Subject: Play by email rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alan Clift
United States
Eaton
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Wondering out loud how the game would be if played by email for communication?

For theme, it fits that the various 'roles' are spread over the globe, so they normally update each other by email. Maybe a phone call when deep discussion is needed.

Maybe emailing would help control that dominate player who wants to tell everyone else what to do. Typing takes time and effort. And when someone does send a two page email, others can read when they want, glance over, or even ignore.

On how to actually play...
1. Share a picture of the board. Refresh it after a player's turn. Maybe have a color indicator of whose turn it is.
2. For the drawing of cards, they could be with the board and emailed what is drawn to the players. But I think giving each player a stack of cards to draw from would be better. I like the idea of people emailing saying 'Only flights I can get out of here are to....' Although 'shared' cards couldn't be physically sent to each other.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly Bass
United States
Venice
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd look to http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/364070/play-a-game-of-pandem...
as an example, though Play By Forum isn't quite the same as Play By Email.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Monreal

Saint Louis
Missouri
msg tools
I'd be down to play by mail/forum/email. It's finals week, so time is a bit crunched, but I'd have time to do this if it were like a move per day or something.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Monson
United States
Oceanside
CA
flag msg tools
mbmb
I've not played it via Email, but several of my friends and I have played the game via Skype.

It worked out great for being thousands of miles away from each other.

~Danny

"People are stupid. They will believe anything they want to believe, or anything that they are afraid to be true." - Zedd

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Kranzel
United States
Berkeley
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd be interested. I've played (and taught) the game a lot at meetups and conventions, but my GF doesn't like co-op games, so I never get to play it at home.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Clift
United States
Eaton
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Thanks for the link to the play by forum.

Issues seem to have been the Special Cards and waiting to see if any are played or not. The turn won't just go to the next player.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly Bass
United States
Venice
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I've played a Lord of the Rings PBF (A different fellowship of the Ring), which has interrupt cards. It wasn't an issue, because players had a pretty good idea of when they would want to use them, and would post something like, "If you wanted to do X on your turn, I could help, because I could play Y between your first & second action..."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.