Wendeburg
Germany
flag msg tools
Yo quiero estar contigo, vivir contigo, bailar contigo
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

I played Quarriors once and found it rather "meh", but still do want to like it as I love games involving dice and I love deckbuilding games. Yet, Quarriors fell flat for me, mainly because

1) TO me there weren't much meaningful combos/buying decision, most often we simply bought what we could afford to buy, so compared to dominion were you really have to check what cards are available and adjust your strategy accordingly (e.g. go for slim deck, action or gold), this does not seem to be the same with quarriors (then again, I played it once only)

2) Quarriors seemed to be _too_ random

While I can live with the randomness, I am asking myself wether any of the expansions adds meaningful decisions to the game or promotes going for certain combos of dice.

Thanks for your input!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Leidich
United States
Harrisburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It sounds like the game has some features you like so I'd say since you only played it once maybe give it a few more rounds.

Were you culling dice properly (reduce your dice count and therefore the randomness a bit) after scoring? This was one that my group took a few games to remember to do consistently and it makes a big difference.

Also the starting creatures and spells come out randomly as in Dominion so maybe try looking for some good combos and building a few sets of cards that give you some combos and action you are looking for instead. You won't find too many combos with the creatures (except for maybe with multiples of the same one - which can be fun as there are only 5 so sometimes there's a rush to buy a particular die) but you can combine effects well with the spells + creatures. I've noticed that some combinations of spells just don't seem to be very exciting so I've sometimes redrawn when something comes out that I know isn't going to get much action.

I only picked up the first expansion and I could take it or leave it. The other expansions may offer more. I'm not going to say it's a great game but it's a fun short one that I enjoy playing with certain players in my group.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Bailey
United States
Broomfield
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
GO ROCKIES!!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Trust your instincts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like Quarriors (conditionally), but as far as "meaningful choices" and "too random"...nope, the expansions won't change a thing. If you didn't like the original for those reasons, you still won't like it with the expansions.

You might, however, try playing your set with the 'advanced' (or super-duper, or whatever they call them) rules:

* You can buy up to two dice per turn.
* When you score a creature, you cull it and return it to the wilds. You do not get to cull any other dice for scoring.

These rules smooth out the gameplay a bit and add a pinch more decision making. Not much, but a little. Of course, some dice work poorly with these rules. Including some dice released after these rules were released.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Weber
Germany
Wendeburg
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, are these advanced rules an official addition to the game rules or are they fan-made house rules?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Bohm
United States
Appleton
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
He's talking about (mostly) unofficial rules although I do believe there are some official variants in either the base game or an expansion.

However, for the most part Quarriors is suppose to be a lighter, quicker, "deck building" game. Unlike, say, Dominion or Thunderstone, a dice builder is more random and you're right, there are not any interesting combos - instead it's more about which dice you buy and draw vs. the other players' dice.

The "combo" is trying to get a high probability of income, monsters, spells, etc to try and buy the best monsters, summon the best monsters, kill your opponents monsters, and get your monsters to score. The dice don't combo off each other, instead they "add up" to do one or more of these things.

The expansion just add more variety. I find Quarriors a fun, light filler game but if you're not liking it it's probably not worth forcing it. You're not missing anything, really.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Thornton
United States
Canby
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My understanding is the advanced rules were in the original rule set but were cut during play testing. They were reintroduced as an official variant in one of the expansions. I could be WTO g, though...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I was tempted by Quarriors ever since seeing the SUSD review for it. I was also tempted by Dominion. Quarriors just felt overpriced for what it was so I always looked at it longingly but never pulled the trigger.

Then I discovered Puzzle Strike (Third Edition) (well, I always knew about it but the theme and wrong information put me off) and I haven't looked back since. Give it a thought
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jose Negron
United States
New Hyde Park
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Moe45673 wrote:
I was tempted by Quarriors ever since seeing the SUSD review for it. I was also tempted by Dominion. Quarriors just felt overpriced for what it was so I always looked at it longingly but never pulled the trigger.

Then I discovered Puzzle Strike (Third Edition) (well, I always knew about it but the theme and wrong information put me off) and I haven't looked back since. Give it a thought :)

Quarriors is not a game I would support. I had the base and the demons expansion. Once they dropped the corrupted quiddity and released more expansions that never dealt with it I refused to support the game. The new expansions just add more of the same but do not change the game play at all. It's the same random stuff with lack of meaningful choices.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl von Laudermann
United States
Unspecified
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Pear Annoyed wrote:
My understanding is the advanced rules were in the original rule set but were cut during play testing. They were reintroduced as an official variant in one of the expansions. I could be WTO g, though...

The advanced rules are presented as a variant in the rulebook for Quarriors! Quarmageddon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig.
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I had Quarriors!, but ended up selling it to a friend in my game group. So, that means that I get to play it and he keeps buying the expansions:

Quarriors! Rise of the Demons is horrible and useless; I don't recommend it.

Quarriors! Quarmageddon along with the tweaked dice culling rules makes the game worth playing, but games can run a bit long; I still wouldn't request to play the game.

[ Quarriors! Quest of the Qladiator adds a bit too much since things can get confusing and games seem to run way to long; I don't care for this one.

Hope this helps...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.