United States
Glenside
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Hast ye seen the White Whale?
mbmbmbmbmb
Are there any sets of games out there, in which each is a complete standalone game, but you can set them up together and have synchronous/coordinated gameplay?
I'm not looking for trivial cases, where you play two copies of the same game, alternating turns and boards (e.g. playing 2 games of chess at the same time). Small World with Underground and Tunnels is close to what I am describing, but those are really the same game, notwithstanding different abilities and maps.
Direct interaction is not necessary, but the two should be synchronized in game time, so that the games have the same number of turns that play out in a similar amount of clock time. Compatible themes would be a bonus (e.g. building a civilization, and building a single city).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Tete Montoliu - Tootie's Tempo
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mondo works this way, but it's one game for several players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
Fische Fluppen Frikadellen
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph T
United States
Signal Hill
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Aquaretto may be played as an expansion to Zooloretto where you play the two games simultaneously, taking an action from either game as your turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan S
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
What!? I finally get my very own video game, but it's a mobile game?!
mbmbmbmbmb
Perhaps the Axis & Allies games? I can't remember the exact names of them, but they have the Pacific Front and European Front versions that can be both setup to play a giant game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Red Devil
England
London
flag msg tools
I understand what you're asking and I'm not aware of any such games. It's something I also thought about a couple of months ago when I was explaining the harmony in the recent Tempest series of games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Space Cadets kinda does that, though it's only one game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Kinney
United States
Bellefontaine
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Memoir '44: Overlord ?

You need two complete copies of Memoir '44, which could be played individually, but when combined in an 'Overlord' scenario require 4 players playing across both sets simultaneously.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jennifer Derrick
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You can set up any of the 10 Days In... series together (as long as they're geographically correct) and play 20 Days In..., etc., all the way up to 50 Days In... (there are five total games). You just need a lot of table space.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brook Gentlestream
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
you mean like Battlespace and BattleTech?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin
United States
Lincoln
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm surprised that no one has mentioned 7 Wonders yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nat Levan
United States
Glenside
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I did consider the 10 Days in... series, but that is really just an expanded map. (Great game, though)
Axis and Allies looks like it is would probably be in the same category as Small World. A larger map with different specifics, but otherwise the same.
Memoir '44: Overlord seems to be a little closer. It looks like adding a duplicate copy makes it larger, and adds some complexity, but it is still two copies of the same game. Is the strategy or mechanic significantly different?
Space Cadets seems to unify several mini-games, though it doesn't look like you could play the mini-games separately.
BattleSpace/BattleTech looks like it might be pretty close. It can be a space ship/squadron game, or a mech wargame, or a combined epic warfare game. Is that right?
Aquaretto/Zooloretto also seems to be a good fit. Same basic mechanic, but you reach the goal in different ways?
(As an aside, I'm not criticizing any of these games, just considering how they change if you played them together.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nat Levan
United States
Glenside
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And Fische Fluppen Frikadellen looks like a very good fit as well. Technically only a single game, but you can set up for 3 separate games that can all interact.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thaadd Powell
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Escape The Curse of the Temple

This is a 10 minute long, Simultaneous game...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
Sivilized wrote:
And Fische Fluppen Frikadellen looks like a very good fit as well. Technically only a single game, but you can set up for 3 separate games that can all interact.

As a single game, it's just so-so....but with 15 people, it's a hoot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emperors Grace
United States
Rexford
New York
flag msg tools
Hello!
badge
All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost;The old that is strong does not wither,Deep roots are not reached by the frost.
mbmbmbmbmb
Reminded me of the fictional "Virulence: The Game of Biological Warfare" from Knights of the Dinner Table.

Coop games that are competitive between each other. Amputation of limbs (to save the body) results in actual pieces of the body shaped board being removed from play. I'd love to have them publish this.

Simple description from the KoDT Wiki:
Virulence: The Game of Biological Warfare, a boardgame with both cooperative and competitive elements, centered around keeping a patient alive as it is attacked by various diseases while engineering diseases to attack other teams' patients. Reminiscent of the cooperative board game Pandemic.

[Spoiler] The real fun came when Sara amputates their board's head to foil a nasty infection (and win the game) because there's nothing in the rules as written that states the patient dies when the head is removed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Necessary Evil
United States
Glen Arm
Maryland
flag msg tools
Yes, I play the Bass.
badge
Sweet Holy Moses, Fruit F*cker Prime!
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:

we do the 3 board version of this about 1x a year... good fun

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph T
United States
Signal Hill
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Take it Easy! and FITS can combine multiple sets to play with more players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bird
Australia
CURRAMBINE
W.A.
flag msg tools
14,100+ Profile Views and counting!
badge
Want Geekgold? Visit my profile!
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:

This game is amazing to watch. I saw it played by 15 players across several tables in all corners (and outside) of the large room the gaming convention was being held in. Really regret not joining in as it's a once-a-year fiasco. Definitely this year!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Bohm
United States
Appleton
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Um, definitely The Adventurers series.

Especially if we can ever get a modular print n' play going.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Goh
Singapore
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
Budding wargamer
badge
My role model for his brains, calm demeanour and appetite for snacks!
mbmbmbmbmb
Haven't played these personally before, but I think Asia Engulfed and Europe Engulfed might fit the bill
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Owain B
United Kingdom
Corbridge
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This reminds me of my teenage years, when my brother and I had TSR's The Hunt for Red October and Red Storm Rising (my brother was into Tom Clancy). Red Storm Rising came with rules for a WWIII scenario, wherein the ground war played out in Eastern Europe on the RSR board, while (IIRC) the HfRO board dealt with NATO supply convoys trying to make it across the Atlantic to bring new units into Europe.

I'm not sure we ever managed to play that combined scenario, but it was definitely in the rulebook. They're both long OOP, of course, so this post is purely for nostalgic purposes. cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Block
United States
Sioux Falls
South Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The GIPF Project is exactly what you're asking about.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nat Levan
United States
Glenside
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Keith B wrote:
The GIPF Project is exactly what you're asking about.

That's a great example. I was mostly interested in the general category of "euro", but abstract certainly works.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bat Profile
United States
Sandworms USA
Plateau of Leng
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
get bit and the just finished kickstarter for walk the plank

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.