Subject: Coming in late to the party..... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chuck Reed
United States
Jackson
Missouri
flag msg tools
I'm BullTaco and I approved this message.
badge
Mess with the Bull.....
mbmbmbmb
First let me say that I LOVE LOVE LOVE the mini's in this game. That being said, me and my gaming partner will be the primary users of this game. Maybe 3 - 4 times a year we have more participants. But for a realistic standpoint...it will be just us two.

We play, I don't want to say war games.....but we like to kill each other! This would be a new phase for us, work together to kill a common enemy. I am not sure we would enjoy that....but again I am not sure that we wouldn't either! We are huge Battlore ,War of the Ring ad Small Mini Seargeants fans....again always going against each other.

So my question would be to my fellow Geeks is...are you and your gaming partner similair to us, or were you at some time in your gaming adventures? The only time we team up is when we play Axis and Allies and we have much fun trying to defeat or other buddies....again seldom happens but I did want to mention that as well.

As far as pledginf I am looking at the Captains Level, I assume that would keep us busy for some time??? I would love your opinions on that as well.

Thanks so much

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mark guckeyson
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Were I you, I'd go Captain plus any add-ons that were exclusive... Spriggan is it, I think. Then any of the things that add gameplay if you've got enough money.

There might be situations (a double lair spawn) where you don't have enough minions or captains, but you can proxy other figs in, if need be.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T C
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Captain lvl should be more than sufficient to keep you busy though some of the add ones are tempting. It's always difficult to say what you will or won't like, considering none of us have even played this game and we all have different tastes. I like competitive games, but this still holds interest to me. And with all the bonus stretch goals I imagine you could easily resell it if you don't like it, probably for a profit. Personally the game reminds me of Diablo or torchlight pc games in board game form.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
MERCS hasn't given us details, but it looks like their "Slaughterhouse" rules will allow player-vs-player combat. Also, Myth *does* have some rivalry. While you work together to kill the monster, the hero who gives a killing blow gets the treasure (something like that).

Oh, and since you like bulls, there's a Minotaur mini-boss!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raphael Pigulla
Germany
Feldkirchen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sam and Max wrote:
Also, Myth *does* have some rivalry. While you work together to kill the monster, the hero who gives a killing blow gets the treasure (something like that).

Not really. The treasure just drops and a token gets placed on the board. Anyone can pick it up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seba J
Germany
Frankfurt
Hessen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
markguy wrote:
There might be situations (a double lair spawn) where you don't have enough minions or captains, but you can proxy other figs in, if need be.

i don't even think so. the minis that come w/ captain level should be enough in every situation, given that Chuck and his friend are two players almost every time (as long as they don't choose to play 2 chars per player).
from what i've read (or remember), the darkness (or whatever it is called) acts/spawns faster with more players in game, doesn't it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raphael Pigulla
Germany
Feldkirchen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Clawf1ng3r wrote:
from what i've read (or remember), the darkness (or whatever it is called) acts/spawns faster with more players in game, doesn't it?

In "spawns faster" only in the sense that each hero gets to do less until a spawn occurs, but as I understood it, the total number of actions between spawns remains constant.

It's kinda hard to say how this plays out by pure theorycrafting, but considering that a) a spawn is triggered every X action points (or whatever they are called) and b) it doesn't matter which hero or how many heroes gather these points, it is pretty likely that more heroes does not necessarily mean more monsters. There may be other factors, though, that could influence this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Reed
United States
Jackson
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
Mess with the Bull.....
mbmbmbmb
Thanks for all the comments.....so are anyone of you all a fan of killing each other, but also like this coop game play as well? That is what I am concerned with...I know one never knows, but I was just curious is to what other peolpe have experienced with coop games vs head to head per say....

Thanks again for all the comments and keep 'em coming!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mark guckeyson
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Clawf1ng3r wrote:
markguy wrote:

i don't even think so. the minis that come w/ captain level should be enough in every situation, given that Chuck and his friend are two players almost every time (as long as they don't choose to play 2 chars per player).

It won't work like that, at least not always. What would happen is the two Heroes generate twice as much threat to kill the same number of critters, which causes bad things (captain or mini boss spawn) to happen when the Darkness activates. That means they're going to be spending more AP which causes more Darkness actions and hitting hand limits more often.

It's actually one of the reasons MYTH seems so excellent. As far as I can tell, with the obvious stipulation that I haven't played at all, it should work nearly the same with two Heroes as with five.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T C
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I generally prefer competitive games where I am playing against others, but on the flip side my girlfriend does not and a co-op game is something she may actually consider doing. And I enjoy co-op video games like Diablo, Torchlight, Borderlands 2, ect in addition to games where you try to kill the other players.

Plus I think co-op games are easier to play when you have a new player who is interested in playing that night, if they aren't going to be a regular member of your group. They probably won't be competitive if you try to teach them your favorite strategy games if the rest of your group is already experienced veterans, and if they aren't likely to play again then a co-op is a good option where you can all be on the same team.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Behne
United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
www.punchboardmedia.com/geaux-gaming/
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
morpheus133 wrote:
I generally prefer competitive games where I am playing against others, but on the flip side my girlfriend does not and a co-op game is something she may actually consider doing. And I enjoy co-op video games like Diablo, Torchlight, Borderlands 2, ect in addition to games where you try to kill the other players.

Plus I think co-op games are easier to play when you have a new player who is interested in playing that night, if they aren't going to be a regular member of your group. They probably won't be competitive if you try to teach them your favorite strategy games if the rest of your group is already experienced veterans, and if they aren't likely to play again then a co-op is a good option where you can all be on the same team.

And in case its a thing for you and your GF, co-op games go over much better on family game night...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Reed
United States
Jackson
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
Mess with the Bull.....
mbmbmbmb
Well just t9 let everyone know, I went for the Captain level X 2 ...one ofr myslef and one for gaming buddy....that should get us enough play toys to fight with!

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
nodjmet

North Dakota
msg tools
n3rd wrote:
Clawf1ng3r wrote:

In "spawns faster" only in the sense that each hero gets to do less until a spawn occurs, but as I understood it, the total number of actions between spawns remains constant.

It's kinda hard to say how this plays out by pure theorycrafting, but considering that a) a spawn is triggered every X action points (or whatever they are called) and b) it doesn't matter which hero or how many heroes gather these points, it is pretty likely that more heroes does not necessarily mean more monsters. There may be other factors, though, that could influence this.

It does remain constant with the actions generated by play. However the scale of spawns also go up with the scale of players. I recall that from numerous comments and watching the videos. Biggest thing that pops out was a response on if a hero dies somewhere. The answer being if a hero dies on a tile the tile acts as if that hero was still alive....making it much harder to finish that tile should a hero fall. After that once the heroes move on the next tiles would act according to less heroes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.