Subject: General Hackett and Churchill's trousers rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Edward Kendrick
United Kingdom
Redditch
Worcestershire
flag msg tools
Undergraduates at the Oxford Union in 1933 famously declared that there were no circumstances in which they “would fight for King and Country”…. When Randolph Churchill went back up to Oxford in an attempt to get the motion expunged from the Union’s records, he was lucky to escape with his trousers still on. Pursued off the Union premises by a throng of angry young pacifists, he avoided indignity only by seeking sanctuary in a public lavatory, which as one of his pursuers later admitted was “an odd place to keep your trousers on.”

The pursuer in question was John Hackett, later General Sir John Hackett, MC, DSO and bar.

[Burying Caesar, Graham Stewart]

Hackett commanded a parachute brigade at Arnhem and ended his career as commander of the BAOR in the sixties and later published an imaginary history of the Third World War, which included an account of a nuclear strike on Birmingham.

Dangerous folk, these pacifists.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan "Spartan Spawn, Sworn, Raised for Warring!"
United States
Sellersburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
badge
"By the power of truth, I, while living, have conquered the universe."
mbmbmbmbmb
I have his book sitting on my shelf, it looks interesting, have you read it? Is it good?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucius Cornelius
United States
Rome
SPQR
flag msg tools
badge
Lord Protector of Nothing in Particular
mbmbmbmbmb
There are too many pacifists pursuing "peace" through fear in this world;
glad my tenure's not permanent!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Kendrick
United Kingdom
Redditch
Worcestershire
flag msg tools
Luftwaffe Flak wrote:
I have his book sitting on my shelf, it looks interesting, have you read it? Is it good?

Do you mean Hackett's book or Stewart's?

I read Hackett's The Third World War (actually a compilation of episodes of which Hackett wrote several) many years ago. It struck me as workmanlike and offered a scenario which led to an attack by the Warsaw Pact on Western Europe, presenting views from several Western nations involved (British, German, Canadian and US amongst others) rather than being dominated by a US view.

Its overall purpose was to present the case for investment in the NATO forces opposing the WP and to oppose the cuts that were proposed at the time (and regularly since then), but this didn't make it overly propagandist.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M@tthijs
Netherlands
Venlo
flag msg tools
This user is outstanding in mediocre videogaming
badge
Did you visit my www.kobudovenlo.nl? It has game info
mbmbmbmbmb
I was a teenager when I read Hackett's The Third World War and, living next to the W-German border, with fighters roaring over my home each day at low altitudes, the book made quite an impression.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Sellersburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Edward sorry, yes Hacketts, cant believe I didnt denote that.

Thank you and Kael, I look forward to reading it then, I got it for a buck at a local non profit organization so I figured it wouldnt hurt. The only reason I recognized his name was he had written the forward for a book on Erwin Rommel I had bought the week earlier at the same store and I found even his forward to be enjoyable and readable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Procyk
Canada
Ottawa (Orléans)
Ontario
flag msg tools

Hackett also wrote a second book on the subject:

The Untold Story: The Third World War

They were certainly entertaining reads at the time. I am not sure how well they have aged.

Enjoy the reading!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Sellersburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
brozo wrote:

Hackett also wrote a second book on the subject:

The Untold Story: The Third World War

They were certainly entertaining reads at the time. I am not sure how well they have aged.

Enjoy the reading!

Turns out this is the one I have, I didnt realize when people were referring to just 'The Third World War' he had written more than one. The hardbound 'The Third World War: 1985' are going for a penny + shipping on Amazon so I figure its hard to go wrong. laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.