Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
9 Posts

The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring Deck-Building Game» Forums » Variants

Subject: Solo Game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tom Sidener
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb

I have been playing a solo game of Lord of the Rings Deck Building game and I find it quite enjoyable. I thought that I would share how I play it in case anyone else wants to try. I dont always have other people around willing to play a game with me so this is a good variant when I want to play alone.

I setup the game as usual with one exception. In the path I put out 6 cards instead of 5.

I start with a normal hand of 6 Courage and 3 Despair and I draw a random hero card.

The dummy player does not start with any cards.

I use 3 d6 dice to determine the cards purchased by the dummy player.

I take my turns as normal following all rules for ambush draws.

The dummy player re-fills the path after my turn as normal but any time an ambush is resolved, instead of discarding cards he discards dice.

The dummy player (after filling the path with 6 cards) rolls 3 d6 dice and takes the cards associated with the dice roll from the path and adds them to his deck. (Example 3 5 6 rolled on dice dummy player takes cards 3 5 and 6 from the path)

If the dummy player rolls doubles he only takes cards for the different numbers he rolls. (Example 2 2 4 rolled on dice dummy player takes cards 2 and 4 from the path)

If the dummy rolls 3 of a kind he then takes the current arch enemy. (Example 3 3 3 rolled on dice dummy player takes the top Arch Enemy and then reveals and resolves the next one in the stack.

When I have a card that has the other player discard a card I have the dummy player remove a dice instead from his next roll.

An event that makes a player discard his entire hand would have the dummy player skip his roll on the next turn.

When something requires the dummy player to select a random card, I select a random card from his deck.

If something requires the dummy player to reveal his hand, I shuffle his deck and reveal 5 cards for his hand.

If something requires the dummy player to reveal a card from his hand I reveal a random card from his deck.

If something requires the dummy player to select a number, I draw a random card from his deck and the cost is the number I use.

For the card that says pick a number and then draw a card from your hand and see if it matches, I draw 5 cards for the dummy player and then I pick the number in his deck that has the most representation among his cards.

I play the game until all arch enemies are destroyed. If the main deck runs out I loose. If all the arch enemies are defeated, I count up my points and then count up the points of the dummy player. If I have more points I win if the dummy player has more points I loose.

I usually win but if you wanted to make it more of a challenge you could just add a fourth or fifth dice for the dummy player.

Any suggestions to improve this solo variant would be gladly accepted.

Newtsdad
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julian Dick
Germany
Wiesbaden
flag msg tools
mb
this seams like a nice Variant! with the dummy player, you can still use all the attack cards etc. this aspect of the game would get totally lost if you just use the solo variant like in ascension. i will try it out tonight and report if it works well. will be using 4 dice for the dummy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julian Dick
Germany
Wiesbaden
flag msg tools
mb
I just wanted to know, what do you do, if the dummy will receive a corruption? do you simply give him the card, or do you also remove a die for that turn for example?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Buonocore
United States
Warren
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for sharing this solitaire variant. Tried it out with 4 dice and Gimli, and won 76-63. In response to the question posted by Jule Dee immediately above, I just would just give the dummy player the corruption card under those circumstances, and would remove a die only if the dummy player is in any way forced to discard a card.

This variant played quite smoothly once I got a feel for it, and was very enjoyable to play. There's yet another variant posted here which I also tried and liked, and it's sure nice to have 2 different ones which are both quite good from which to choose.

Well done. Thanks again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
d peruzzini
United States
cheektowaga
New York
flag msg tools
Which of the other solo variants posted was the one you liked? Just picked up the game and opened it today

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darin Bolyard
United States
Oak Grove
Missouri
flag msg tools
But God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
badge
In your world, I have another name. You must learn to know me by it. That was the very reason why you were brought to Narnia, that by knowing me here for a little, you may know me better there.
mbmbmbmbmb
This is pretty cool. I tested a very similar solo variant of my own which I have found to be very fun as well. I also utilize dice for a single dummy player/opponent, except that I use 2 d6 and 1 d12.
Here is how I play it:
-Set up the path with 5 cards as usual.
-Give each myself and the dummy player the usual 6 courage/3despair.
-Give only myself a random hero/starting card.
-Set aside 2d6 and 1d12 for the dummy player.
-I always go first.
-I do not resolve attacks/ambushes during either player's first turn.
The dummy player and his turn:
-For the first turn only, leave all the dummy player's cards face down on his deck.
-Roll all three dice and resolve them as follows:
>The d6:
~Rolls of 1-5 take those numbered cards from the path (ordered from the deck-1,2,3,4,5).
~A roll of 6 takes the highest cost card from the path after the first d6 is resolved. If there is a tie for highest cost, all tied cards are taken.
~Any instance of doubles (1/1, 2/2, 3/3, etc.) takes all of the cards from the path.
>The d12:
~A roll of 12 takes the archenemy in addition to any cards already taken from the path
>All cards taken on the dummy's turn are placed face down atop his deck.
-After resolving the rolls, place the dummy player's hand face up on a discard pile next to his deck.*
*Begin doing this at the end of the dummy player's second turn.
-I then lightly shuffle the dummy deck and draw a hand of 5 cards face down to be used for resolving attacks/ambushes.*
*begin doing this at the end of the dummy player's first turn.
If all of his cards are in the discard, reshuffle them to recreate his deck
Resolving attacks/ambushes:
-I play them by the rules for myself (including multiple ambushes).
-For the dummy player, cards lost = dice lost for his next turn, always removing the d6 first.*
*This could result in the loss of all three dice, providing no cards on the dummy player's next turn, except for a Valor card as detailed below.
-I always resolve an attack/ambush on the dummy player to his best advantage (play a defense card, choose the highest cost representation in his hand, etc.).*
*with Saruman's ambush and such, I simply draw a random card.
Other changes:
-If I play cards like My Captain, My King, I resolve them to the dummy player's best advantage (i.e.destroy a corruption or despair if possible).
-As soon as I take my first archenemy, the dummy player always takes a valor on each of his turns in addition to any other cards, even if he lost all of his dice for that turn.
-Game end/winning/losing:
-The game immediately ends under the following conditions:
1. the archenemy stack runs out
2. the main deck runs out
3. the valor cards run out
I win only when the archenemy stack runs out first and I have the most points. If the game ends any other way, I lose.
I'm guessing that the "impossible" archenemies would amp up the difficulty.

This has been a fun set up to play. And though the majority of the high cost cards often go to the dummy player, I feel that is highly reflective of a multiplayer game. After all, how many 7 cost cards do you end up with in a 3-4 player game? It is common to see them taken from the path before your turn rolls around.

I have won and lost in this set up. You can still purchase Valor cards, but doing so will reduce the "game timer." If you take no Valor cards, you have exactly 15 additional turns to defeat the rest of the the archenemies. You might think of just building a "super" deck before taking your first archenemy, but that just gives the dummy player more opportunities to roll 12s (taking archenemies) and take cards from the path. If you hold off in this way, you will likely deplete the main deck and lose, or rack up a lot of raw points for the dummy player.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darin Bolyard
United States
Oak Grove
Missouri
flag msg tools
But God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
badge
In your world, I have another name. You must learn to know me by it. That was the very reason why you were brought to Narnia, that by knowing me here for a little, you may know me better there.
mbmbmbmbmb
Enroth186 wrote:
I just wanted to know, what do you do, if the dummy will receive a corruption? do you simply give him the card, or do you also remove a die for that turn for example?

This↓
Newtsdad wrote:
When I have a card that has the other player discard a card I have the dummy player remove a dice instead from his next roll.

A corruption gained is a corruption gained. It's deck clutter and a point deducted. Same is true for my variant.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kimchi fried rice
United States
Uptown
New York
flag msg tools
AKIMBO!
badge
반갑습니다!
mbmbmbmbmb
dbolyard wrote:
This is pretty cool. I tested a very similar solo variant of my own which I have found to be very fun as well.

This is awesome! I'm going to try this right now.

This variant is likely tailored for Fellowship, but are there any special considerations for Two Towers or Return of the King?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darin Bolyard
United States
Oak Grove
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
xBino wrote:
...This variant is likely tailored for Fellowship, but are there any special considerations for Two Towers or Return of the King?

In total, I've played these three games more times solo than any other games in my collection. Over time, I have since ditched some of the more fidgety aspects of the solo variant written above, including some of the modifications in my previous post.

For the sake of continuity and ease of play, which is still challenging and balanced, I play each of these games the same way. All that's needed is 2 matching d6s, 1 unique d6, and 1 d12.

For the sake of not high-jacking this thread [again], I'll post my own thread and link it in this post (Playing Solo) if you're interested in trying it out. It's not so different from the OPs or my own listed above (which were ironically similar), but it is a little more streamlined. Sorry for sort of hijacking your thread the first time, Tom. I hope a bit of your way is an adequate reflection of my remorse.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.