Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jonathan Franklin
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
Could you compare Teramyyd to other games?

For example, does it share features with Fortune & Glory/Flying Frog style games?

Is it more like the FFG World of Warcraft big box or WoW: the Adventure Game?

Others?

Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
IO Worlds
United States
Billings
Montana
flag msg tools
publisher
Teramyyd has a reactive world that behaves and has random events similar to Arkham Horror. You have spells and some deck manipulation like in Dominian or Magic the Gathering. Plus some of the adventure elements of games such as Heroquest.

With the Captains that you play, you have strengths and weaknesses. The key to being successful in the game is being able to exploit your strengths and minimize your weaknesses. During the game your Captain will increase in level and skills from those levels. Then his or her strengths can be improved through acquiring cards such as artifacts and tactics.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John E
United States
Cary
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was getting a Talisman vibe with players moving around a map trying to power themselves up by drawing cards/having events. Until someone gets strong enough to challenge the 'big bad thing' in the center of the map and win.

That was combined with a Merchants and Marauders style of sailing around improving your ship, adding crew and completing quest cards. And if some errant cannonballs happened to find their way to your opponents ships so much the better.

Can't wait for the more fleshed-out rules to get a better idea of how everything will work. I already backed just on the strength of the theme, the sky-piratey world and the very awesome minis
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Price
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
Member of the San Francisco Game Group since 2005
badge
This is a customized Bane Tower from the game Man o' War
mb
I went out an picked up a copy of Runebound, just so I could remind myself what I like and what I don't like about this style of game (I've pledged at one of the playtester levels, so I see this as "doing my homework"!)

Big thematic games are good fun, Arkham Horror is a favorite.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
IO Worlds
United States
Billings
Montana
flag msg tools
publisher
Thanks for "doing your homework" :-)

mattprice wrote:
I went out an picked up a copy of Runebound, just so I could remind myself what I like and what I don't like about this style of game (I've pledged at one of the playtester levels, so I see this as "doing my homework"!)

Big thematic games are good fun, Arkham Horror is a favorite.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Price
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Just played this afternoon, as a matter of fact!

Some of the good things about Runebound that would translate well (I think) to Teramyyd:
- Sense of adventure and progress as the game unfolds.
- Changing difficulty of encounters as you gain power

Some of the less-good things about Runebook to watch out for:
- Decisions aren't always very meaningful. In fact, they're rarely meaningful
- There are few difficult choices and the game can feel rather linear.
- Game feels very same-y. All you do is go to an encounter, defeat it, go back to town, get stuff, go to an encounter... The game expansions do an OK job of adding little bits to mix things up; and other games (like Arkham Horror) offer a great deal more variety and allow players to make informed decisions as the game progresses (e.g., in Arkham Horror, if you need a "common item", there are places to go to get them. Need a spell? There are places to go to get them)

I think T:E is setting itself up to provide players with much more interesting decisions and choices to make. I'm really looking forward to playing it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan C
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep, to gain what he cannot lose."
mbmbmbmbmb
mattprice wrote:
- Game feels very same-y.

These three characteristics of a game are more than enough to make me avoid it like the plague.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Brown
United States
Parker
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
looleypalooley wrote:
mattprice wrote:

These three characteristics of a game are more than enough to make me avoid it like the plague.

Avoid Runebound or avoid Teramyyd? You realize those criticisms were about Runebound, not Teramyyd, right? And that expectations are that Teramyyd will avoid these problems?

At least that's how I read it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Price
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
mb
That was precisely why I bought a used copy of Runebound ($16! Pretty good for an OOP still-fairly-popular game that I just wanted to play to prepare me for Teramyyd)

Those criticism are indeed for Runebound. Though I think that game is entertaining, it's just not that good. I also got a copy of Sands of Kalim, as I think that expansion (from what I've read, I've not yet played it!) addresses some of those issues in ways that might be applied to a game of this type (i.e., an adventure game with leveling up and a final goal or "boss" to be defeated at the end)

So I will be playtesting Teramyyd with the attitude that indeed, those qualities above are plague-like and would drive sensible gamers away. What mechanics can be applied to allow more meaningful decisions to be made? How can the game be made fresh each time, improving replayability? I've played gobs of games like this (Runebound, Return of the Heroes, Prophecy, Arkham Horror, even simpler games like Zombicide and to some degree more complex games like Twilight Imperium and Eclipse) and I'm eager to test this one out!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan C
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep, to gain what he cannot lose."
mbmbmbmbmb
Lurkfish wrote:
You realize those criticisms were about Runebound, not Teramyyd, right?

Yes.

Edit: But regarding expectations for this game, it seems a reasonable conclusion that the final product could end up all over the map (from great to awful) given its current state of development.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Franklin
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
One of the largest challenges in adventure games is creating diverse experiences without immense rulebooks with tons of micro-rules and edge cases. How will playings of the game differ from one another, other than player special powers? For example, what % of the cards in the game will a player see in one game?

In the trailer, most of the cards affected number of dice, hits with dice, etc. Could you have a look at Fortune & Glory and let us know how similar to or different from FanG Teramyyd is?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Price
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
mb
grandslam wrote:

In the trailer, most of the cards affected number of dice, hits with dice, etc. Could you have a look at Fortune & Glory and let us know how similar to or different from FanG Teramyyd is?

That game is in our group, so I'll be sure to do that, thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan Haglert
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
looleypalooley wrote:
mattprice wrote:

Those are how I feel about M&M.

But I have only played it twice really so.. But I doubt it can be saved for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.