Popular Tags: [View All]
Fabien Conus
Switzerland
Geneva
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all,

Here is my problem: Atlantis Rising seems too easy.

And by watching videos or reading posts here, I'm a bit flabbergasted, because everyone says the opposite.

I play lots of games, and I especially like co-op games.

When I bought Atlantis Rising, I was really looking forward to the challenge.

My first game was a two-players game in Easy mode. We won. We got close to loosing, but we won.

The second game was also in Easy mode and was with 4 players. Again, we won. It was actually a bit easier than the first time.

For the third game, we tried a 4-player Normal mode. We won again.

At that point my and my girlfriend had re-read the rules several times to make sure we weren't missing anything (we read them both in french and in english, just to be sure).

Last week-end, we were at Bruno Faidutti's Ludopathic Gathering and we decided to play again. This time, we played with designer Cédric Lefebvre and his wife (and publisher Ludonaute). We were all pretty heavy gamers and fans of co-op games, so we decided to go directly to Cosmic difficulty.

And guess what ? We won !

So what now ? Do I sell the game, or is there yet another difficulty level ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Galen Ciscell
United States
Auburn
WA
flag msg tools
designer
Check out my game, Atlantis Rising! :)
mb
As suggested in the rulebook, you can start with no mystic energy.

You can also start the Athenian Navy track one step forward (this is my suggestion, not listed in the rulebook).

If you really need a challenge, try drawing one extra misfortune card at the end of each round (no one loses a placement, but it may Flood an additional tile)?

Aside from that, wow, you are awesome gamers!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Galen Ciscell
United States
Auburn
WA
flag msg tools
designer
mb
I'd also recommend playing a few more times on Cosmic difficulty. I suspect you may not win every time (though you might)!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fabien Conus
Switzerland
Geneva
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gciscell wrote:
As suggested in the rulebook, you can start with no mystic

Oh yes, I forgot to mention that we did that !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Galen Ciscell
United States
Auburn
WA
flag msg tools
designer
mb
FabienC wrote:
gciscell wrote:
As suggested in the rulebook, you can start with no mystic

Oh yes, I forgot to mention that we did that !

Wow you are good! Well try again and see if you can beat it on cosmic several times in a row. I suspect it will get the best of you eventually.

You could also take out the Calm Seas cards

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jer Wolfe
United States
Nampa
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fablen?

One quick question. Did you trade resources between players or did your characters focus on certain jobs? (ie.. Champion always in the Navy, Priest always getting Mystic energy and so on)

Thanks and awesome job beating this game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fabien Conus
Switzerland
Geneva
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wolfe13 wrote:
Fablen?

One quick question. Did you trade resources between players or did your characters focus on certain jobs? (ie.. Champion always in the Navy, Priest always getting Mystic energy and so on)

Thanks and awesome job beating this game!

No, no trading, unless we play a card allowing us to do so.

We did focus on certain jobs (I am usually in charge of the athenians, since my dice rolling abilities are usually crappy ), and we try to hoard tons of mystic energies, so that our dice rolls end up being successful most of the time.

Here are what I think is key to win:

- quickly use the cities to get more men and them have one area of the island you can sacrifice if need be

- having one player manage the athenians (with the occasional help from other players)

- gathering lots of mystic energies

As with any other co-op game, the key is to reduce the luck factor as much as possible. That's what mystic energies allow you to do.

I will try to play again with Cosmic difficulty and then I will try starting with stronger athenians and removing some calm seas.

Galen, congratulations on your game, I love the theme and the mechanics. But I guess that for now, Ghost Stories remains the most difficult co-op I've ever played (maybe tied with Robinson Crusoe: Adventures on the Cursed Island)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Galen Ciscell
United States
Auburn
WA
flag msg tools
designer
mb
Ghost Stories remains my favorite co-op (although I don't find it too difficult now that we always play with Ghost Stories: White Moon) so I'll take that as a compliment

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul S
United Kingdom
Leeds
West Yorks
flag msg tools
DARK IN HERE, ISN'T IT?
mbmbmbmbmb
I am not worthy. I've never won AR or GS. Good on you. It is encouraging to know that there are a few out there who buck the trend.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fabien Conus
Switzerland
Geneva
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gciscell wrote:
Ghost Stories remains my favorite co-op (although I don't find it too difficult now that we always play with Ghost Stories: White Moon) so I'll take that as a compliment

It was definitely meant as a compliment.

Ghost Stories does get a bit easier with White Moon. You should try Black Secrets !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Galen Ciscell
United States
Auburn
WA
flag msg tools
designer
mb
FabienC wrote:
It was definitely meant as a compliment.

Well thank you!

FabienC wrote:
Ghost Stories does get a bit easier with White Moon. You should try Black Secrets !

I own and have tried Black Secret both competitively and with my Automated Wu-Feng variant. I like it OK both ways, but not as much as the base game plus White Moon (only).

That said, everything together does look awfully pretty when it's all set up (with a little help from PetCo's aquarium department)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jer Wolfe
United States
Nampa
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes Ghost Stories is my #1 and Atlantis Rising is my #2 but I have beaten AR... Lol
And I have beaten AR with Galen, but is was down to 3 cards and could have gone either way
Ghost stories? Not even close... whistle
P.S. Fablen... the trading question was a bit misleading, I knew the rule... sorry

In playtesting with new people that is the most commonly forgotten rule that there is no trading (bottom pg 7.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Purple Paladin

California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ya, when we started playing Defenders of the Realm, we won easily the first 2 games. It was almost a let-down.

Then, we found we were making multiple rules mistakes (in our favor), and that explained that. Not picking an extra darkness spreads card each time we killed a general was the main culprit.

Now, we win about 1 in 3 games of DotR. About right if you ask me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
Enter something witty here
badge
These aren't really my legs
mbmbmbmbmb
My group of 4 is currently trying to find ways to make the game harder as well. We've been playing on Cosmic Difficulty. The past nights we've been adding extra components. Tonight's game we played with components CCDD + Power Core.

We haven't tried the no mystic energy to start, extra misfortune card or moving the athenian galley so we may have to try those suggestions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
world eater
msg tools
Nice. My girlfriend and I were annihilated by AR the other day (first play, 2 player). Not even close.

We play lots of co-ops and have won plenty vs. Ghost Stories, Yggdrasil on hard mode, Defenders + various challenge tweaks..

After playing I realized I should have approached it as an efficiency puzzle from round 1. We'll see how game 2 goes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Adamson
Canada
Whitby
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
@ Fabien: It seems like you are playing some rules wrong, either that, or you always roll 5 or 6 when collecting resources. At least as a 2-player game, we found it to be extremely hard, even on easy difficulty. Perhaps with three or more players, the game becomes easier. But, with more players, you have to draw more Misfortune cards every turn, right? Each player has to draw a Misfortune card every single turn.

If you place your Atlanteans in the middle to get Mystic Energy, or on the Athenian board, it leaves you very little left for other actions. Of course, in one of our games, the first Misfortune card revealed was Flood Cities, and from then on, we were screwed.

One thing: after collecting all of your Atlanteans from the cities tiles, those tiles are free to sacrifice after that, right? But, do you know that from then on, if you draw a Misfortune card that says to Flood Cities, you don't ignore the flooding, you actually have to flood TWO other tiles anywhere on the island? Are you playing that rule correctly?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fabien Conus
Switzerland
Geneva
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jsnadamson wrote:
@ Fabien: It seems like you are playing some rules wrong, either that, or you always roll 5 or 6 when collecting resources. At least as a 2-player game, we found it to be extremely hard, even on easy difficulty. Perhaps with three or more players, the game becomes easier. But, with more players, you have to draw more Misfortune cards every turn, right? Each player has to draw a Misfortune card every single turn.

If you place your Atlanteans in the middle to get Mystic Energy, or on the Athenian board, it leaves you very little left for other actions. Of course, in one of our games, the first Misfortune card revealed was Flood Cities, and from then on, we were screwed.

One thing: after collecting all of your Atlanteans from the cities tiles, those tiles are free to sacrifice after that, right? But, do you know that from then on, if you draw a Misfortune card that says to Flood Cities, you don't ignore the flooding, you actually have to flood TWO other tiles anywhere on the island? Are you playing that rule correctly?

Hi Jason,

Trust me, we did all the rules right. We even reread them several times and I even went through the various threads here on BGG.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Adamson
Canada
Whitby
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok then. My apologies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D Man

Arizona
msg tools
I wonder if they were using mystic energy as a group pool resource (as with preventing floods) for dice rolls versus using the active character's (the person who is rolling) personal stash. That would change the strategy from one person hoarding mystic energy and everyone needing to take their turn gathering some for luck offset. And possibly an easily overlooked rule.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fabien Conus
Switzerland
Geneva
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Turnncough wrote:
I wonder if they were using mystic energy as a group pool resource (as with preventing floods) for dice rolls versus using the active character's (the person who is rolling) personal stash. That would change the strategy from one person hoarding mystic energy and everyone needing to take their turn gathering some for luck offset. And possibly an easily overlooked rule.

We played with personal stash.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.