Hide
8 Posts

Axis & Allies» Forums » General

Subject: Which Axis and Allie game should I get? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James Murray
msg tools
I played this game once about ten years ago and enjoyed it. I've been thinking of getting a copy for my gaming group (or trading for one). There are so many versions of the game, though that it's hard to choose which one would be the best fit for us.

We like tactical war games, like risk and descent, and don't mind complex rules, but don't want something too crazy or that takes too long. Also nothing too ridiculously expensive. I see that the 1942 edition is probably the most current and least expensive, but I was wondering if there are better choices. I'd be willing to trade some of my old board games too, since it's getting quite cluttered here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Chapman
United States
Powhatan
Virginia
flag msg tools
Axis & Allies Developer and Playtester; War of the Ring Editor and Playtester
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It sounds to me like you want Axis & Allies 1941.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Friend
United States
Sierra Vista
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with Kevin that 1941 would be a good choice, but I think 1942 would be a good choice as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Murray
msg tools
Thanks. I noticed that Axis and Allies Europe has the highest rating on this board. Is that meant to be played simultaneously with the Pacific edition? Where does the D-Day expansion fit in?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Chapman
United States
Powhatan
Virginia
flag msg tools
Axis & Allies Developer and Playtester; War of the Ring Editor and Playtester
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Europe 1940 can be played either alone or in combination with Pacific 1940. Either way, it's the longest and most complex version.

D-Day is a stand-alone game, not an expansion. It's one of the simpler versions, but it only accomodates three players, and it's limited in scope to northern France.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Murray
msg tools
Ah, okay thanks. So I'm guessing the Europe and Pacific is for advanced players.

What's the difference between the years? Like what makes 1941 different from 1942 editions? Are there different rules, or objectives?

Overall which one do you think is the most fun to play?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Midnight Reaper
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
I want (to play) them all, and I want (to play) them now!
badge
Let Him Beware!
mbmbmbmbmb
To my understanding, this is how things breakdown:

Axis & Allies 1941
A&A 1941 is the beginners version - simpler rules, fewer pieces, less money on the board and in your hand.

Axis & Allies: 1942
A&A 1942 is the "base" version - it is the most similar to the version that was released by Milton Bradley in the 1980's.

Axis & Allies Europe 1940
Axis & Allies Pacific 1940
A&A 1940 (in its three forms of Europe 1940, Pacific 1040, and Global 1940 (which is the Europe and Pacific games played together at the same time with some special rules from the Europe 1940 rule book)) - more complex rules, more pieces, more money on the board and in your hand.

Time wise, think about 2-3 hours for 1941, 4-6 hours for 1942, and 12+ hours for Global 1940.

If you are into getting cool looking pieces, there are different pieces in the different games (the HMS Hood is in 1941 but is not in the others, etc...)

Of all the other versions, they are either older editions of the above, themed games not exactly related to the above (D-Day, Battle of the Bulge, Minitures, etc...) or there is the latest game released with the Axis and Allies name, Axis & Allies: WWI 1914, which is about World War I instead.

As for which one is more fun, I think that is a subjective matter. I do know that if you hate longer games, 1941 would likely be a better bet.

If you have further questions, I have further answers.

-M_R
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Murray
msg tools
Great, thanks for the info, I think I'm going to start with 1941. Let me know if anyone wants to trade for it. I don't mind used as long as it's in good condition and is complete.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.