrote:
If you can find a copy and don't mind a 2-player game, 1960: The Making of the President is fantastic. I like it much more than its big brother, the more popular (and twice as long) Twilight Struggle, with which it shares some core mechanics.

The infant stepchild of these games is Campaign Manager 2008 (another 2-player only game). I'm not a fan of it, but it can be found for cheap and is more likely to appeal to a rules averse player than the big siblings.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Martin
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
1 Million Shogoths Killed and Counting.
mbmbmbmbmb
What about the resistance? Unless I misunderstand what you mean by political.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Hansen
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're looking for some fun Daily Show style satire of the US political system, check out Corporate America. It's a kickstarter that will ship in June, but you can preorder from their website http://www.nothingsacredgames.com/shop/.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/77978264/corporate-ameri...

At it's core it is an economic game where you invest in different businesses that generate income with bonuses for having synergy among your businesses. But the game is driven by negotiation (bribery) and the presidential campaigns (a.k.a., who spends the most money). I haven't played it yet, but I think there are great game mechanics to go with the political satire.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damien Seb. ●leoskyangel●
Malaysia
Bangsar & PJ
flag msg tools
badge
I play games not to win, it's the gathering that's important - Thanks for the tip Cate108!
mbmbmbmbmb
I know that these two game have politics in it, Die Macher and Power Struggle, either by category, mechanics or theme.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rodney Sheldon
United States
Springfield
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you will find Die Macher a little heavy for someone that can be overloaded by instructions.

I would suggest Tammany Hall. Has a nice political theme, and is not loaded down with rules. It has alot depth, just not alot of rules!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hardy
Germany
Münster
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Junta andKremlin
are political themed games, which are fun to play. Both are kind of satirical, and are a lot about irritating other players...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rodney Sheldon
United States
Springfield
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kremlin might be hard to get as I believe it is out of print at the moment. (Although I heard it might be coming back into print soon)

But both Junta and Kremlin are fun games!

Chicken Caesar is a Kremlin like game. Just with chickens.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Kluck
United States
Hudson
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are many games that have a particular political theme pasted on worker placement, area control or some other base mechanic. This is an area of interest of mine as well but I've never seen a anything that satisfies.

You might try Down with the King or Diplomacy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.