Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Buetow
United States
McHenry
Illinois
flag msg tools
Combat Commander Archivist
badge
Move! Advance! Fire! Rout! Recover! Artillery Denied! Artillery Request! Command Confusion...say what?!
mbmbmbmbmb
EOG = End of Game

Do the plantations and quarries have to be occupied with colonists to count toward the residence VP score?
According to the rules, it doesn't sound like it. But the building says "occupied island spaces." Does that mean occupied as in there's a plantation or quarry sitting on it or OCCUPIED as in, there's a colonist on it to occupy it?

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Smiles
United States
Dedham
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
admin
The ratio of people to cake is too big.
badge
Excuse me, I believe you have my stapler...
mbmbmbmbmb
The plantation tiles only have to be placed on your island. No colonists are required.

You are required to have a colonist present in the Residence Building, or you don't get any of the bonus points.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yan Ka Lun
Hong Kong
Sheung Shui
flag msg tools
mbmb
as i know...occupied means colonist is placed inside tiles or building.
so bounus are given to total number of colonist in islands place.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Smiles
United States
Dedham
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No Colonists are required for the plantations or quarries.

What the rules say:

Quote:
Residence
The owner of the occupied residence earns, at game end, additional victory points for the plantations and quarries he has placed on his island. For up to nine filled islands spaces, he earns 4 VP, for ten filled island spaces, he earns 5 VP, for eleven filled island spaces, he earns 6 VP, and for all twelve island spaces filled, he earns 7 VP.
Example: at game end, the owner of the occupied residence has filled 10 of his 12 islands spaces with plantations and quarries: he earns an additional 5 VP.

No where in the rules does it say "occupied plantation or quarry".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike tauman

New Jersey
msg tools
I may be wrong here and I don't have the game in front of me, but I believe the tile specifically uses the word "occupied" on it. Therefore, the island spaces (plantations and quarries) must be occupied with colonists for them to count for the VP bonus.

Wonder how this works with the expansion and forests since they are never occupied.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John McGeehan
United States
Manchester
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It does say "occupied" but what it means by that is "spaces on the plantation grid which are occupied by plantations", not "plantations which are occupied by colonists."

This has been clarified in the PR FAQ.

T.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Smiles
United States
Dedham
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes the Tile says occupied. It says "occupied island spaces". It does not say "occupied plantations". Island spaces are occupied by plantations and quarries. Plantations, Quarries and Buildings are occupied by colonists.

The tile could have been clearer. It's not really possible to fit the entire rules description onto every game bit, so the publishers try and give a reminder of what each building is for. Some times they succeed and sometimes they don't.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike tauman

New Jersey
msg tools
Wow thanks. We had been playing it incorrectly then. We just assumed that if they intended for the plantation/quarry tiles to count regardless of colonists on them, they would just say "# of plantation/quarry tiles on your island" as opposed to using the word occupied.

Misleading language I guess. Thank you for the info!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike tauman

New Jersey
msg tools
Tarrant wrote:
It does say "occupied" but what it means by that is "spaces on the plantation grid which are occupied by plantations", not "plantations which are occupied by colonists."

This has been clarified in the PR FAQ.

T.

Could someone give me a link to the official FAQ?

After realizing my mistake on the residence, and reading another thread about taking colonists being optional during the mayor phase (which we never realized) I am starting to think there may be a couple other things we might have interpreted incorrectly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mihael R
Croatia
Zagreb
flag msg tools
You, just sit in the car and keep the engine running. Any questions?
badge
Remember, I'm the monkey and you're the cheese grater, so no messin' around
mbmbmbmbmb
In german version of the rules there is clearly stated (in brackets) that those plantations and quarries can be occupied or unoccupied, similar to, for ex., the Guild Hall rule. In the english version of the Residence rule they must've dropped that 'occupied and unoccupied' thing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.