Popular Tags: [View All]
Travis Worthington
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
2010 Releases ........................................ The Resistance, Haggis & Triumvirate ..................................... Now accepting submissions for 2011 releases ........................................ www.IndieBoardsandCards.com
mbmbmbmbmb
The current kickstarter project has a stretch goal (already completed) of alternative art cards. One of my concerns with these cards is making the character art different while not introducing any complexities in role identification.

An alternative I am looking at is to keep the background art consistent for each role - and only changing the character. What are your thoughts?

Poll
Should the alternative art cards have the same background?
Yes
No
No opinion
      135 answers
Poll created by T Worthington

Each of the character art pieces have a color palette, even if the background art changes the color palette for each character will remain consistent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Tompkins
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
Never go in against a Sicilian when DEATH is on the line!
badge
You know what would be funny...
mbmbmbmbmb
It's unanimous!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mateenyweeny
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
Raks Raks Raks
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't even understand the question!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmbmbmb
Me neither. I was hoping this poll was going to be about getting new role cards for Resistance or something.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan W
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in favor of consistent backgrounds though it would seem that the color along with the unique icon for each character set would be recognizable enough.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Christiansen
United States
Mount Pleasant
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
OOK! OOK! OOK!
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally, I would love to be able to Kickstart both the normal version AND an Avalon version (much more appealing to me) even if the role powers were the same.

Can't you just recycle the Avalon art?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tankbot
United States
Pleasant Hill
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
With the larger card size (65mm x 100mm) being used, I think it would be a missed opportunity to showcase the aesthetics of the game by having the same backgrounds repeated. Making the color palettes of the alternative art similar to the original art would help with the character identification.

I know it may not be possible but if you had a mockup or two it would really help with the visualization (and the voting of course). It would also be interesting to see examples where different art detracted from a game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sky Zero
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My only vote: excellent card stock!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
zombie homer
msg tools
designer
chris1nd wrote:
Personally, I would love to be able to Kickstart both the normal version AND an Avalon version (much more appealing to me) even if the role powers were the same.

Can;t you just recycle the Avalon art?

Me too! I was hoping early on in the campaign that the alternate art will be based on Avalon but looks like it's not headed that way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Kim
United States
Berkeley
California
flag msg tools
Could we have pictures for comparison to see if changing the background truly confuse the players from its role?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Hunt
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
well, he's got to get his artist to make them. The more versions he has to make, the more work he has to do (and likely the greater cost), so presumably he'd like to get an idea of what we think so he only need do them once.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Connolly
United States
Camas
Washington
flag msg tools
I won the 1993 GenCon DnD Open
badge
My Game Convention Logo
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd like to see the original art and theme as a kick starter stretch goal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn George
United States
Toledo
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Open your eyes...
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that most of the backgrounds are abstract enough that it won't be a big deal if they're different or not. Just keep the style and the color consistent, and people will easily tell everything apart.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C M
msg tools
mbmb
I want the alternative art to be the french version.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clement Tey
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
slinkydink wrote:
I didn't even understand the question!
Maybe some sample pictures (not artwork) would help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan W
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cormor321 wrote:

Then buy the French version when it comes out. I highly doubt that there will be as much art in that version. But I'm sure that you will be satisfied with all you duplicates while we play with all unique cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C M
msg tools
mbmb
Yes, the duplicate cards are perfectly fine with me. I'd still love to see it as an option on the kickstarter though, would make it much simpler and likely cheaper than attempting to import it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmbmbmb
Uneyed wrote:
cormor321 wrote:

Then buy the French version when it comes out. I highly doubt that there will be as much art in that version. But I'm sure that you will be satisfied with all you duplicates while we play with all unique cards.
Note that the game will play entirely different with cards that are unique than with cards that aren't.

It's unclear if this change is for the better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Worthington
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
2010 Releases ........................................ The Resistance, Haggis & Triumvirate ..................................... Now accepting submissions for 2011 releases ........................................ www.IndieBoardsandCards.com
mbmbmbmbmb
clydeiii wrote:
Uneyed wrote:
cormor321 wrote:

Note that the game will play entirely different with cards that are unique than with cards that aren't.

only if you choose to discuss the card art - likely will include the rule that you can't to avoid this issue as its really not in the spirit of the game.

If you choose to play that way (ie, making discussion of the character part of the game) - fine, but its not the way it was designed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmbmbmb
T Worthington wrote:
clydeiii wrote:
Uneyed wrote:
cormor321 wrote:

only if you choose to discuss the card art - likely will include the rule that you can't to avoid this issue as its really not in the spirit of the game.

If you choose to play that way (ie, making discussion of the character part of the game) - fine, but its not the way it was designed.
Oh, yes, assuming you add in a rule saying, "You cannot discuss the art on your cards", then yes, it is the same game. I wasn't assuming you'd add that rule, however.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmbmbmb
T Worthington wrote:
clydeiii wrote:
Uneyed wrote:
cormor321 wrote:

Oh, yes, assuming you add in a rule saying, "You cannot discuss the art on your cards", then yes, it is the same game. I wasn't assuming you'd add that rule, however.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan W
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
clydeiii wrote:
T Worthington wrote:
clydeiii wrote:
Uneyed wrote:
cormor321 wrote:

My comment just took for granted that people would play the same as before and mind the spirit of the game. I suppose that there are some who need explicit rules. For instance this past weekend I taught The Resistance 3 different times with new people in each group. Every time I got to the point where I said,

Dan wrote:
"The spies will know who each other are. At the beginning of the game everyone will close thier eyes and the spies will then open their eyes and acknowledge each other."

inevitably some one asked,

'That Person wrote:
What if we peek?

I didn't think that I would have to state a rule: "No peeking or it's considered cheating."

But maybe I should have...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Hunt
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually, it is slightly different. If you are incorrectly challenged, and you receive the same role back, but different art, you know you didn't get back the card you put in. That's slightly more knowledge than with identical cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, it's wasn't clear to me that Travis didn't want the artwork discussed. It changes the game, but like I said, I'm not sure if it changes it in a bad way. Obviously, a rebel peaking to see who the spies are makes Resistance completely pointless. Allowing players to discuss their artwork on their rolecards makes Coup different, not necessarily worse.

See the difference?

(BTW, there is a rule in Vanilla Resistance that says you can't describe the art on your cards, because doing makes the game less fun. Travis put that in for a reason, because it's not obvious to people that it hurts the game.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmbmbmb
Timotheous wrote:
Actually, it is slightly different. If you are incorrectly challenged, and you receive the same role back, but different art, you know you didn't get back the card you put in. That's slightly more knowledge than with identical cards.
Another good point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.