• [+] Dice rolls
Tyler
United States
Kent
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Man, where's the Spanish Civil War Gamers thread when you need it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Lawson
United States
Rutland
Vermont
flag msg tools
Boston Redsox
badge
New England Patriots!
mbmbmbmbmb
Exactly! I thought I was going to see the usual CSW bashathon. It has been almost a month since the last one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
billyboy wrote:
Exactly! I thought I was going to see the usual CSW bashathon. It has been almost a month since the last one.

I've never used CSW but hey they mirrored at least a couple of my reviews and so can't be all bad!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Gresik
United States
Bolingbrook
IL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Your title is flawed. It would suggest that ConsimWorld actualy has an originization scheme.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance Runolfsson
United States
Medford
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
The door is a jar.
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the deal is just figuring out how to make CSW work for ones self individually. A big leap for me to make CSW work, was realizing that there is no such thing as derailing a thread on CSW. One just goes into the folder for the game or system of interest. Then says or asks whatever. Then keeps checking to see if anything relevant pops up. I'm getting to like CSW pretty good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Seely
United States
Carmel
IN
flag msg tools
badge
Winner of the C. Montgomery Burns Award for Outstanding Achievement in the Field of Excellence
mbmbmbmbmb
LanceRunolfsson wrote:
I think the deal is just figuring out how to make CSW work for ones self individually. A big leap for me to make CSW work, was realizing that there is no such thing as derailing a thread on CSW. One just goes into the folder for the game or system of interest. Then says or asks whatever. Then keeps checking to see if anything relevant pops up. I'm getting to like CSW pretty good.

It's a good source of ongoing, stream-of-consciousness discussion of the hobby, specific games, and publishers. It's not so good as a database of game information. BGG is simply much better for that - BGG is almost like a wikipedia for games, where you can find all the "stats" about a game or publisher or game series, all in a standardized format of Info, Description, Versions, Images, Videos, Forums, Files, Blogs, Statistics, Web links.

However, if I have a rules question or general query about a title, I can almost always get a response from the designer, or from incredibly knowledgeable individuals, on CSW much quicker than here. The problem is that there's no good way to filter out the chatter there. Here, your question may never even be seen if it's buried in a game's sub-forum. There, your question will certainly be seen - but fishing a response out of the dozens of other concurrently-running conversations is the real trick, at least if you don't keep up with your subscriptions on a daily basis.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Burke
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
With a little help from some BGG buddies here I finally figured out the subscription aspect of Consim and at this point loving it.

(maybe a little more than the Geek )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Viglino
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
Slowed - BGG's moderation policies have driven me partially from here
badge
http://thegamebox.byethost15.com/smf/
mb
Yes, these threads are mirroring what goes on at CSW.

But, they are so much more useful here, with the way subscriptions work.
I can block the ones I don't want, and am force fed the ones I do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
The Herbie Nichols Project - Dr. Cyclops' Dream
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
calandale wrote:

OK, time to shoot myself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Lawson
United States
Rutland
Vermont
flag msg tools
Boston Redsox
badge
New England Patriots!
mbmbmbmbmb
calandale wrote:

I would say exactly the opposite and some of the threads Sphere screenshot were mine. I get way more bang for the buck out of the CSW threads. Really not even close.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Citrom
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Adam Starkweather, the producer of several major titles, including the Grand Tactical Series, and Kevin Chapman, a designer on the Axis & Allies games, subscribe to their games' respective forums. Post a question and you'll get an answer ASAP.

That question and answer will be in its own thread in the Rules subforum, easily accessed and searchable by anyone anytime.

I tried compiling a rules question and answer file for It Never Snows, over in the Standard Combat Series folder at CSW. I got about six pages worth done before I became so muddled by the concurrent questions, answers, unanswered questions, what was authoritative and what was not and copious chit chat, that I finally gave up.

So, what I'm hearing is that CSW is better at what it does because the game designers hang out there. So, if they hung out here instead, then there wouldn't be a discussion about what a wonderful website CSW is.

By hang out, I mean simply subscribe to the forums for their games.

As it turns out, I haven't visited my CSW folders in a bit. Now I'm screwed. If I actually want to know if there is any significnt news, I have the option of reading several hundred posts in each folder in order to see if any news was actually posted.

In the games I do subscribe to here, when a rules question comes up, I'll quickly check it out. Sometimes I'll say, yeah, I'd like to know the answer to that as well, and I'll click on subscribe. Thise threads are usually just 4 or 5 post affairs, enough for the question to get answered.

On CSW, if there's an interesting question, I now have to commit to tracking that folder and the question through the chaff until it gets answered, usually quickly, to be fair.

I'm not understanding the love of the chaos that is CSW not insomuch as it's a preference, rather that it is presented as anything other than a silly way to communicate online--gee, BGG sure has a lot of links, how am I going to figure it out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean Petters
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
billyboy wrote:
calandale wrote:

I would say exactly the opposite and some of the threads Sphere screenshot were mine. I get way more bang for the buck out of the CSW threads. Really not even close.

I do too, assuming I can find the group I want... But I have always known a group exists before I subscribe.

Once subscribed, the CSW system works just fine!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Citrom
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dean_1230 wrote:
billyboy wrote:
calandale wrote:

I do too, assuming I can find the group I want... But I have always known a group exists before I subscribe.

Once subscribed, the CSW system works just fine!

Grrrr...it doesn't work just fine!

I'm saying that tongue-in-cheek in the sense that the whole world and everyone in it is not behaving as I wish nor agreeing with me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
isaacc wrote:
Grrrr...it doesn't work just fine!

I'm saying that tongue-in-cheek in the sense that the whole world and everyone in it is not behaving as I wish nor agreeing with me.

It does work just fine, which is why the whole world won't agree with you. For every person here who says that the CSW system is an unworkable mess, there is a CSW counterpart who says precisely the same about BGG's system.

Both are mistaken, as a great many of us who use both on a regular basis can testify. If I had the power to do so, I'd declare this thread neutral territory and send the religious wars elsewhere.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Arthur
Australia
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

CSW works for me..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Cameron
United States
Charleston
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
calandale wrote:

These threads aren't mirroring CSW at all -- these are discussion threads for gamers to discuss a specific type of game, the CSW folders pictured are buckets into which are plopped hundreds of game and game-system-specific threads, each with its own months- or years-long discussion (typically with a very small cast of characters and often with a simmering backdrop of tensions and competitive grudges).

It's a handful of general discussions vs. a thousand narrow-cast chain letters. Not the same ball park, not even the same sport.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Viglino
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
Slowed - BGG's moderation policies have driven me partially from here
badge
http://thegamebox.byethost15.com/smf/
mb
cherryfunk wrote:
calandale wrote:

These threads aren't mirroring CSW at all -- these are discussion threads for gamers to discuss a specific type of game, the CSW folders pictured are buckets into which are plopped hundreds of game and game-system-specific threads, each with its own months- or years-long discussion (typically with a very small cast of characters and often with a simmering backdrop of tensions and competitive grudges).

It's a handful of general discussions vs. a thousand narrow-cast chain letters. Not the same ball park, not even the same sport.

I guess I wasn't looking carefully enough. There are threads
at CSW which are like these.

For me, the per-game threads are as interesting as subscribing to
a particular game here - but with everything on one chains. That's
completely uninteresting to me. A gestalt on one broad swath is
useful however - even if it stretches over years the way some
of the threads here have.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Cameron
United States
Charleston
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
calandale wrote:
I guess I wasn't looking carefully enough. There are threads at CSW which are like these.

I'm sure there are. Somewhere, buried deep in the mire.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
billyboy wrote:
calandale wrote:

CSW for the serious student.

BGG for the laughs.

devil

================

It's like a coffee shop (BGG) vs a library (CSW).

It is far easier to have a fun conversation and be just a bit silly here on the Beege.

"Hey man, grab a cup of Joe and pull up a chair!"

Over at CSW.....

"Thank You, sir. May I have another?"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael McCalpin
United States
McKinney
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sphere wrote:
calandale wrote:

"No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country." - George S. Patton
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mmccalpin wrote:
Sphere wrote:
calandale wrote:

"No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country." - George S. Patton

You're suggesting it would be wiser to shoot Calandale? devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael McCalpin
United States
McKinney
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sphere wrote:
mmccalpin wrote:
Sphere wrote:
calandale wrote:

You're suggesting it would be wiser to shoot Calandale? devil

On advice of my counsel, I decline to answer that question on the basis of my Fifth Amendment rights.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yodlaf Peterson
United States
Ohio and West Texas
Пиндостан
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Both sites are useful.

When I have a specific question about a certain game I always go to that game's page here on BGG first and check the files and forums. Usually that's all I need. Then to CSW if necessary. But there I might have to do a search (not always helpful and things are missed) or wade through thousands of pun, inside joke, gripe, obscure fact and chit-chat posts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Willcockson
United States
Woodstock
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh brother, another BGG hissy fit thread about CSW! Isn't someone suppose to chime in that they love the repetition or something. Hate to say it, but they really don't even notice or care over there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.